Noel Gallagher gets a signature acoustic

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    RiftAmps said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    As with all luxury goods, they're not compulsory purchases so why people who won't ever buy them moan about both their existence and price is beyond me. I don't want and won't ever buy a £20k watch so you don't see me ragin' on the Rolex forums about them.
    Is it a luxury good though? I thought these things were to be played on, and not admired on a wall or from its case. I don't think Gibson can be commended on pricing anything well of late. A J150 is a stripped back J200, no? So I'm not sure why it needs to be so expensive, if it will be nearly 4k.

Of course it's a luxury good, it's not a necessity like food and water
    Didn't know that was the definition, certainly not mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    From Collinsdictionary.com

3. ADJECTIVE [ADJECTIVE noun]
    A luxury item is something expensive which is not necessary but which gives you pleasure.

I think it’s fair to say this guitar is a luxury. It’s a £4K item. So whether or not you call £4K chump change it is defined as a luxury item as it certainly is not essential. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    From Collinsdictionary.com

3. ADJECTIVE [ADJECTIVE noun]
    A luxury item is something expensive which is not necessary but which gives you pleasure.

I think it’s fair to say this guitar is a luxury. It’s a £4K item. So whether or not you call £4K chump change it is defined as a luxury item as it certainly is not essential. 

But what does that have to do with a comment about whether a 4k guitar is overpriced or not? Because we have now categorised everything other than bread, water and oxygen as luxury, the value cannot be questioned?

This is a guitar forum, amongst other things. Lots of companies sell related products or services year on year. If said products and services receive huge price increases year on year do you not expect some would be interested in commenting about that?!

So my comment has altered slightly. If it is 4k, then have gibson made it a luxury item just by slapping that price tag on it. Because for me, it doesn't need to be anywhere near that price.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    This place is hard work. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27081
    Surely given the quality of decent asian-made acoustics for £500 *anything* above that is unquestionably luxury. Who cares? No-one complains when a CS Clapton Strat is 3.5k...

I'm in the market for a new acoustic and definitely keen to try a Jumbo in addition to the LG-2 style stuff I'm expecting to end up with. If they have an NG J150 in Coda whenever I'm allowed back in the UK I'll definitely try it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Surely given the quality of decent asian-made acoustics for £500 *anything* above that is unquestionably luxury. Who cares? No-one complains when a CS Clapton Strat is 3.5k...

I'm in the market for a new acoustic and definitely keen to try a Jumbo in addition to the LG-2 style stuff I'm expecting to end up with. If they have an NG J150 in Coda whenever I'm allowed back in the UK I'll definitely try it. 
    Liam’s got a signature guitar too? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Surely given the quality of decent asian-made acoustics for £500 *anything* above that is unquestionably luxury. Who cares? No-one complains when a CS Clapton Strat is 3.5k...

Liam’s got a signature guitar too? 
    :D 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    So who's getting one then...?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited March 2021
    I would genuinely consider it, but only if I can get to a shop to play one first. Suspect if push came to shove I'd rather have a SJ-200

I can't deny NG was the initial inspiration behind my paisley Tele... 

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    I would snap one up in a heartbeat but already have a lot of money in my current acoustic so can’t justify/afford another unfortunately. 
  • I think it’s unlikely I’ll ever spend that much on a guitar. I’m a little fella too so jumbos are way too big! 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    Gibson just seem to focus on artists and dont seem to care much about the average guitarist. Maybe that elitist attitude gets people's back up and cloud judgement? I imagine putting an artist's name on also adds a few pounds to its price without doing much to the guitar?
  • I think it’s unlikely I’ll ever spend that much on a guitar. I’m a little fella too so jumbos are way too big! 
    Noel's no giant (the perfect hight if you ask me though)!
    Noel's no giant (the perfect hight if you ask me though)!
    I’m a couple of inches shorter I think at 5’6” - always found dreadnoughts more comfortable. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    CMW335 said:
    I would snap one up in a heartbeat but already have a lot of money in my current acoustic so can’t justify/afford another unfortunately. 
    Don’t feel too bad about having to keep your old beater..
  • I'd consider myself and Oasis fan, though I must admit I probably wouldn't choose to put an Oasis album on now for a variety of reasons, not least because I've heard them all so many times and my musical tastes have gotten more... Eclectic is probably the least pretentious thing I can say!

But, being at least an Oasis ethusiast, I assosciate him with an Epi J-200 (DM Cover) and Takamines. I haven't followed Oasis or Noel closely since the mid 00s but I had no idea he was synonymous with the J-150, let alone any Gibson other than his red 345/55 or whatever it is that he's seen with these days.

Am I in the minority?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I'd consider myself and Oasis fan, though I must admit I probably wouldn't choose to put an Oasis album on now for a variety of reasons, not least because I've heard them all so many times and my musical tastes have gotten more... Eclectic is probably the least pretentious thing I can say!

But, being at least an Oasis ethusiast, I assosciate him with an Epi J-200 (DM Cover) and Takamines. I haven't followed Oasis or Noel closely since the mid 00s but I had no idea he was synonymous with the J-150, let alone any Gibson other than his red 345/55 or whatever it is that he's seen with these days.

Am I in the minority?
    He’s been using the J-150 since the early 2000s I think.
  • Gibson just seem to focus on artists and dont seem to care much about the average guitarist. Maybe that elitist attitude gets people's back up and cloud judgement? I imagine putting an artist's name on also adds a few pounds to its price without doing much to the guitar?
    Most of the people flogging second hand signature guitars on eBay and the like seem to be average players (present company excepted of course) with enough spare cash to buy one new. The makers don’t target artists; they just use them as bait to part mere mortals from their hard earned dough.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    Andy79 said:
    CMW335 said:
    Don’t feel too bad about having to keep your old beater..
    Its the same look really, just needs an adidas sticker I guess  =)
    I'd consider myself and Oasis fan, though I must admit I probably wouldn't choose to put an Oasis album on now for a variety of reasons, not least because I've heard them all so many times and my musical tastes have gotten more... Eclectic is probably the least pretentious thing I can say!

Am I in the minority?
    I'm the same as you on that one. My main memory of Noel with an acoustic is the Masterplan at Knebworth (I think MTV2 used to play that about 20 times a day!), and wasn't that him and Bonehead playing Takamines.