"It's no use cutting if your knife's not sharp"

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nowt to do with it being “choppers” couldn’t care less either way...

it’s just not a very good song!... same ol same ol!... pub rock at best... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Is that song a rabbi yell?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Not my sort of thing at all -  not a fan of that type of commercial-sounding American sort-of-bluesy stuff, but there's nothing wrong with it -  and I have nothing against Rob Chapman barring a couple of slightly cringey youtube videos which it'd be harsh to judge him on as I don't know him. I don't think he's anything great as a guitarist, but he's obviously done very well business-wise, so fair play. This is a terrible video though, regardless of the song or who's in it!!  =)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Thought the vid was hilarious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Philly_Q said:
    Chuffola said:
    I'm definitely not his audience  
    I really don't mean this sarcastically but what is his audience? I can't imagine what demographic would buy this stuff.
    Based on that video, diehard fans of Moody/Marsden era Whitesnake.

In the manner of I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue, I would like to hear Chappers' lyrics to the tune of It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing. (Second choice, to the tune of My Old Man's A Dustman.)

Earlier in this Discussion, somebody alluded to Polly Samson and, hence, to latter day Pink Floyd. IMO, it is the Floydesque female backing vocals that put the mockers on the rest of the arrangement.

Borrowed robes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Let's not be like the bald dude in this scene. It's easy to stay at the sales office and make fun of David Brent, but would you have the guts to put yourself out there?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    I haven't watched the video,I am on my phone and keep it quiet as Im always in company when using it,but doesnt this Chapman fella run a successful guitar manufacturing company? Why would he care what people thought? He's successful already and probably having a bit of a laugh with the money he has made,and advertising his guitars too. Win,win.
  • This fuckin' Karen of a thread. :lol:

What a brilliant time to be alive!!!

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4216
    I think if we can take anything from this, it’s that there’s a certain level of futility to undertaking...well a whole range of activities actually... unless all the required conditions are satisfied.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Bunch of Curmudgeons. 
    Fair play to him. It’s not my bag lyrically but it’s a good tune. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Please Rob put a hat on, you don’t have the complexion nor hair cover for the Maltese sun.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Some of the comments on here read more like they’re from teenage girls rather than from adult musicians about a fellow musician 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    Writing lyrics that aren't shit is hard 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    I applaud anyone with the strength and aerobic capacity to carry a Chapman guitar across all that terrain in the Maltese heat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7 said:
    Writing lyrics that aren't shit is hard 

As is singing
    And writing music 
    And playing music
    And acting in a video
    And putting it out there. 

I don't know, I think it's a bit weird that musicians tear each other down but it's not new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the problem us that Chappers has cultivated his online presence to the extent that peoples expectations of anything he does are higher than they would be for the rest of us. Lyrics aside it sounds to me like a bunch of seperate tracks that don't work as a whole.

The video is hilarious though.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Philly_Q said:
    I wasn't expecting the thread title to lead me into the world of Chappers.
    No, I was expecting it to be about choppers and chippers. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • “Free love on the free love freeway....”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4216
    edited April 2021
    I think the problem us that Chappers has cultivated his online presence to the extent that peoples expectations of anything he does are higher than they would be for the rest of us. 
    I actually think it's working from the other direction...here is a highly produced track and video by someone presenting themselves as a commercial artist, with their own in-built product placement to boot - yet people are upset with the criticism because they feel like they know him from his online presence. Nobody would be getting het up by criticism of the Stones. Nobody would be saying "well done Metallica for putting yourself out there". In a way, the criticism here is a massive back handed compliment.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    There's nothing to like or dislike about the song. The musical equivalent of beige. I've listened to it twice now and can't remember any part of it.
    It was just generic and instantly forgettable. It's unlikely to bother anyone by becoming one of those infuriating 'earworms'
    I'm not jealous of him apart from the fact he's enjoying a nice Mediterranean climate. That bit, I do envy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom