Iron Maiden - New Material!

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Honestly...I thought the video was great, and it'd make a good full-length animated film.

The song? Meh. Feels like they're phoning it in. In fact, it's felt like that since they finished A Matter of Life and Death - that was the last album that sounded like they'd put a lot of effort into it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    Glad to have seen them in their heyday of ‘83, ‘84 & ‘86. Briefly met them twice as two ticket stubs are signed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Glad to have seen them in their heyday of ‘83, ‘84 & ‘86. Briefly met them twice as two ticket stubs are signed. 
    You've just reminded me I've got Nicko's autograph somewhere.  Rather randomly, my brother got it for me at some event promoting Schwarzkopf hair colours...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    I think it was ok..  I very much liked Book of Souls, this song sort of sounds like it should have been part of that album but wasnt good enough...
    I'm afraid my problem with The Book of Souls is that it's just too long!  I like to listen to whole albums, not individual tracks, but 90+ minutes is a lot of time to commit and by the end I'm just not paying attention like I was at the beginning.  I sometimes resort to playing the tracks in random order just so I'm not always hearing the last few tracks half-asleep, but that's not how it's meant to be listened to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3066
    It’s very drab… but then I find most of the material that Maiden have produced in the last twenty years, quite boring.  

The main riff is nicked from the My Generation jam from The Who Live At Leeds.  
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    edited July 2021
    Its alright, but can't see myself ever listening to it again.
    Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica and similar are all still brilliant live, but we're looking at 20-40 years since their last classic material was released. 
    Does anyone really want this new song going in the set at the cost of a classic? 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    DefaultM said:
    Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica and similar are all still brilliant live, but we're looking at 20-40 years since their last classic material was released. 
    Does anyone really want this new song going in the set at the cost of a classic? 
    I remember when I went to see the Dance of Death tour (I think), and the only 'classic' they played was Number of the Beast - when they finished the gig and the lights came up, I've never heard a crowd boo so much.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    They've just announced the new album.

I'm a big fan, they are one of my favourite bands, but even my heart sank looking at that tracklisting. Another double album. Three songs over ten minutes to end the album. Harris really needs a producer that will say no to him.

https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/im17

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    DefaultM said:
    I'd always rather hear new material. 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    New album Senjutsu announced for Sept 3rd....for those that want short snappy songs “move along please, nothing to see here”

1.  Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20

2.  Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59

3.  The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13

4.  Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31

5.  Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03

6.  The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09

7.  Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20

8.  Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20

9.  The Parchment (Harris) 12:39

10.  Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355

I'm a big fan, they are one of my favourite bands, but even my heart sank looking at that tracklisting. Another double album. Three songs over ten minutes to end the album. Harris really needs a producer that will say no to him.

Plus they've used Kevin Shirley yet again so the drums will sound like cardboard boxes, and the whole album will sounds like it was recorded and mixed in an even bigger cardboard box :-(

I cannot for the life of me understand why that guy gets so much work.  Every release I've ever heard that he's been involved in, be it Maiden, Europe, Journey, whoever, always has the same dry, lifeless production with no sparkle or clarity.  Baffling.
    FarleyUK said:
    DefaultM said:
    I remember when I went to see the Dance of Death tour (I think), and the only 'classic' they played was Number of the Beast - when they finished the gig and the lights came up, I've never heard a crowd boo so much.
    I really like Brave New World and Dance of Death, that period when Adrian and Bruce came back - I think they're two of the band's best albums.  But since then they're gone back into a bit of a rut... the last few albums have not been bad, but I find them rather hard work.  They really should change producers every couple of albums, but it's obviously not the way they prefer to work.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I had Dance of Death in mind as that's the tour I saw them on, and I thought it was 2001 but it's 2003. Still almost 20 years though. 
    That's the last new album of theirs I enjoyed. Probably not considered a classic though to be fair.

Here's the setlist from the show I saw. I couldn't actually hear the first 3 songs it was so ear splittingly loud. I remember being pleased they played Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Wildest Dreams
    Wrathchild
    Can I Play With Madness
    The Trooper
    Dance of Death
    Rainmaker
    Brave New World
    Paschendale
    Lord of the Flies
    No More Lies
    Hallowed Be Thy Name
    Fear of the Dark
    Iron Maiden

Encore:
    Journeyman
    The Number of the Beast
    Run to the Hills
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Have seen them live 3 times. They definitely do need to get over themselves and start writing shorter, punchy metal songs again. These rambling operatic numbers with Dickinsons earnest vocals, exaggerated vibrato and vanilla lyrics are getting very wearing. There’s a reason the crowd goes bananas when they play Trooper or 2 minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    StefB said:

Plus they've used Kevin Shirley yet again so the drums will sound like cardboard boxes, and the whole album will sounds like it was recorded and mixed in an even bigger cardboard box :-(

I cannot for the life of me understand why that guy gets so much work.  Every release I've ever heard that he's been involved in, be it Maiden, Europe, Journey, whoever, always has the same dry, lifeless production with no sparkle or clarity.  Baffling.
    Yes its true it always sound so muffled and boxish,I cant understand why?.I remember reading that Harris wanted Maidens sound to sound natural.Well to the human ears nothing sounds like a cardboard box,unless we have a crappy hifi.Harris's ears must be full or paper.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4787
    edited July 2021
    Agree wholeheartedly on the Kevin Shirley production and someone to rein in Harris, and the whole band for that matter. I will argue though that Metallica did come up with new material on Hardwired that is as good as their old stuff and sounds amazing to boot. Plus one of them songs is now a set staple, so it can be done. They still could do with someone around them being realistic like, and telling them no too. :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
    Philly_Q said:
    FarleyUK said:
    DefaultM said:
    I really like Brave New World and Dance of Death, that period when Adrian and Bruce came back - I think they're two of the band's best albums.  But since then they're gone back into a bit of a rut... the last few albums have not been bad, but I find them rather hard work.  They really should change producers every couple of albums, but it's obviously not the way they prefer to work.
    Exactly my sentiments. BNW and DoD are two of my favourite albums. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I like the song, and as for production; it may not be Birch but its still better than 99% of metal production these days 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    Looking at the song lengths of the new album 'Senjutsu' I think it's going to be much the same as TBOS. Songs that are too long, too repetitive. I just hope the mix/mastering is an improvement on TBOS. I think Steve H has almost too much control at this point. Take 'The Red and the Black' from the last album, could have been a decent 4 minute song but it is so unnecessarily drawn out. Shame as BNW and AMOLAD are two of my favourite Maiden albums full stop.