What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Took my two kids to see the Charlie Brown /Peanuts movie on Saturday.  I'e never really sat and watched any Charlie Brown stuff before so was sort of interested, the little bits I had seen all seemed a bit melacholy to me. Anyway, I spent the first half of the film going backwards and forwards to the toilet with my 3 yr old. When she finally settled down I immediately fell asleep.

My 9 yr old seemed to have enjoyed it when it finished and I woke up. 

The joys of being a father of 2 girls. I COULD HAVE BEEN WATCHING STAR WARS DAMMIT!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    Airplane! was on telly late the other night - still makes me laugh after all these years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    He Named Me Malala (2015)

This was right up my street. The soundtrack is by Thomas Newman and he is doing what he does - tugging at your heartstrings. The story of Malala growing up is told with very simple Animation and is mixed up with the present day as the camera follows her at school, at home and receiving awards.
    Moving and inspiring.

• "Revenant" - DiCaprio and Tom Hardy being hunted by native Americans. (Well sort of but no need to spoil).
    Absolutely GREAT movie in my opinion. DiCaprio's stunning performance may finally bring him an academy award next year. Hardy was surprisingly good in it too, although I don't consider him as a great actor (despite the hype and the fact that he stars in about 80% movies released recently ).
    I'll definitely watch it again. Worth watching just for great photo shoots and story. Well recommended. 9/10

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    "Revenant" - DiCaprio and Tom Hardy being hunted by native Americans. (Well sort of but no need to spoil).
    Absolutely GREAT movie in my opinion. DiCaprio's stunning performance may finally bring him an academy award next year. Hardy was surprisingly good in it too, although I don't consider him as a great actor (despite the hype and the fact that he stars in about 80% movies released recently ).
    I'll definitely watch it again. Worth watching just for great photo shoots and story. Well recommended. 9/10

Looks interesting. Gets an incredible 8.7 on imdb.
    I am hoping to watch several of the movies tipped for Oscars. Including Spotlight which I had never heard of until last week.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Skipped said:
    I am hoping to watch several of the movies tipped for Oscars. Including Spotlight which I had never heard of until last week.

That's the problem with the Oscars, from a UK perspective.  They nominate 8 films, all of which have been released within the last couple of months - Oscar bait - and because none of them are mainstream blockbustery things, 6 or 7 of them won't even have been released in the UK by the time the awards are dished out.

• Philly_Q;907949" said:
    Skipped said:I am hoping to watch several of the movies tipped for Oscars. Including Spotlight which I had never heard of until last week.

That's the problem with the Oscars, from a UK perspective.  They nominate 8 films, all of which have been released within the last couple of months - Oscar bait - and because none of them are mainstream blockbustery things, 6 or 7 of them won't even have been released in the UK by the time the awards are dished out.
    That's why I download the screener versions.

I pay my TV license, I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, I go to cinemas quite often but even with that shit loads of money I pay I don't have any other access to the greatest movies released recently (Revenant, Hateful Eight, Walk etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    Got this lined up tonight

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To counteract Star Wars, I went for this. Absolutely mental brilliant soundtrack. 

• Finally got around to see "Martian" with Matt Damon.
    I think it was rather good. Good story and Damon managed the role.
    I haven't read the book so cannot comment on how well the story is told in the movie but it was quite interesting and I loved the Mars surface.
    7/10
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    edited December 2015
    spectre smacked of 'running out of ideas' but Mendes sure got all the Bond cliches and flashbacks in, form Live and Let Die to From Russia With Love.

6/10.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    TimmyO;904580" said:
    I watched Chappie on Sky movies last night - thought it was bloody brilliant! It really builds.

Certainly a very different take on the AI story than Ex Machina was.
    Chappie is very engaging indeed. Great movie.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Irrational Man

Brilliant woody allen flic

Would have preferred a different ending though

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Saw 'Youth' or 'Ewige Jugend' as it's listed in German a week ago: Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, Paul Dano. Excellent film about two eccentric/famous old men living out their last days in a fantastical and luxurious Swiss sanatorium. Very funny, poignant and incredibly shot/edited in a Fellini kind of way. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Star Wars 7, Hateful 8 and the Martian have been the latest views so far. SW7 has had enough coverage so far, Hateful 8 was pretty good, probably 7/10 with Jennifer Jason Leigh pretty much stealing the film imho .The Martian was very nicely done, a little clumsy in places, especially the dialogue, how come Sean Bean is still in films, he really can't act his way out of a paper bag :(, that took a lot f the escapist enjoyment out of it for me
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Watched the Hateful 8 , a few  nights ago ,I`ve gone off Tarantino , about three quarters of the way through the film it looked like it could be getting set up for a great ending (ie like a thriller with a twist) but it didn`t ,

I won`t give anything away but ....... there was not one character to like by the end , not one with a redeeming quality , nobody to empathise with, and nobody to care about , whether they lived or died ,I was left disappointed , Pulp Fiction and True Romance seem so long ago

Just downloaded Spectre for tonight , fingers crossed.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Dredd.

I now want to be a Judge. 

• Caught up with the Marvel films

Age of Ultron : Action, explosions, action, fights, etc.

Ant Man : Lots if humour, ants, enjoyment.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    sweepy said:
    Star Wars 7, Hateful 8 and the Martian have been the latest views so far. SW7 has had enough coverage so far, Hateful 8 was pretty good, probably 7/10 with Jennifer Jason Leigh pretty much stealing the film imho .The Martian was very nicely done, a little clumsy in places, especially the dialogue, how come Sean Bean is still in films, he really can't act his way out of a paper bag :(, that took a lot f the escapist enjoyment out of it for me
    Me too r.e Sean Bean, especially when they force that LOTR reference in there as if to say "Don't forget they're all actors now, ok?".  
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Dune. I'd somehow missed seeing it all these years, despite being a sci-fi fan.

It's woeful. I can't believe that it came out two years after Blade Runner. The FX are just awful, the worst being the fiery explosions on a target that's moving, but where the budget/skills didn't extend to making the fire move with the target! Was it done ona B-movie budget?

The sets are as hokey as the ones in Flash Gordon. But while hokey works in FG, in Dune it clashes horribly with the movie's attempted gravitas. And not one of the characters has any depth, despite the quality of the actors. I knew it had Sting in it, but his performance was especially toe-curling.

2/10