What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    The Martian

Beginning to think I watched a different film to everyone else, pretty average. Looks OK, Matt Damon is Matt Damon, no idea how Sean Bean wangled his way in as he wasn't very good at all.
    It's just Castaway in space. Disappointing
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Skipped said:
    I watched Twinsters (2015).
    A great feel good documentary!
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, 1978 version.

Still fucking awesome!

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    HAL9000 said:
    Sporky;928264" said:

The Great Race was on over WInterval; still a solid 9.1/10.
    Showing my age here but anything with Virna Lisi is OK in my book.
    Was she in it?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Watched the hateful eight this morning. Blimey that is a long film. Not your typical Tarantino flick. I mean some of the violence yes. But it felt a bit too drawn out. Great soundtrack though.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Star Wars - The Force Awakens.

Not bad at all. True, it feels like I've seen it all before but watching it on big screen IMAX was very enjoyable. Not a fan of the main cast, but movie is clearly targeting the younger audience. Good fun, I didn't expect it to be any better than the "new trilogy" so pleasantly surprised.
    7/10

Making a murderer.

10 episode documentary series by Netflix.
    Story about Steven Avery who was incarcerated for 18 years for a crime he didn't commit. Once released - it's not a happy ending at all...

Great stuff - if You've seen "Jinx" by HBO about Robert Durst then this one is a must see too. Absolutely crazy story and absolutely terrifying too.
    9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    "In the heart of the sea"
    Don't know why I bothered, I really don't like Ron Howard as a director. It's utter dross with no redeeming qualities at all.
    3/10
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited January 2016
    The entire Hobbit Trilogy yesterday, Miss Monkey got it for her birthday, so we watched it all yesterday. F#*king spiders...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Went to see The Force Awakens for a second time....this time IMAX 3D...actually my first experience of that format, and to be honest whilst some of it looked great it's just so distracting and pulls you out of the movie "ooo look at the big pointy Star Destroyer".

Think I'll just stick with 2D in future.

Still very much liking the film though!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    not_the_dj;929940" said:
    Went to see The Force Awakens for a second time....this time IMAX 3D...actually my first experience of that format, and to be honest whilst some of it looked great it's just so distracting and pulls you out of the movie "ooo look at the big pointy Star Destroyer".

Yes, I saw it Imax 3D. I think it would have been better without the moments of stuff sticking out of the screen. The overall look in 3D was fine, I think we've gone past the need to have those 'ha, ha I can touch it' moments.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    not_the_dj;929940" said:

Yes, I saw it Imax 3D. I think it would have been better without the moments of stuff sticking out of the screen. The overall look in 3D was fine, I think we've gone past the need to have those 'ha, ha I can touch it' moments.
    I just found it going really blurry when panning, and when stuff was moving quickly. Static shots looked amazing though.

A trailer for Batman V Superman looked utterly awful though (the 3D effect rather than the movie, which looks jolly silly).

This was at the new place by the NEC...about 20 of us there last night huddled together in the middle.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    not_the_dj;929957" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

not_the_dj;929940" said:Went to see The Force Awakens for a second time....this time IMAX 3D...actually my first experience of that format, and to be honest whilst some of it looked great it's just so distracting and pulls you out of the movie "ooo look at the big pointy Star Destroyer".

I just found it going really blurry when panning, and when stuff was moving quickly. Static shots looked amazing though.

A trailer for Batman V Superman looked utterly awful though (the 3D effect rather than the movie, which looks jolly silly).

This was at the new place by the NEC...about 20 of us there last night huddled together in the middle.
    I think Emp_Fab said something similar about the bluriness although I don't remember being aware of it. Sometimes in 3D you get that thing where something in the foreground looks like a cardboard cut out against a backdrop which is odd. I also have to wear 3D glasses over my normal glasses and whilst this is a pain it is a good measure of how engrossed I am in a film as to how many times I fiddle with the glasses ( very few times in Star Wars as it happens).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    I love IMAX but I won't go see any more 3D anythings if it's my own choice. Completely waste of money imo. Plotting, scripting, acting and direction are what make a good film, not post-processing for headache-inducing screen-pokey bits...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I love IMAX but I won't go see any more 3D anythings if it's my own choice. Completely waste of money imo. Plotting, scripting, acting and direction are what make a good film, not post-processing for headache-inducing screen-pokey bits...
    Totally my feelings now. pleased I've tried it though (admittedly it's taken me a few years to get round to seeing something in 3D)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    The entire Hobbit Trilogy yesterday, Miss Monkey got it for Christmas, so we watched it all yesterday. F#*king spiders...
    Now, I'm more arachnophobic than most, but the spiders in this didn't bother me. Because it's all ramped up to the max with excessive CGI. It broke the spell and made me think about computers, green screen, etc.

Compare any of those scenes to the one in Indiana Jones where some poor fool has to put their hand into a hole filled with regular real-life creepy crawlies to get a key. That has me squirming in my seat. Because you can directly relate to the actor's situation.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    The only 3D film that totally stunned me was Avatar (the 3D effects,not the actual film which is pants).Anything else after that was a huge letdown.I stopped going to 3D showings about four years ago.2D all the way now.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • derndern Frets: 357
    edited January 2016
    Hateful Eight - Saw it at the cinema on Friday. Absolutely loved it but love Tarantino and love character films. 9.5/10.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    The entire Hobbit Trilogy yesterday, Miss Monkey got it for her birthday, so we watched it all yesterday. F#*king spiders...
    Bloody hell, all 10 hours (or whatever it is) in one day?  :-O
  • Philly_Q;930876" said:
    Monkeybone said:

Bloody hell, all 10 hours (or whatever it is) in one day?  :-O
    We've watched that last week too, but it took two days ;)
    We sat down to watch Labyrinth last night.

Of course the real stars of that are Brian Froud's designs and Jim Henson, but that pop star guy they got to play the Goblin King was quite good....and the Escher scene is brilliant.