Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    I also watched it because its racing and fast and furious.  Good sport but...I couldn't help think that a) the bikes are a bit small and b) they need a better gearing on the bike.  Peddling is far too fast.  I get that they are fixed wheel but a change to the gearing would get them higher speeds, no? 
    Higher gear and the acceleration would be rubbish off the start and out of the corners and they be left for dead. You need to be able to get short sharp pedals in between the jumps and rollers too (you can’t efficiently pedal a roller, much better to pump it). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    I don’t know what’s happening on other tv platforms but our (basic) Sky package has suddenly got 5 or 6 extra free Eurosport channels showing the Olympics. I say showing, as some of the channels have got no sound. I don’t think the Beeb is doing that badly, I’ve managed to watch a lot of live stuff via 1 and 2 plus red button. I’ll qualify that with I’m retired so can watch at any time. The evening highlight shows aren’t good though, too much unnecessary background waffle and not enough action. Anyone else hate Alex Scott always droppin the g’s off the end of her commentatin ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I also watched it because its racing and fast and furious.  Good sport but...I couldn't help think that a) the bikes are a bit small and b) they need a better gearing on the bike.  Peddling is far too fast.  I get that they are fixed wheel but a change to the gearing would get them higher speeds, no? 
    The bikes do look sort of wrong and I wondered about the gears but I presume they’ve given it all a lot more thought than I have. 
    There were some gymnastics on beforehand. Young women covered in chalk moving between breath taking moves and disco poses absolute classic Olympics. The score lines are 13.668 beats 13.667 kinda stuff so impossible to know at home what’s going on really. But it's the Olympics as I remember it as a child moreorless so I quite enjoyed it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Saw some trampolining for the first time today - well done to Bryony Page for getting a bronze. It's kind of like diving but you dive 10 times without hitting the water. Plus you don't get wet.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1581
    Rocker said:
    Ireland is buzzing right now.  Two Olympic medals in two days!  The Women's Four won Bronze and the Lightweight Double Sculls pair won Gold.  And there is always the possibility of further successes.

Yeah - great job by the lads. S'funny with Covid we all became expert virologists/immunolgists. Every Irish male you speak to now - including me, who's never been in a boat - is an expert on rowing and sculling.

I do love listening to any of the two O'Donovan boys' post-race interviews btw, in particular the insights on the finer points of their finely honed race strategy .. "Just pull like a dag bai..." :)
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1581
    They cant be fixed wheel surely ?

They'd have to keep spinning over the yumps - pretty sure they dont.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    edited July 2021
    They're not fixed. They are single speed though. I understand that there's an old rule hidden away that they can have two gears but no-one really uses that as the reliability vs advantage would not pay off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    You just assume that BBC and the Olympics was the perfect partner - Certainly historically - But I've now switched my coverage to Eurosport - I didn't even know it was on Eurosport until the other day

Just watched the 10,000 metre final - started 12.30 and Eurosport showed live coverage

BBC started, with a full race, albeit 15 mins later at 12.45 

I'm finding the short iplayer and BBC hi-light show coverage below par with not enough action
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    You just assume that BBC and the Olympics was the perfect partner - Certainly historically - But I've now switched my coverage to Eurosport - I didn't even know it was on Eurosport until the other day

Just watched the 10,000 metre final - started 12.30 and Eurosport showed live coverage

I'm finding the short iplayer and BBC hi-light show coverage below par with not enough action
    ...and all because the IOC sold Prime European Rights to a U.S Provider. The BBC used to show 5000 hours over 24 channels plus iPlayer.

This time round, 350 hrs over 2 channels with restrictions on on demand content as well. 
  • I also watched it because its racing and fast and furious.  Good sport but...I couldn't help think that a) the bikes are a bit small and b) they need a better gearing on the bike.  Peddling is far too fast.  I get that they are fixed wheel but a change to the gearing would get them higher speeds, no? 
    For a bit of context, the top Tour de France sprinters will typically put out 1400 to 1500 Watts. The BMX guys are spinning 2000 Watts at the start! 
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffa said:
    They're not fixed. They are single speed though. I understand that there's an old rule hidden away that they can have two gears but no-one really uses that as the reliability vs advantage would not pay off.
    Twan van Gent of the Netherlands was using a 2 gear bike. First time that rule has been used in International competition. Looked good in the early rounds but not good enough for a medal.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:

...and all because the IOC sold Prime European Rights to a U.S Provider. The BBC used to show 5000 hours over 24 channels plus iPlayer.

This time round, 350 hrs over 2 channels with restrictions on on demand content as well. 
    Thanks - As I said, you just historically link the Beeb with the Olympics - So until the event was with us I was not aware of a 'restricted service' so had not picked up on ant chatter as to why etc  
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    For a bit of context, the top Tour de France sprinters will typically put out 1400 to 1500 Watts. The BMX guys are spinning 2000 Watts at the start! 
    For even more context, the top Tour de France sprinters ride 150 Km or more per day for 3 weeks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Awesome performance by the Triathletes. All four outstanding. 
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Amazing performances from them all, so pleased for Jonny getting gold finally. Alex Yee looks an outstanding talent.
    tFB Trader
    kuro said:
    Amazing performances from them all, so pleased for Jonny getting gold finally. Alex Yee looks an outstanding talent.
    agree about joy for Jonny

Swimming mixed medley was fantastic and intriguing - especially when you can put the girls and/or guys in which order suits - So a lead or deficiet means little until the final length  - great to watch it unfold
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Shrews said:
    Awesome performance by the Triathletes. All four outstanding. 
    Watched this live last night (or whatever the BBC consider live these days).  Great performance and fascinating to watch.  Loved it.  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    kuro said:
    agree about joy for Jonny

Swimming mixed medley was fantastic and intriguing - especially when you can put the girls and/or guys in which order suits - So a lead or deficiet means little until the final length  - great to watch it unfold
    I really enjoyed the Triathlon and 100m Medley mixed relays last might - two GB golds helped.  First time I've got really engaged with these Olympics.
    kuro said:
    Yeah, so happy for Jonny to get a gold. Must be tough to be as good as him yet still be in your brothers shadow for much of your career.

Alex Yee will only get better!

I loved the mixed Tri, particularly the way they take a running dive into the water, that looked rather exciting!
    Another big thumbs up for the mixed swimming, very exciting to watch. I couldn't believe we won looking so far back. Olympic record as well!

Mixed events are a great new idea, I just watched the mixed 400m relay on the track, very good.