Gilmour...

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited April 2021
    I think there's some conflicting standards on the forum... If I can apply what many are saying over on the Chapman thread (which has generated more traffic than this - telling in itself.)

The thing about Gilmour is at least he puts himself out there which takes a lot of confidence and is better than many here could do. People saying they don't like his music obviously are just jealous. At least he's trying. I haven't always liked his haircuts but he seems like a fairly decent guy. I don't understand why anyone has to say whether they like something or not. We should all club together and like everything. And another thing about Gilmour - he's had the guts to try and make a career in music which is no easy task. He's got loads and loads of followers on his YT channel and that's always a mark of excellence.

Does that work...? Or is it one criteria for one player and another criteria for someone else?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NoiseNoise Frets: 8
    I love all kinds of music, and even things I don't like I can generally see what's brought to the table and why some artists have the status they do. There are a few exceptions however;

Gilmour worship,
    SRV,
    The Rolling Stones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Bach and Kurt Cobain - who was the better musician? 

All I know is Bach was worse than Bite.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    edited April 2021
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    String Bending and Vibrato,Phrasing and an identity that can be recognised by one note sometimes..
    That is a lot to have as a guitarist..Gilmour is Brilliant at being Gilmour..
    He of Course isn't as Good at Being Fripp or Vai..

It's the old Question isn't it..What would Strawberry Fields sounded like if Yngwie played on it..
    For me no thanks...The right player is needed for the right music..
    I would love's Yngwie's skills but he would murder Strawberry Fields..

Gilmour, Peter Green,going back to the first Few Albums Andrew Latimer from Camel all had a wonderful touch..
    Robbie Krieger could have too I think..I think Ted Turner and Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash had feel..

I think Vai and Satriani can actually play with a lot of feel..
    They can Dazzle too though..

I love Fripp but his playing is often edgy on Purpose,like Belew etc..
    Howe is pretty Unique..I'm glad to see Hillage Mentioned around here..
    These players have no Blues in them,,they are very different from Gilmour..
    Gilmour for being a Prog Player is very Bluesy..
    Jan Akkerman was a master of unbridled craziness back in his Focus days,
    but could pull back and do feel playing..Bill Nelson never got enough lasting recognition..

Gilmour is a Master at what he does and a really identifiable player..

By the way the last band I played in was a Thrash Metal band..
    That included my version of a bit of shredding..
    I can't shred liike the legends,but maybe that's not the point..
    Maybe the point is trying to be you and stamp your identity on what you play..
    .I love McGeoch,Honeyman Scott and Marr etc..
    Even what Robin Guthrie can do with a few chords and a lot of effects..
    Will Sargent the list goes on..I don't put one style above another..
    Some Guitarist's,Guitarist Music I can't be arsed with..
    I'm not an Eric Johnson fan..
    Stevie Ray Vaughan could play a lot more notes than Peter Green,but 
    I liked Peter doing the Blues Better..He moved me more..

Gilmour is undoubtably a master at what he does..
    He is one of those guitarists that doesn't need to be able to shred..
    He is that good
    Thank F*ck as I don't want to listen to shredding all day..
    Although some players I can listen to longer than others..
    Yngwie dazzles me,but more than 10 Minutes,,I want to move on..

Genius,Talent etc...More like hard work to try and master what you want to do.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    Gilmour's all right but he'll never be a Rob Chapman.

You never know - stranger things have happened.

Only if Gilmour brings out his own range of Korean guitars.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Gilmour has the heebie-jeebies about performing now

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• AornicAornic Frets: 476
    I would consider myself a Gilmour fanboy of sorts. Even back in 2004 when I was first starting out at the age of 16, Pink Floyd's work really resonated with me and I learned all my favourite solos by him as soon as I could. I have a pedalboard specifically dedicated to his sound and have a partscaster with the Gilmour switch (which I don't really like or use to be fair).

That being said, a lot of his fanbase are quite rabid. I remember watching the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster (Strat Pack) concert video on YouTube and 90% of the comments seemed to be singing high praise of him and calling him the best performance of the night. I'd say it was Gary Moore doing Red House personally.

There's a lot of hero worship and the whole "Gilmour says more with one note than most players say with 1000" thing (Dave Mustaine even came out and said it in an interview) that is repeated ad nauseum. Gilmour has great feel and his work resonates with many in the space he's occupied - but if you take him outside of his comfort zone then he's not an on-the-fly genius. His improvising in the 80s live videos where he's on stage with other major players was good but it showed that he needed the writing of Pink Floyd to back up what he's able to do.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    stonevibe said:
    Gilmour has the heebie-jeebies about performing now

Love Richard Attenborough. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    You lot are still banging on about pink floyd!...

mathew gilmour people!!!!!! Ffs!.  How many times...

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    You can now get a "Skunky Funky" Gilmour tone in a box.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    poopot said:
    You lot are still banging on about pink floyd!...

mathew gilmour people!!!!!! Ffs!.  How many times...

I still think Billy Gilmour should be starting for Chelsea.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    None are actually as entertaining as Happy Gilmore - definitely Adam Sandler’s best work.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    I wish I could play a guitar like him . . Id take that any day  . . ! !  . . . Maybe I'm odd but I've also liked what he did after Roger left Pink Floyd, I've even enjoyed his solo stuff since then, I also love what Roger has done since leaving. One of my favourite Pink Floyd songs is "Sorrow"  . . the version on Pulse is biblical :-) 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    I’ve heard of him, I’ve definitely heard him play, but I’ve never intentionally sought out his music.  It’s the same with the Beatles, but I’ve since listened to Sergeant Pepper and loved it.  Maybe I should have a listen. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    edited April 2021
    Pink Floyd records are what you get when you can spend countless months in a studio composing guitar solos from a very limited pallette. I have no interest in hearing exactly the same guitar solo in concert, time after time.

Yes, he has a nice touch on the guitar, I would agree. But that alone is not enough. I find the later music especially to be the perfect Mondeo Man soundtrack, but that's just one man's opinion....Then again, not as dull as John Mayer, so there's that. Plus, he does have better time and phrasing than Clapton.

If we're talking Brit prog, they're far and away the least interesting to me. But people love it, so there is something in it, and I'm not going to take that away from them. 

Definitely not a genius. Miles was a genius, Joni is a genius, McLaughlin, perhaps Herbie, Chick, Wayne. It's a very small group in music. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    Greatape said:
    Definitely not a genius. Miles was a genius, Joni is a genius, McLaughlin, perhaps Herbie, Chick, Wayne. It's a very small group in music. 

You are Carlos Santana and I claim my £5.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Greatape said:
    Pink Floyd records are what you get when you can spend countless months in a studio composing guitar solos from a very limited pallette. I have no interest in hearing exactly the same guitar solo in concert, time after time.
    I sort of agree with this, at least about the studio stuff - he's even said it himself; his recorded solos are many passes of him noodling, then they go through it and bring it together into one cohesive part.

Also... every single PF solo he's ever done either starts with a full tone bend, or has one after the first note. The only exception I can think of at the moment is Another Brick in the Wall.

But, he's still an influence, so...
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    viz said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I sat on a train into Victoria once and looked up half asleep to see the great man sitting opposite me. I tried hard not to smile but couldn't help it. After a while and me taking a couple of glances to be sure I wasn't going mad he smiled.. I should have said something but didn't and wandered off into the commuting masses..
    I once saw Jimmy Page getting off a train at Victoria.  I wonder if there's a secret hangout for elderly rock stars in Croydon or Epsom?

Maybe Page travels a lot or lives near Gatwick - I sat next to him on the Gatwick Express once and we chatted for half an hour. The ticket inspector didn't even turf me out of first class!

It's all about who you know in this world.