Neural DSP Quad Cortex

What's Hot

Comments

• My switching jacks on my cab broke, so I hard wired it to be 16 ohms. Looks like I need to resolve that.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another delay on Quad Cortex stock.
    I have £150 deposit paid but am spending the money I had saved for the balance left right and centre.
    Currently only able to play through headphones at home, I have a Strymon Iridium into a Helix Stomp into my PC.
    Sound quality is awesome for me but was looking at treating myself to the QC so I could capture my valve amps and play at home.
    I can't help feeling like it may be a mistake to be pay out so much for the QC while its still in it's infancy.

Opinions please....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rayttk said:
    Another delay on Quad Cortex stock.
    I have £150 deposit paid but am spending the money I had saved for the balance left right and centre.
    Currently only able to play through headphones at home, I have a Strymon Iridium into a Helix Stomp into my PC.
    Sound quality is awesome for me but was looking at treating myself to the QC so I could capture my valve amps and play at home.
    I can't help feeling like it may be a mistake to be pay out so much for the QC while its still in it's infancy.

Opinions please....
    Personally, I'm waiting on a QC myself.  I do keep looking at other things, but keep coming back to the QC as the best option for me.

Would you mind sharing your info about the delay?  I'm buying from GuitarGuitar, and at the time I purchased it said due 31st August, which is obviously past.
    Click here for my feedback
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
    rayttk said:
    Another delay on Quad Cortex stock.

Opinions please....
    Depends how quickly you need a new toy. Personally, I'd go down the Kemper route.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    Hmm. If you want the whole package and you want profiling, I’d have to agree with @FarleyUK and go for a Kemper. The range of sounds, the effects, the support are all more realised with the Kemper. They sound just as good and are very cheap. My only caveat would be if you get a Stage to make sure the switches are all good when you get it. I had 4 replacements and they all had switch issues. I was unlucky. 

The QC is good but I think it needs a couple of years 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @TeleMaster is that 4 replacements all at once or spread over time? Either way, that's pretty rubbish. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    @TeleMaster is that 4 replacements all at once or spread over time? Either way, that's pretty rubbish. 
    More or less one after the other. If I remember correctly it went something like this. 

The first one had this strange cycling ticking noise that wouldn’t go away. It was meant to have been fixed with an update but it wasn’t so the shop sent me another one. 

Then there was an issue with one of the switches and it was sticky, then the input stopped working so I sent it back to the shop again. 

Then I got another one and then one of the switches stopped working. I sent it back to Kemper and they sent me a replacement, and guess what, one of the switches was sticky and crunched when you stepped on it. I sent it back to the shop and cancelled my order. 

I was an early adopter but that was ridiculous. I think they’ve sorted it all out now. 
  • The QC has more of a future than the current iteration of the Kemper. Current QC you get:

- 4 captures in one preset
    - Modelled amps as well
    - A ton of delays and reverbs with spillover between scenes even when they're put before the amp (not true of the Kemper)
    - A better impulse response loading scheme than the Kemper
    - Better drive options
    - Better bass guitar options

I own the Kemper and the QC. Both sound very good to me. But if I was buying completely fresh now, I'd just get the QC.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Would you mind sharing your info about the delay?  I'm buying from GuitarGuitar, and at the time I purchased it said due 31st August, which is obviously past.
    I paid a deposit to Andertons in June for July delivery, then put back to mid August, then the end of August now ……who knows.
     I have not had a Kemper so would have been up for that but I’m actually using the Stomp as an interface and prefer the all in one set up rather than buying an interface .
     I think I will try it when it eventually arrives and just send it back if it’s not as good as I was expecting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rayttk said:

Would you mind sharing your info about the delay?  I'm buying from GuitarGuitar, and at the time I purchased it said due 31st August, which is obviously past.
    I paid a deposit to Andertons in June for July delivery, then put back to mid August, then the end of August now ……who knows.
     I have not had a Kemper so would have been up for that but I’m actually using the Stomp as an interface and prefer the all in one set up rather than buying an interface .
     I think I will try it when it eventually arrives and just send it back if it’s not as good as I was expecting 
    Thank you!
    Click here for my feedback
  • Before my next practice I'm gonna rewire my cab to be 4ohm, and try the Powerstage 200 again. At home it sounds really good, with any of my modellers. So I think it's worth persevering.

Failing that.... I'll just stick with my JVM and/or VH4. Those are my favourite amps right now.

What I'd like to see from Kemper is a completely new unit, something to truly rival the AxeIII, Helix, and now QC. The tones in the studio are great. But it doesn't really work in a live situation for me, and I have the remote too!!

I know a lot of people use them though, so it's probably just my particular quirks and expectations. Which is totally fine. We all have them.

I don't think any of the modelling platforms are superior to one another - I've heard some super shit tones from an AxeIII and I've heard some balls out amazing tones from the Helix. The received wisdom is that the Helix is shite, and the AxeIII is good. But it's all dependent on the player and their ears and how they dial in their tones.

I think it's objectively true though that the QC has more room to grow than the Kemper. The Kemper hasn't had a significant form factor change or DSP power change since it was released. That was 10 or 11 years ago now!

Bye!

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 364
    edited September 2021
    My Kemper totally works in a live environment for me, nice and loud through my Redsound. I’ve been back to a ‘real’ amp and been disappointed with it’s lack of flexibility...
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Atomic Amplifire still sounds great after all these years :-)
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    A video I made showcasing the QC capture tech in conjunction with a couple of vintage amps: https://youtu.be/hosHMI31-NA
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisv said:
    A video I made showcasing the QC capture tech in conjunction with a couple of vintage amps: https://youtu.be/hosHMI31-NA
    Nice one, looking forward to doing this when my QC arrives.
  • @chrisv ;

Really nice tones and playing man!!

To me, the fuzzy tones sounded gainier, but not even in a bad way. I've sometimes observed similar when capturing amps and pedals too.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    @chrisv ;

Really nice tones and playing man!!

To me, the fuzzy tones sounded gainier, but not even in a bad way. I've sometimes observed similar when capturing amps and pedals too.

Thanks! I’m having a LOT of fun with this thing…

• QC in bound!
    received an email from Andertons today saying it was in stock, phoned immediately to pay in full and asked for quickest delivery which is Sunday 

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    1.2.0 is out. 4 new amps, 4 new reverbs, 3 overdrives. Won't have a chance to download until next week but looks cool 
  • I installed it yesterday. The 5150's are cool. The reverbs are cool. That's about it.

Bye!