Neural DSP Quad Cortex

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
edited July 2021 in Digital & Modelling
It gets a very good review here...
https://guitar.com/review/effects-pedal/neural-dsp-quad-cortex-game-changing-guitar-product-of-the-decade/

But I'm wondering,  how much better are Quad Cortex, Fractal FM3 etc vs the previous generation (Helix, Kemper, Amplifire)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Big thread here.  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/191592/neural-quad-core-thing-demo/p1

Personally, I think that the QC sounds good and has excellent potential but doesn't come close to the Kemper for the whole package simply because it's not the finished product. It needs a few years before you can seriously compare it as a gigging product to a tried and tested, finished and refined product. I've owned them all and if I were to have a floor modeller it would be the FM3 every day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Thanks. I know you've tried a few of them.

What are you using these days?
    Axe FX 3 and the FC12. Funny thing is it's the setup I've lusted after for ages and now I've been looking at amps again, but I'm not gonna get one. I've made a decision to keep what I've got and to stop looking at other gear. It's just a merry-go-round. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    So true. I've now got a Mesa .50 Caliber, a Marshall DSL and Atomic Amplifire! The last thing I need is another piece of gear.

Fortunately most of the new breed of modellers are too expensive for me to want to 'upgrade'.

For now at least ;-)
    Yea at the moment the used prices of the QC are the same as the new price and I sold mine as such. I think a used Kemper is amazingly priced option. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    Overall people seem to like the QC more than what has come before but plenty of people have considered it a marginal improvement, or just "as good as".

Where it seems to win is user interface which is very important. I'd have a Helix over an AxeFX because I like using the Helix a lot more even if the Axe is 1% better sounding.

At the moment I'm quite into the Boss approach where they've given up on accurate modelling and tried to go beyond what a real amp can do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Overall people seem to like the QC more than what has come before but plenty of people have considered it a marginal improvement, or just "as good as".

Where it seems to win is user interface which is very important. I'd have a Helix over an AxeFX because I like using the Helix a lot more even if the Axe is 1% better sounding.

At the moment I'm quite into the Boss approach where they've given up on accurate modelling and tried to go beyond what a real amp can do.
    This.

I never understood the obsession with super accurate amp modelling. It's not like a load of different plexi's actually sounded the same! And it seems that under 1% of players have used all the real amps so have no clue anyway.

I'm quite bored with telling metal kids that 'no - the model of a dual rec is actually quite accurate and that amp really isn't that high gain and really is a massive flubby mess in the bottom end... until you hit it with a TS or similar' - I think they believe just activating the model will make them sound like 1990's Machinehead or something.

It either sounds good or it doesn't. The name on the model is irrelevant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Totally agree.

You can get the super accurate Plexi model, jumper it, boost it, eq it etc or just have a model that sounds like what people want a Plexi to sound like in the first place.

Everyone uses the Badonk on the Helix because it's what everyone wants a recto to sound like rather than the reality.
    I've owned 3 Dual Recs and I really like them, but if they upgrade it again I hope they build in a TS that can be footswitched in on the dirt channels automatically.

Not that I'd actually buy one at £3000 these days!
  • I wouldn't call the QC game-changing. But it is very very good.

The QC has nice responding palm mutes. The Kemper slightly less so for my tastes. I've not tried an Axe FX since I had a II with the Quantum firmware. It was cool, but I never really bonded with it.

The QC has great ux. The Helix has great ux. The Kemper ux gets more bashing than it deserves in reality; it's actually pretty well thought out. The Axe isn't thought out at all in my view. Spaff a load of parameters on screen and call it done. Fortunately most of those parameters you never need to touch anyway.

The QC is absolutely ready for the stage, just as much as any of them.

Bye!

tFB Trader
    But then everyone would say it was bad because it had solid state components in it!
  • I've owned 3 Dual Recs and I really like them, but if they upgrade it again I hope they build in a TS that can be footswitched in on the dirt channels automatically.

This is why I was going to get a Badlander. Recto with tighter lows, and more 'ready to rock' tone. But I bailed out at the last second to get the QC as it happens!

Bye!

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I think its horses for courses I bought the new atomic amifbox mkII and love it, really simple to set up and dial in for me. However I get for many its not enough, my 'sound' is fairly simple I just want sounds good with my Tele, my Les Paul and my Strat - it all sounds good with my PRS so all is good ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited July 2021
    Everyone uses the Badonk on the Helix because it's what everyone wants a recto to sound like rather than the reality.
    Love the Badonk! Still one of my favourite high gain tones. Over lockdown I was sad enough to install trials of all the Neural DSP plugins and Helix Native and I think the Badonk was my favourite of the lot. The Nolly 5150 was pretty good too, as was the Helix Revv Red. Still have all the clips (isolated & mix) somewhere!
  • TTBZ said:
    Love the Badonk! Still one of my favourite high gain tones. Over lockdown I was sad enough to install trials of all the Neural DSP plugins and Helix Native and I think the Badonk was my favourite of the lot. The Nolly 5150 was pretty good too, as was the Helix Revv Red. Still have all the clips (isolated & mix) somewhere!
    Oi!! I do that every 3.33333 days!! :lol:

I'm not big on Badonkey tbh. But I love the Helix Revv Purple + Red. They're dope AF.

Bye!

• onyironyir Frets: 45
    I have a quad cortex and I'm enjoying it very much. It's been said before, it's not a game changer in terms of sounds. But coming from an Atomic Amplifire the user interface is just great.
    The capture process is pretty neat too. I have captures quite a few of my pedals and it does a great job at it.
    I've owned 3 Dual Recs and I really like them, but if they upgrade it again I hope they build in a TS that can be footswitched in on the dirt channels automatically.

This is why I was going to get a Badlander. Recto with tighter lows, and more 'ready to rock' tone. But I bailed out at the last second to get the QC as it happens!
    That does seem like a nice sounding amp.

Maybe one day - but not soon. In just over a year I have to start paying for spawn's university.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    If anyone is interested in one I’ll be putting mine up for sale here and on the usual places this weekend. I absolutely love it, but it’s not getting used and I need to free up some cash. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    edited July 2021
    Another amazing review of the QC here...
    MusicRadar verdict: A pro-quality amp modeller and effects unit that presents its many features in an easy-to-use format, the Neural DSP Quad Cortex is a triumph of design. The sound quality is incredible, the user experience unsurpassed. This is the sort of kit to make a digital convert of the most devoutly analogue player.
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/neural-dsp-quad-cortex

£1600 too spendy for me though... 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I'm still using the Fractal AX8 and won't bother upgrading until it breaks - when I do it'll be the FM3 or whatever the latest iteration is I guess - I use one sound 99% of the time and only dip into the rest of it for recording/gigging, so not worth getting the full Axe-FX3. Currently borrowing a QC from a friend who's kindly lent me one - first impressions are really good, and it seems to be just as responsive to my playing as the AX8. I've always found Kemper/Helix stuff to be a lot less dynamically responsive (if that makes sense), and never enough crunch or bite (and I'm not talking stupidly high gain either). The interface on the QC is amazing - wouldn't say the sounds are better/worse than my AX8 (which I know is quite old now!), but have yet to test it out properly and make my own patch. Finding patches on your phone and downloading them on the wifi is a neat function, and the stomp pedals which double as knobs are cool too. I think there's still some stuff they've yet to iron out, and an editor for Mac would be good, but otherwise first impressions are good and I definitely prefer it to Kemper & Helix.