New Sports At The Olympics

What's Hot
fobfob Frets: 1430
edited July 2021 in Off Topic
There are a few new sports making their debut at the Tokyo Olympics this year:

Baseball (men) and Softball (women) - I think these have been included before and are being reintroduced.

Climbing - a few may scoff at this one but I find it quite exciting to watch.

Karate - looking forward to this. I 'played' Judo for years but it's one of the dullest sports to watch.

Skateboarding - not for me but I'm sure this will be hugely popular.

Surfing - this will be interesting to watch; it feels like the 'surf' would play a massive part in the outcome.

I don't understand how Squash isn't an Olympic sport - incredibly popular, exciting to watch and requires real athleticism. It almost feels like there's some conspiracy against it by the Olympic committee. Conversely, I don't think Tennis should be in (and I love Tennis) - any sport where the Olympic gold isn't the biggest achievement in the sport shouldn't be there as far as I'm concerned.

What do you make of the new inclusions? Any sports you think should be included? Any that should be taken out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I'm only really bothered about baseball being in it because I hate American sports.  But I'm not obliged to watch it...

The other new ones sound quite interesting although surfing seems to be too much at the mercy of nature.  I agree with you about squash, it really does seem odd that it's not an Olympic event.

I don't mind things like tennis and golf being Olympic events.  It's not the pinnacle of those sports, but the Olympics itself is a pinnacle of sport and it really seems to mean something to those competitors to have an opportunity to compete for an Olympic medal.

I know some people will start a "games versus sports" argument, but lets have darts and snooker in there.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Interesting. 

I'm not too sure about baseball, but Climbing, Karate and Skateboarding will all be great. 

Surfing will be exciting to watch, but maybe a bit too much luck involved because of the waves. I don't know how they make it fair so maybe it's not an issue.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Baseball is a decent game that's ruined by adverts - much like NFL football. In person you don't mind the slow pace because it's a good way to spend an afternoon with beers and hotdogs. I assumed Olympic baseball will be much a faster pace and thus half decent to watch on TV. 

How is climbing being scored? Pace or style or skill because they make the routes so hard most people will fail to reach the top? I assume competitive climbing is already a thing with rules and such
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I think there are three disciplines in climbing - the speed climbing will probably get the most attention:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

How is climbing being scored? Pace or style or skill because they make the routes so hard most people will fail to reach the top? I assume competitive climbing is already a thing with rules and such
    The climbing is following the world Cup format I think. So, bouldering, speed climb and lead climb with points awarded for time, holds reached and number of attempts needed to get the route. 

Shauna Coxsey is someone I've followed for a long time, and if she stays fit, is a good bet for a GB medal in climbing. Unfortunately she's had some bad shoulder injuries over recent times. 

Here's a highlight video that'll give you an idea what to expect. It's actually really exciting and draws big crowds. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I'm all for trying new (or reintroducing) things in the Olympics.

And I agree that sports where there are bigger or massively more professional competitions outside the Olympics shouldn't be there. Basketball or Football for example. Both get plenty of coverage as it is away from the Olympic Games - let Archery, Swimming etc get a look in for a few weeks. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    I think MMA should be in there.

Or fighting with knives.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I agree on squash. I used to play it to a reasonable level in my youth. It's a brilliant sport.
    I think I'd drop down dead inside of 5 minutes if I tried to play now.

I've competed in Tae Kwon Do but I've never seen a Karate tournament so I'm interested to see how different it will be. Looking forward to that. The climbing looks fun!

I love the Olympics, summer and winter. I hope it goes well.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I agree on squash. I used to play it to a reasonable level in my youth. It's a brilliant sport.
    I think I'd drop down dead inside of 5 minutes if I tried to play now.

I've competed in Tae Kwon Do but I've never seen a Karate tournament so I'm interested to see how different it will be. Looking forward to that. The climbing looks fun!

I love the Olympics, summer and winter. I hope it goes well.
    !!!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That doesn't count! and neither does Bloodsport or Enter the Dragon!

:D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    Isn't there going to be baking this year
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    mgaw said:
    Isn't there going to be baking this year
    Tokyo in the Summer? I should think so.
  • Freestyle BMX is another new one this year. Should be a good watch if you like that kind of thing, which I do.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freestyle BMX is another new one this year. Should be a good watch if you like that kind of thing, which I do.
    I had a BMX when I was a kid. There used to be a track in the town. I lost count how many times I crashed! :D 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Can't wait for climbing. It is a really exciting sport that is highly skillful. Perfect Olympic fodder.

Tennis, Football, Baseball, Golf etc should be nowhere near the Olympics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14230
    tFB Trader
    My daughter does quite a bit of this climbing, so she can't wait to see it
    tFB Trader
    Can't wait for climbing. It is a really exciting sport that is highly skillful. Perfect Olympic fodder.

I agree if the sport is big on in its own rights , as per your list, then it should not be in the Olympics - For many sports stars then an Olympic medal is their biggest 'aim' - ie Judo, shooting, athletics, kayak, swimming etc etc - But for those huge, money loaded, stand alone sports, like golf, tennis, football etc then a gold medal will be a nice touch to win, but after the Masters, Wimbledon, WC etc etc

If they do have such an event, then tweak it and make it a different version - ie 5 a side football, or a par 3 shoot out for golf , with 2 players at a time, in say a 9 hole knock out format in a Wimbledon style draw, so a final after 4/5/6  rounds   - I like the idea of what they have done with Rugby 7's 

Maybe I'm being silly now, but why not a 'pentathlon' multi racquet sport version, whereby you play your opponent, with 1 set of Badminton, then squash, then tennis - Each played on a first to 21 point basis - Play all 3 racquets sports, winner is the overall winner of total points acquired  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691

I’d actually extend that to synchronised swimming, gymnastics, diving or any other activity where the winner is chosen a subjective basis. I acknowledge that they’re all disciplines that require skill, dedication etc. but if the winner is obviously the first one across the line or the most goals/points then it’s not a sport to me. There’s even pressure to get chess accepted as an Olympic sport FFS!
    tFB Trader
    drofluf said:

I’d actually extend that to synchronised swimming, gymnastics, diving or any other activity where the winner is chosen on a subjective basis. I acknowledge that they’re all disciplines that require skill, dedication etc. but if the winner is obviously the first one across the line or the most goals/points then it’s not a sport to me. There’s even pressure to get chess accepted as an Olympic sport FFS!
    Don't get me started on this - I agree all competitors have spent hours perfecting the art and I can't knock that oneiota  - But I prefer it when the winner is chosen by 'first past the post' on time, distance, points scored etc - Not by a panel of judges and an 'opinion' - My daughter disagrees with me on this, especially as she did gymnastics for a while and loves to watch Simone Biles - We know Boult won, and Mo, and Redgrave + Jason Kenny + Hockey team etc etc

Time for me to retreat 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    drofluf said:

I’d actually extend that to synchronised swimming, gymnastics, diving or any other activity where the winner is chosen on a subjective basis. I acknowledge that they’re all disciplines that require skill, dedication etc. but if the winner is obviously the first one across the line or the most goals/points then it’s not a sport to me. There’s even pressure to get chess accepted as an Olympic sport FFS!
    Don't get me started on this - I agree all competitors have spent hours perfecting the art and I can't knock that oneiota  - But I prefer it when the winner is chosen by 'first past the post' on time, distance, points scored etc - Not by a panel of judges and an 'opinion' - My daughter disagrees with me on this, especially as she did gymnastics for a while and loves to watch Simone Biles - We know Boult won, and Mo, and Redgrave + Jason Kenny + Hockey team etc etc

Time for me to retreat 
    Is there room for one more in that bunker of yours? :)