I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think you're get a bit "courtroom"-ey about it all, m'lud. As if anyone's opinion on this stuff matters.

What we really need is @Emp_Fab to save us from ourselves by saying "Okay, I'll do it, I've decided to save up money I spend on snacks in a jar and by a fulldrive2 with it at the end of a month... just shut the fuck up you two"

I reckon if we hold out long enough we can get him to do a triathlon ;), but I suspect @fretwired will still be drinking alone.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited July 2014
    frankus said:
    by saying "Okay, I'll do it, I've decided to save up money I spend on snacks in a jar and by a fulldrive2 with it at the end of a month... 

(Ignoring the personal jibe, again)

There is that- a good approach to take it from too.
    I bought a motorcycle and a nice bicycle with my ex-drinking money.

4 pints a night is around £5k a year.
    They would buy a couple of very nice guitars.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I think the key to change is making just one at a time.. then allow enough time for it to stick.. then make the next..

my first change was of all things water.. 2L per day.. and interestingly I lost about a stone just with that

a few months later I changed all the food / eating habits etc...

a few months after that I sorted out all the gym stuff - as in, I redisgned what I did and how [cos I've been a regular / irregular gym user for many years..]

but I reckon that trying to make a great many radical changes all that the same time would be difficult to sustain..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

First change for me was cutting down sugar, IE not on cereal, 2, then 1, then none in tea (spread over 6 months). Recently (last few weeks) only havig bread/potato/pasta on weekends. And the biggest of all, only having pizza on rare occasions (birthday etc).

Need to get my health back to a point where I can start going to the gym again, and start light, and build up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    A lot of the time it's little things.  I just resisted the temptation to to get a chocolate bar frrom the vending machine at work.  In itself one chocolate bar isn't much, but I used to pretty much have one every day, which adds up.  I haven't had one for a couple of weeks now.

On the exercise front, if the OP is finding it hard climbing two floors worth of stairs then I would think he needs to build up gently given his history.

As mentioned above, exercise needs to be something that you enjoy and/or something that fits in with your life.  For me I cycle to work, or walk to the supermarket most of the time rather than drive.  I do go to the gym, but it's hard to motivate yourself to do that regularly - it's boring.

Depending on circumstances, distance to the local shop and / or work etc then walking or getting a bike would be a good option of doing something active without too much effort.  It all makes a difference.

Several years ago (before I started cycling to work), I moved offices from one where I had to get the train to work, to one where I could drive.  I got horribly unfit and quite lardy - even the 8 minute walk to the station was enough to make a difference.  When I stopped doing it every day there was a noticeable difference.
    crunchman said:
    A lot of the time it's little things.  I just resisted the temptation to to get a chocolate bar frrom the vending machine at work.  In itself one chocolate bar isn't much, but I used to pretty much have one every day, which adds up.  I haven't had one for a couple of weeks now.
    Part of the reason it is so incredibly easy to put on weight and hard to lose it is due to how we are wired.
    We are supposed to live in near famine conditions for a lot of the year but we don't- at least not in the west.

Overeating 100 calories a day for a year will put on around 5kg of fat (100x365= 36500/3500= 10.4lbs = 4.7kg).
    To lose that 5kg of fat you will have to lose around 8kg because you cannot lose fat without losing a bit of muscle too.

So a years worth of 100 calories a day weight gain will mean you need to diet and exercise away 60000 calories to get back to where you were.

So how much is 100 calories?
    2 ginger nut biscuits.
    Or 1/10th of a box of pringles.
    2/3rds of a 25g pack of Cheese and Onion crisps.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love ginger nuts :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    That's the bad news...

The good news is that to *lose* the same weight over the same time, it follows that you only have to cut your consumption by twice that much even if you need to lose 8Kg to shift 5Kg of fat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15560
    I make cracking ginger bread biscuits. I suspect each one has somewhat more than 50 cals though.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Clarky said
    now I look at fat people in a whole different way.. as in..
    "you don't have to be like that, and it's not difficult to sort it out"

Fuck me, that comes across as pompous! 
    Drew_fx said:
    Just kinda sounds like an excuse to me. You get pleasure from food? Oh grow the fuck up mate.

Unbelievable! You've never had a great meal? That you've got pleasure from? I call bollocks. Go watch a Sunset?  Wise up you hippy!
    frankus said:
    The right support works, I don't think there's anything wrong with Emp that needs psychological "treatment" he's a dude who wants to fit in a smaller pair of pants ffs!!
    Spot on.

This place scares me sometimes with the sanctimonious and condescending tripe some people spout. Fucking Mumsnet wannabes.

Right. Who's hungry?

:x
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    :P
    looks like arnie's in a 3some with 3 angry bull elephants. 1 to the left of him, 1 to the right and 1 going deeeeeeeeeeeep.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I thought it was Lou Feriggno about to turn green...

but if it's Arnie - I can hear "gnarrrn!" as he's flexing ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    VimFuego said:
    looks like arnie's in a 3some with 3 angry bull elephants. 1 to the left of him, 1 to the right and 1 going deeeeeeeeeeeep.
    Er... foursome, Vim.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

erm, I knew that.

Good thing I never had a job that required being good with numbers and stuff...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Overeating 100 calories a day for a year will put on around 5kg of fat (100x365= 36500/3500= 10.4lbs = 4.7kg).
    To lose that 5kg of fat you will have to lose around 8kg because you cannot lose fat without losing a bit of muscle too.

that's why I do weight training…
    it's not about being a body builder or anything like that.. not interested in getting all bulky
    it's to the prevent loss of muscle so that once all that fat's been stripped off, I don't end up a twig
    Clarky said:
    octatonic said:

that's why I do weight training…
    it's not about being a body builder or anything like that.. not interested in getting all bulky
    it's to the prevent loss of muscle so that once all that fat's been stripped off, I don't end up a twig
    Yes, same here mate- although I still struggle with my shoulders.

Chuffola said:
    Clarky said
    now I look at fat people in a whole different way.. as in..
    "you don't have to be like that, and it's not difficult to sort it out"

Fuck me, that comes across as pompous! 
    seriously.. it's not meant to.. more like. it can be sorted out.. you just have to be shown how.. it can be done..
    I spent my whole adult life between 16st 7 and 17st..
    and 18 months ago I was almost 18st..
    now I'm 12st 12..
    I have no special will power or anything like that at all.. and I'm just as vulnerable to eating crap as everyone else..
    just saying.. if I can do it I think most people can.. it's not as tough as you think..