It's the age old question - my solos suck! How do I improve?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    It’s my touchpad, I just can’t get there quickly enough. Some people must be amazing at mouse control!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27114
    You can do it on an ipad as well - probably slightly easier as you only have to poke it!  I just got 27. Not bad for a first go and only one wrong (multiple times) due to apparent brain fade. 

Great little tool though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If the OP's solos still suck, try a different approach, one that may work.

Play a simple tune on the guitar, Happy Birthday to You for example is fine.  Determine the key it is played in and figure out where on the neck you can play that time in that key.  It is not important to learn to play it accurately but do your best.  Then do the same in all the keys you play in (A, C, D, E, F, G etc).  In doing so you absorb the sound and tonality of the notes all over the fretboard and it gets you out of the box that likely you are stuck in.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum