What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5269
    The First Transformers Movie....watching it with the youngest lad recently...he loves the robots and some girl called Megan Fox is quite nice looking
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited November 2015
    Mr Blue Sky The Story Of Jeff Lynne

Stuck for something to watch so plumped for this. I know very little about him and ELO, one of those bands where I know some of the songs but didn't know it was him/them.
    Lots of interesting stuff for me on who he worked with and his influence on music in general. I'm now a big admirer of Jeff Lynne, comes across as a genuinely nice guy, a bit quirky and amusing, ultimately massively talented in every respect. His house is awesome, guitars and instruments everywhere, he lives for music and is now becoming my new man crush.
    Interviews with McCartney, Tom Petty, Ringo Starr etc. Really enjoyed it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yeah Mr Blue Sky is an excellent watch and re-watch
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Fury. Last night. It's been compared to Private Ryan among some of the reviewers. Nah. Not quite. Decent enough though for a lads night in.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Moon, on TV the other night.

It was quite good, although all a bit contrived and with far too many 2001 steals, and the point of the whole premise wasn't really obvious unless I missed something...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Deadman;875882" said:
    Fury. Last night. It's been compared to Private Ryan among some of the reviewers. Nah. Not quite. Decent enough though for a lads night in.
    I thought Fury was ace, taking into account I had no desire to watch it.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Just watched Inside Out. I was rather underwhelmed.
    People are talking about this being a possible best picture at the Oscars. Not best Animation. Best Picture.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Skipped said:
    Just watched Inside Out. I was rather underwhelmed.
    People are talking about this being a possible best picture at the Oscars. Not best Animation. Best Picture.
    I liked it a lot but that's a bit silly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I watched Star Wars for the first time in years last night (original, no lucas tweaks) and it wasn't as good as I remember. Still, enjoyable enough. I think I just found the constant wipes, irises and so forth intrusive, like Lucas had just found the editing machine or something. And we played the 'bad dialogue' drinking game. Got pissed.

Anyway, saw Platoon for the first time in years as well last week and again not as good as I remember. It seemed very heavy-handed. Even Kubrick managed some humour in his Vietnam film.
    Use Your Brian
  • Finally saw Spectre.

Once we got past the absolutely honking theme tune and dreadful opening credits I loved it. A bit too long perhaps but very enjoyable indeed. 
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    edited November 2015

The Lady In The Van

Didn't think i'd like this but I really enjoyed it.  

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • Finished off "The Empire Strikes Back" with my lad yesterday. He had no idea about the big surprise, so that was great to watch! "What, so Darth Vadder is Luke's Daddy?.....Really?"
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2015

We watched 'A Haunted House 2' on Netflix, where they'd rated it 4 out of 5 stars. Its a very silly horror spoof with terrible acting, but its so outrageous in places it's well worth the 4 stars. The sex scene with the guy and a possessed dolly just gets more and more disgusting and will stay with me for a long time.

Defo worth a punt but don't expect any intellect.

8/10 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    No Country For Old Men - watched on Netflix tonight.  I read the book some years ago, and I thought the film stayed pretty close to it.  I'd say a good 8.5/10.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Bridge of Spies. Superb. I'm normally not a fan of Spielberg (look at Close Encounters, Jaws, ET, and there's lots of padding and not too much actually going on) but this is pretty much perfect. Mark Rylance is excellent too, and he and Hanks work well together. Excellent.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • First fifteen minutes of Unstoppable. Based on this it may well be one of the worst films ever made so I'm going to do something else instead. :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary;880922" said:
    First fifteen minutes of Unstoppable. Based on this it may well be one of the worst films ever made so I'm going to do something else instead. :(
    Oh, that's the one with the train is it? I've seen that in cinema and yeah, not the best movie that. Was hoping for good action and we'll shot as it was directed by Tony Scott and he is capable but not this time.
    HAL9000;879521" said:
    Bridge of Spies. Superb. I'm normally not a fan of Spielberg (look at Close Encounters, Jaws, ET, and there's lots of padding and not too much actually going on) but this is pretty much perfect. Mark Rylance is excellent too, and he and Hanks work well together. Excellent.
    Very much looking forward to seeing this. Even more now :)
    Nitefly;879486" said:
    No Country For Old Men - watched on Netflix tonight.  I read the book some years ago, and I thought the film stayed pretty close to it.  I'd say a good 8.5/10.
    He's a tremendous read. Try the Western Trilogy. Brutal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @BigBearKris apparently it was Scott's last film. Based on a true story, quite remarkable it could happen. I've watched a bit more just to see if it got any better but unless you really like trains meh...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    edited December 2015
    jd0272 said:
    Nitefly;879486" said:
    He's a tremendous read. Try the Western Trilogy. Brutal.
    Ah, cheers, JD - would that be what Wiki is calling The Border Trilogy?  It sounds ... stark!