What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q;930876" said:
    Monkeybone said:

The entire Hobbit Trilogy yesterday, Miss Monkey got it for her birthday, so we watched it all yesterday. F#*king spiders...

Bloody hell, all 10 hours (or whatever it is) in one day?  :-O
    Yep, wasn't the Extended versions mind. That being said, I bought her the Extended Collectors edition of The Two Towers and Return of the King with collectable Gollum and Minas Tirith trinket box, still need to get the Fellowship one with bookends. I'm going to suggest we watch those for our one year anniversary in a couple of weeks...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27095
    edited January 2016
    The Hateful Eight. I'd give it an enthusiastic 6.5/10 and say the end lets down a really good setup with an excellent script. 

Spoiler tags don't work so I'm going to make this white and put spoiler warnings and stuff

BEGIN SPOILER
    everyone dies at the end because it's a Tarantino movie so it finishes feeling like Reservoir Dogs' ancient, poor, wild-west cousin
    END SPOILER

Also it's extremely fucking long. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    Philly_Q;930876" said:
    Monkeybone said:

The entire Hobbit Trilogy yesterday, Miss Monkey got it for her birthday, so we watched it all yesterday. F#*king spiders...

Yep, wasn't the Extended versions mind. That being said, I bought her the Extended Collectors edition of The Two Towers and Return of the King with collectable Gollum and Minas Tirith trinket box, still need to get the Fellowship one with bookends. I'm going to suggest we watch those for our one year anniversary in a couple of weeks...
    Well, if your relationship can stand all that shite you're doing OK....

(Joking apart, I loved LOTR.  The last great Peter Jackson films before his sad decline.  I've only seen one of the Hobbit films and I really can't face watching the other two.)

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    edited January 2016

Solace 8/10

I don't normally like films about psychics but Anthony Hopkins is awesome in this  

Great music too!

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • Philly_Q;932132" said:
    Monkeybone said:

Philly_Q;930876" said:Monkeybone said:

Well, if your relationship can stand all that shite you're doing OK....

(Joking apart, I loved LOTR.  The last great Peter Jackson films before his sad decline.  I've only seen one of the Hobbit films and I really can't face watching the other two.)
    Watching The Hobbit in full was Miss Monkey's idea! :D

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Watched "Lucy" at the weekend.

What a load of utter, utter, utter, utter bilge.

Some of the dialogue was so poor I found myself laughing out loud.
    Took too many liberties too, elements that didn't make sense because, even if you suspend your disbelief, they didn't ring true even by the rules of the world you were invited into.

Too many "influences" on display too.

The acting was fine, the look of it too, the FX etc etc...but as a piece of story-telling, it was decidely poor.

3/10

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Straight Outta Compton. Very good film that gets the period very convincingly. Highly recommended. A solid 9/10 

Diva. Typically French and stylish thriller. Great music and cool apartments. I saw it donkeys years ago and was expecting it to be dated but It wasn't really. Enjoyable. 8/10 

Ragnarok. I was hoping it would be as enjoyable as Trollhunter. It wasn't. A bit slow and a bit rushed and a bit silly all at the same time. A bit meh. 5/10

My Neighbour Totoro. Just brilliant and poignant. One of my favourite Ghibli films. 10/10.

Kiki's Delivery Service. Enjoyable but slightly too cute Ghibli animation. 7/10.

The last Hobbit installment. By far the best of the three. I didn't really take to the first two. Made me want to watch the LOTR trilogy. 8/10.

Lord of the Rings. All three of them in their extended versions which are miles better than the cinema release. As enjoyable as the last time I saw them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    Housebound,a comedy horror out of New Zealand. Very silly but pretty enjoyable.I think the director,writer or both are fans of early Peter Jackson.

Best line - "You can't punch ectoplasm!"
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Housebound,a comedy horror out of New Zealand. Very silly but pretty enjoyable.I think the director,writer or both are fans of early Peter Jackson.

Best line - "You can't punch ectoplasm!"
    That's an excellent film.
  • Room.     Shit the dog that was bleak, then scary, then uplifting, then bleak and then all a bit sad.   9/10.

I can't see it going mainstream.

• I watched The Revenant yesterday, I really liked it. Bloody long though and I couldn't really tell what Tom Hardy was saying a lot of the time. Visually stunning. Grim in places. The bear scene!!.
    I couldn't really tell what Tom Hardy was saying a lot of the time.
    Just like The Dark Knight Rises then.  I think Tom should bring his own subtitles.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Trophy Kids

The parents in this documentary should be done fir child abuse   :x

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Unbroken - true story about US Olympian, Louie Zamperini, who is captured by the Japanese during WWII and is singled out for 'special' treatment by one particularly nasty guard.

Probably at least 40 minutes too long, but nontheless a superb film. A solid 8/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Face of an Angel. Fictionalised account based on the events surrounding the death of Meredith Kercher. Interesting rather than gripping.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Behind the Candelabra.  Very skilfully made by Steven Soderbergh, and he gets the tone right, it's neither melodramatic nor outright comedy.  The performances are very good (Rob Lowe is great in an extended cameo role) but it slightly fails because Michael Douglas is never actually as camp as the real-life Liberace.

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Watched Interstellar again last night. I'm sure it's a load of physics gobbledegook, but I love the idea of space exploration.
  • RMJ;938382" said:
    Watched Interstellar again last night. I'm sure it's a load of physics gobbledegook, but I love the idea of space exploration.
    Unlike some of the guys here - I really enjoyed it too. Yes - McConnaghey mumbles a lot, yes - the music is too much and dominates the dialogues and yes - movie is too long BUT...
    Its still a decent sci-fi. Space exploring is interestingly presented and fx are great. Story could be better but since 'Contact' with Jodie Foster there wasn't anything better really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Watched the 1996 Baz Lurhmann Romeo+Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio last night… hadn't seen it before.

Truly brilliant and mesmerising despite the odd juxtaposition of unaltered Shakespeare dialogue and a modern setting - you quickly get used to it, even though it never seems quite natural. But it makes you realise even more what a genius old Will was, that a modern film can be worked around the original script so it does all fit.

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ICBM said:
    Watched the 1996 Baz Lurhmann Romeo+Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio last night… hadn't seen it before.

Truly brilliant and mesmerising despite the odd juxtaposition of unaltered Shakespeare dialogue and a modern setting - you quickly get used to it, even though it never seems quite natural. But it makes you realise even more what a genius old Will was, that a modern film can be worked around the original script so it does all fit.

9/10
    We watched that last week. Me and my wife are going through some old films that we saw in out courting days. I think that's brilliantly done, great re-working.

We followed it up with Moulin Rouge last night, which again I think is fantastic in an overblown sort of way. I love spotting the song lyrics in the various lines, and visually it's stunning.