Iron Maiden - New Material!

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    edited August 2021
    New song out tonight, yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn, and it's the shortest on the album.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Rabs said:
    Loved the intro - but I personally hate songs where the guitar follows the verse vocal melody. You can tell the solo isn't an Adrian Smith one - another Maiden song where it's a case of 'hot as many notes in a flurry as fast as you can'. I'm guessing this is Janick.

I really like the 'gallop' being back too. Bruce's vocals sound better on this as well IMO. Sounds like if they made a modern version of Powerslave in parts.
    edited August 2021
    It's crazy what people hear isn't it? I thought it was dull as ditchwater, like all maiden material since AMOLAD, as far removed from classics like Powerslave as it's possible to be  . I thought Writing On The Wall was a better song.

It's like heavy metal wallpaper or elevator music even, of course this is all IMO, great to hear differing opinions but I wish they'd piss off now and stop tarnishing their name

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    It's crazy what people hear isn't it? I thought it was dull as ditchwater, like all maiden material since AMOLAD, as far removed from classics like Powerslave as it's possible to be  . I thought Writing On The Wall was a better song.

It's like heavy metal wallpaper or elevator music even, of course this is all IMO, great to hear differing opinions but I wish they'd piss off now and stop tarnishing their name
    That's the joy of music! :)

TBH, that was just after one listen. Will spin it up again later and see if my thoughts differ...
  • Massive maiden fan - still rather underwhelmed by both releases from the new album so far. Production is pretty horrible. That cheesy synth patch is particularly grating, surely there was a better sound on the synth than that? Also don't like the guitar melody playing under the vocals - it's just not a technique I like in anything. 

On the plus side it's nice to hear a gallop. 

I loved the first few post-reunion albums. I think AMOLAD is one of the band's best records. But the production is getting worse - as is the self editing. There was a great album in Book of Souls with some trimming, and I fear there's going to be the same problem with Senjutsu. 

FarleyUK said:
    Boromedic said:

TBH, that was just after one listen. Will spin it up again later and see if my thoughts differ...
    OK, I've re-listened a few times after listening to TWOTW again... and I actually think on the whole I prefer the first single. Can't get over the bloody guitar - vocal melody. I do really like the modal change though!

I'm not expecting much from the album TBH, just more bloat and terrible production. They need someone to reign Steve Harris in a bit I think.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I'd say there are at least 50 metal albums this year with worse production.

No triggered drums, no EMGs. 
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Boromedic said:

OK, I've re-listened a few times after listening to TWOTW again... and I actually think on the whole I prefer the first single. Can't get over the bloody guitar - vocal melody. I do really like the modal change though!

I'm not expecting much from the album TBH, just more bloat and terrible production. They need someone to reign Steve Harris in a bit I think.
    Definitely agree on the last comment for sure, I think Martin Birch used to argue more....

I've also listened again and it's better than I thought, hahaha. However it's still plodding and pointless, I get the point about the gallop like. Still think Writing is the better track though. 

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Also don't like the guitar melody playing under the vocals - it's just not a technique I like in anything. 

FarleyUK said:
     Can't get over the bloody guitar - vocal melody. I do really like the modal change though!

I was listening to it earlier and wondering why I didn't like that bit....absolutely spot-on. Other than that it's a vast improvement on the first single imo, although I don't think the solo is great and it's out of tune in places (to my ears). Agree on comments about production too. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    All a bit yawn some, didn't Maiden peak with The Trooper? (or is that me showing my age).

Time to quit while they're ahead and have energy for new projects before they become their own tribute band.
  • pmbomb said:
    All a bit yawn some, didn't Maiden peak with The Trooper? (or is that me showing my age).

Time to quit while they're ahead and have energy for new projects before they become their own tribute band.
    They are one of the least old tribute bands around. They always play new material on tour. Which is one thing I really like about the band. 

And no they didn't peak with The Trooper, Seventh Son is widely considered one of the best metal albums ever recorded. And in my opinion AMOLAD (a post reunion) album is almost as good. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    pmbomb said:

They are one of the least old tribute bands around. They always play new material on tour. Which is one thing I really like about the band. 

And no they didn't peak with The Trooper, Seventh Son is widely considered one of the best metal albums ever recorded. And in my opinion AMOLAD (a post reunion) album is almost as good. 
    I think they've remained more vital than the vast majority of their contemporaries, and they've continued to produce worthwhile new material in an era when many bands have given up recording long ago and become greatest-hits touring acts.

I just wish they'd make all their new songs 50% shorter.
    pmbomb said:

was slightly tongue in cheek re Trooper tho I'm very fond of it.

I think I've just been listening to them too long really, Number of the Beast was my first contemporary album.

they're probably now on their fourth (?) generation of fans, who bring fresh ears to a well executed formula and so it rolls on.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    edited August 2021
    Philly_Q said:

I just wish they'd make all their new songs 50% shorter.
    I like the long songs. But they just don't need to be that long. The Red and the Black is an absolute cracker, but you could easily shave five minutes off it.

pmbomb said:

they're probably now on their fourth (?) generation of fans, who bring fresh ears to a well executed formula and so it rolls on.
    Yes my two sons (14 and 12) have loved Maiden for a while and are very keen on seeing them live for the first time. Hope they get the chance. 

Mannnnnn, Aces High has just come on't wireless, fuckin brilliant. Maiden haven't sounded that good since Brave New World. It's a dam shame tbh, what an spell they had between their debut and Seventh Son. What a band, now look. It's just not the same.

Boromedic said:
    Mannnnnn, Aces High has just come on't wireless, fuckin brilliant. Maiden haven't sounded that good since Brave New World. It's a dam shame tbh, what an spell they had between their debut and Seventh Son. What a band, now look. It's just not the same.
    See, that's another song I cannot stand due to the guitar following the vocal line....!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021
    Hahaha, there is no hope for you

Seriously though that's a real Maiden trademark, do you like any of their stuff?!? 

Still beats owt they've done since Dance Of Death, but I know if something like that really grates on you then it's difficult to get past.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    When it comes to Maiden trademarks, I always found the galloping basslines more irritating than the guitars following the vocal line... now I don't really mind either, in moderation.
    surely Bruce going 'whoa whoooaaa' when he can't think of words is the Maiden trademark?

(we could be here a while).