Mike McCready Signature Strat

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 6998
Fender have released a signature Strat for Mike McCready.  A mere $15,000.

At least it’s all bashed up before it leaves the factory and I don’t need to worry about devaluing it by accidentally dropping it at the next pub gig.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/fender-debuts-new-limited-edition-mike-mccready-1960-stratocaster
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I’m sure I read an article where he heard that 1959
    was the magical year for guitars so when he had enough cash he got one (this strat it seems) then went on a mission of buying tons of 1959 strats, teles and Les Pauls (and probably other things too). And then it turns out the strat that started it all was a 1960!!!!!

they only found out it was a 1960 when fender took it apart to build the replicas. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    It'd look great repaired and painted a nice colour.

Sorry, but I don't really care about Pearl Jam and didn't even know their guitarist used a Strat - so calling it "legendary" is a bit much. It might be a great guitar but honestly its not "legendary"... and from what I see from the specs other than a Callaham block and some "custom wind" pickups (I bet they aren't that dissimilar to a regular set of early 60s pickups), its purely cosmetic guff... and the fact it looks like its been attacked by a child with spoon after eating three bags of Tangfastics isn't that appealing to a regular guitarist.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I paid less than that for an original 59.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:

Sorry, but I don't really care about Pearl Jam and didn't even know their guitarist used a Strat - so calling it "legendary" is a bit much. It might be a great guitar but honestly its not "legendary"... and from what I see from the specs other than a Callaham block and some "custom wind" pickups (I bet they aren't that dissimilar to a regular set of early 60s pickups), its purely cosmetic guff... and the fact it looks like its been attacked by a child with spoon after eating three bags of Tangfastics isn't that appealing to a regular guitarist.

He’s the lead guitarist in one of the biggest bands of the last 30 years and a pioneer of modern music as well as playing with Neil young and others in side projects.
    I’m not a Gary Moore fan and can’t name anymore than a couple of songs but I still appreciate he is a legend to many (and probably sold less records than Mike mccready)
    he has used that strat on every record and tour for the last many years and as I mentioned above, he is well known as a vintage guitar nerd 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    What's a "flat-lam" rosewood fingerboard?

I thought they were either slab (with a flat bottom) or laminated (with a uniform thickness and the radius of the maple neck matching the radius of the fretboard).

Is a flat-lam a really thin slab board?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:

He’s the lead guitarist in one of the biggest bands of the last 30 years and a pioneer of modern music as well as playing with Neil young and others in side projects.
    I’m not a Gary Moore fan and can’t name anymore than a couple of songs but I still appreciate he is a legend to many (and probably sold less records than Mike mccready)
    he has used that strat on every record and tour for the last many years and as I mentioned above, he is well known as a vintage guitar nerd 
    Erm, tbh, other than Alive and Jeremy I genuinely don't know anything at all by them.

Still doesn't change the fact it looks shit and costs an arm... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    impmann said:

Sorry, but I don't really care about Pearl Jam and didn't even know their guitarist used a Strat.

Possibly you’re not the target audience for this guitar;)

It’s a fair point that the prospective buyers don’t get much in the way of bells and whistles for their 15 grand.  Fancy pickups and a treble bleed circuit is about the height of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

Erm, tbh, other than Alive and Jeremy I genuinely don't know anything at all by them.

imagine thinking that every guitar fender made had to appeal to you?????

I wouldn’t buy it either
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Cols said:
    impmann said:

Sorry, but I don't really care about Pearl Jam and didn't even know their guitarist used a Strat.

Possibly you’re not the target audience for this guitar;)

It’s a fair point that the prospective buyers don’t get much in the way of bells and whistles for their 15 grand.  Fancy pickups and a treble bleed circuit is about the height of it.

I can absolutely assure you that original black backs are better than anything the CS makes currently.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Peach and Coda already presold their allocations. 

Gen X has money now...
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Whitecat said:

Gen X has money now...
    That’s just it. For all we ridicule and bemoan fools with their money, these guitars consistently sell without any hassle at all. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1405
    TINMAN82 said:
    Whitecat said:

Gen X has money now...
    That’s just it. For all we ridicule and bemoan fools with their money, these guitars consistently sell without any hassle at all. 
    Probably although the major dealers seem to still have stock of the Iommi SG replica and the more recent Hendrix SG Custom and Flying V. Maybe those artists are no longer in vogue or people don't rate limited edition Gibsons?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:Erm, tbh, other than Alive and Jeremy I genuinely don't know anything at all by them.

I think that's called the argument from personal incredulity.

Ten sold more copies than The Joshua Tree, Bad, or Like a Virgin.

Given JoBo has about 700 signature guitars at the last count I think Mike McCready getting one is not totally unreasonable.

Given that it's his signature guitar is also seems reasonable that it would look like the guitar he is famous for playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Mile McCready is an absolute legend. Srv and Hendrix through punk rock in a Seattle Alt Rock Band that evolved to be a huge stadium filling act over the decades. 

One of my all time faves.

Still not interested in the guitar.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited April 2021
    soma1975 said:
    Mile McCready is an absolute legend. Srv and Hendrix through punk rock in a Seattle Alt Rock Band that evolved to be a huge stadium filling act over the decades. 

One of my all time faves.

Still not interested in the guitar.
    Yep, he is to me too. They're not doing too badly - 30 years after their debut and they've shifted well over 60 million records, and still sell out arenas. I managed to see their rearranged O2 gig a couple of years back, after Eddie did his voice in. Christ that was a night. A band at the height of their powers - a three-hour set, I didn't dare take my eyes off it even to nip to the gents. In retrospect the couple of pints of pissy gig lager I had weren't the brightest idea.

The guitar - I dunno. Not my thing, but I reckon McCready's earned his stripes and if Fender want to give him a sig then fair play. As for the 'fools' buying them, I reckon the last laugh will be on us - there's no way in hell those guitars are going to fall in value.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like Pearl Jam but I couldn't name a single member.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Sassafras said:
    I don't particularly like them but I could name every member.  Including ex-members.

I'm not sure if that proves anything.
    Sassafras said:
    Not even Mike McCready?
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't particularly like them but I could name every member.  Including ex-members.

I'm not sure if that proves anything.
    Despite the otherwise stable line up, they've had more drummers than Spinal Tap. If you could spell the surname of the second (or was it third?) drummer, that would prove... well. I don't know what it would prove, other than a firm grasp of the alphabet :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    TINMAN82 said:
    Whitecat said:

Gen X has money now...
    Probably although the major dealers seem to still have stock of the Iommi SG replica and the more recent Hendrix SG Custom and Flying V. Maybe those artists are no longer in vogue or people don't rate limited edition Gibsons?
    Or maybe we’re transitioning into a new era of guitar heroes? People who looked up to guys who were doing new things in the 90s maybe don’t care as much about owning signature stuff from rock dinosaurs...