Potential break away European super football league

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4321
    I hope people don't congratulate these clubs. And I hope UEFA use this opportunity to punish these clubs. Perfect opportunity for some of them to be disqualified from this year's CL semi finals lol. 

What are they gonna do, break away and form their own league?!!
    I don't think UEFA will do anything. Ruining the semis would harm the TV deals and sponsorship. Can't but the money at risk....
    The fans will forgive this, and everything will go on as usual I think. Hope I'm proved wrong but I think some fans may even become more devoted in their bizarre religion - "they saw what they did wrong and they made it right".

No mate, they saw this could cost them money so they stopped. 
    Nah. I’m personally done with Arsenal.

Not a season ticket holder as they’re like rocking horse shit, but I had a club membership. That was cancelled yesterday. 

Everything went tits up once David Dein left and Nina Bracewell-Smith sold her shares. Kroenke has no interest in the fans or the club. He’s just going to continue to rinse Arsenal for whatever he can. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10276
    I think Arsenal probably knew they were going to join this and Kroenke didn't want to spend his money because of all the money that was coming in. So you've plummeted down the league because of a lack of investment in players. I think he gambled and now he's lost. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    So much for "we're expecting criticism and are prepared to ride it out" and "we've started legal proceedings to ensure this can happen". 

The crumbling of this thing ought to mean that the long threatened breakaway league is done for good and in a parallel universe UEFA would scrap the expansion of the already bloated CL which was only designed to appease these "big" clubs.  They won't though and there will be even more meaningless games than there already are.  In the old days, unless you lost the first leg by a cricket score, there were no meaningless games in the European Cup.  It was a heady mix of luck of the draw and pressure with no multiple second chances.  You played badly in the first leg or first half and in all probability you were done unless you raised your game to another level and earned it.  That is proper sport imo.  You ask any Liverpool or Man Utd fan about their European highlights and they will all be comebacks either in single games or two-legged games.  The whole point of the CL league stages is to allow big clubs to play badly and still progress which imo is fundamentally wrong.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 909
    As a total football dunce, I was amazed at the coverage and attention all of this got, all the way up to the PM!

Innocent and honest question, why is it such a big deal?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10276
    Because football affects a lot of people and it's an integral part of their community, their lives. It would have completely changed the game and the competitions that all clubs are involved in. That has an impact into millions of people who give those clubs their money every year. 

It's also a real time example of what happens when you let venture capitalists who have little to no regard of our communities into institutions that are engrained in them. They give no shits and will do whatever they can to maximise their profits at the expense of everyone else. 
  • When this story broke a few days ago I was worried sick if my team were included. Thankfully they weren't. (Selby Town FC).
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    The fact that UEFA are trying to hold some kind of moral high ground is pretty hilarious 
    Quite - UEFA is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 909
    Because football affects a lot of people and it's an integral part of their community, their lives. It would have completely changed the game and the competitions that all clubs are involved in. That has an impact into millions of people who give those clubs their money every year. 

It's also a real time example of what happens when you let venture capitalists who have little to no regard of our communities into institutions that are engrained in them. They give no shits and will do whatever they can to maximise their profits at the expense of everyone else. 
    But why?  I'm honestly asking and not being anti football or anything - in fact, I quite enjoy it...I just know nothing of all the politics involved!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Well that escalted quickly ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14365
    tFB Trader
    If there is any justice, then PSG will win the CL this year, Roma or Villarreal the Uefa and Leicester the FA Cup - Plus Leicester + West Ham for the last 2 CL places via their league position
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372

But why?  I'm honestly asking and not being anti football or anything - in fact, I quite enjoy it...I just know nothing of all the politics involved!
    Most likely because it generates a lot of money and tax, and removing the 6 biggest teams messes with that.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2021
    Goldman Sachs is the name you are looking for, and they have a long history of putting profit before people.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9869
    "When people show you who they really are, you should believe them the first time, not the second time"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18974
    European Super League, they think it's all over... it is now.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56830308
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Apparently the Juventus chief is blaming Brexit now!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300

I've skipped 200 posts as it's now clear it's not going to happen, hard to believe they didn't scope it out a bit more before having a public conversation.

Proposals to reduce the Premier League down to 18 teams have floated around for a while so maybe they will resurface now. For the top clubs reducing the number of domestic games when they have European matches and players called for internationals would work in their favour and there are clubs in the Premiership that  won't have enough cache for an international TV/ betting audience. No one in a sports bar in LA is watching Fulham vs Burnley.

17th and 18th get relegated each season, 16th joins the play offs so have one last go at staying up ( a must watch do or die match every year).  

Bobs yer uncle.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    When the Prem was announced the aim wad to reduce the number of teams to 18. However, turkeys don't vote for Christmas si ut was binned. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    edited April 2021
    Surviving this scare will soften the blow of the expanded Champions League, and reducing the Premier League to 18, if it comes, will seem less of a big deal.

The bigger clubs will ultimately get what they want, it's just going to take longer.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Philly_Q said:
    Surviving this scare will soften the blow of the expanded Champions League, and reducing the Premier League to 18, if it comes, will seem less of a big deal.

The bigger clubs will ultimately get what they want, it's just going to take longer.
    Liverpool and Man U were allegedly talking about 18 just last year again I think so it will seem like a more reasonable suggestion after the collapse of the European super league idea. Very much about the owners of the biggest clubs wanting to extract the most money out of the system. 

Other people will know this a lot better than me but I certainly wouldn’t  be surprised if the idea of a reduced Premiership came up again. 

scrumhalf said:
    When the Prem was announced the aim wad to reduce the number of teams to 18. However, turkeys don't vote for Christmas si ut was binned. 
    But I think it’s only really the smaller clubs within the Premiership that benefit from the existing arrangement, its already a league within a league for the most part. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9869
    edited April 2021
    Philly_Q said:

Liverpool and Man U were allegedly talking about 18 just last year again I think so it will seem like a more reasonable suggestion after the collapse of the European super league idea. Very much about the owners of the biggest clubs wanting to extract the most money out of the system. 

Other people will know this a lot better than me but I certainly wouldn’t  be surprised if the idea of a reduced Premiership came up again. 

scrumhalf said:
    But I think it’s only really the smaller clubs within the Premiership that benefit from the existing arrangement, its already a league within a league for the most part. 
    As a West Brom fan, I think we'd benefit from less games as well to be honest but that's because our team is generally pretty poor in terms of skill and fitness, so we can't hack a full season in either League as we don't have the depth of squad to cope like the big teams do.

Plus it would put us out of our misery that bit sooner
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic