What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    In a way that definitely isn't OCD, definitely not, I watched a few more versions of Jekyll & Hyde (after the brilliant 1931 version).
    >1968 version with Jack Palance & Denholm Elliott: Canadian TV movie shot on video, so it looks a bit clangy at times with early video technology, although the sets/lighting are excellent.
    It's a lot more wordy & literary, with more plot, than the 1931; with some really great lines:
    "Mr. Hyde: If you kill me, you'll be killing Henry Jekyll!
    Devlin: You don't understand, do you? Jekyll deserves to die - he's the one who's responsible, not you."
    All round excellent & thoroughly recommended.

>1996 version called Mary Reilly, filmed from the point of view of his maid. Starring Julia Roberts & John Malkovich.
    Directed by Steven Frears. I hated it.
    It was everything awful about so many modern British films - utterly dreary: dreary, artless cinematography & lighting; dreary hammy acting that all sounds overdubbed with dreary flat lifeless sound; dreary soundtrack that sounds like every other cliched dreary annoying soundtrack, etc.
    AVOID

>The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne (1981) with wild-eyed Udo Kier, Italian totty Marina Pierro, & directed by Walerian Borowczyk.
    A dreamstate, nightmare, sleazy, degenerate art film, with hypnotic soundtrack by Bernard Parmegiani.
    Definitely worth checking out

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    quarky said:
    Interstellar. 

I almost shed a tear on a couple of occasions. A long film, but I really enjoyed it. The cast were good, and OK, the science wasn't great, but it was good to see the effects of relativity on time-travel and the sacrifices the crew had to make. Some good twists too. 

A solid 8/10. Definitely one I will watch again.
    It gets better with every watch.
    (And the tears get more teary each time ... that soundtrack ....)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22886
    Fazer said:
    quarky said:
    Interstellar. 

I almost shed a tear on a couple of occasions. A long film, but I really enjoyed it. The cast were good, and OK, the science wasn't great, but it was good to see the effects of relativity on time-travel and the sacrifices the crew had to make. Some good twists too. 

It gets better with every watch.
    (And the tears get more teary each time ... that soundtrack ....)

It left me completely cold.  But different strokes for different folks and all that....
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Fazer said:
    In a way that definitely isn't OCD, definitely not, I watched a few more versions of Jekyll & Hyde (after the brilliant 1931 version).
    >1968 version with Jack Palance & Denholm Elliott: Canadian TV movie shot on video, so it looks a bit clangy at times with early video technology, although the sets/lighting are excellent.
    It's a lot more wordy & literary, with more plot, than the 1931; with some really great lines:
    "Mr. Hyde: If you kill me, you'll be killing Henry Jekyll!
    Devlin: You don't understand, do you? Jekyll deserves to die - he's the one who's responsible, not you."
    All round excellent & thoroughly recommended.

>1996 version called Mary Reilly, filmed from the point of view of his maid. Starring Julia Roberts & John Malkovich.
    Directed by Steven Frears. I hated it.
    It was everything awful about so many modern British films - utterly dreary: dreary, artless cinematography & lighting; dreary hammy acting that all sounds overdubbed with dreary flat lifeless sound; dreary soundtrack that sounds like every other cliched dreary annoying soundtrack, etc.
    AVOID

>The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne (1981) with wild-eyed Udo Kier, Italian totty Marina Pierro, & directed by Walerian Borowczyk.
    A dreamstate, nightmare, sleazy, degenerate art film, with hypnotic soundtrack by Bernard Parmegiani.
    Definitely worth checking out

Theres also the 40's one with spenser tracy, seem to remember liking that one , and hammers mildly titilating sister hyde with ralph bates a 3 tissue rating as a lad in the 70's ....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    quarky said:
    Interstellar. 

I didn’t like it at all initially, and very nearly gave up on it a couple of times - until about a hour and three-quarters in, when it suddenly changed and became quite brilliant. I possibly should watch it again and see if the first part seems any better now I know the end.

Today I watched another classic I’d somehow never seen...

The Man Who Would Be King

Very good - with some of the usual minor irritations of old-school movie-making, but overall a jolly good yarn . Probably won’t watch it again, but pleased to have finally seen it.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I had a Jim Jarmusch double bill a few weekends back and watched Paterson and The Only Lovers Left Alive, both of which I enjoyed - I'd say 9/10 and 8/10 respectively.
    I had a Jim Jarmusch double bill a few weekends back and watched Paterson and The Only Lovers Left Alive, both of which I enjoyed - I'd say 9/10 and 8/10 respectively.
    i loved only lovers and have it penciled in for a repeat watch tonight , not sure how ill feel about the john hurt bits ;(   also Hal is sublime .... 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Jason Bourne.

It lacks that slightly quirky human interest element of the first film but it’s a well made romp. It doesn’t really add anything to the series but if you like a car chase and a bit of fisticuffs it might be the film for you. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    west said:

Theres also the 40's one with spenser tracy, seem to remember liking that one , and hammers mildly titilating sister hyde with ralph bates a 3 tissue rating as a lad in the 70's ....
    Yes, that sister hyde one. Been 5yrs or so since I saw it, but love that era. Even if some of those hammer films aren't great, they've always got something about them.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    ICBM said:

Very good - with some of the usual minor irritations of old-school movie-making, but overall a jolly good yarn . Probably won’t watch it again, but pleased to have finally seen it.

8/10

One of my all time faves. The rapport between Connery and Caine is superb. I’m surprised that, to the best of my knowledge, it is the only film starring the both of them.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Fazer said:
    west said:

Yes, that sister hyde one. Been 5yrs or so since I saw it, but love that era. Even if some of those hammer films aren't great, they've always got something about them.
    best one for me is the devil rides out , also straight on till morning with ... the tush is messmerising ..
    ICBM said:

8/10

I started watching that one a few years ago and couldn't past the beginning, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.
    But it's been in my "to rewatch" folder for a while now.
    This year I've been enjoying lots of other "colonial" films like The Four Feathers (1939), Khartoum, Four Feathers (1978), March Or Die, North West Frontier, Gunga Din, Zulu and Zulu Dawn.
    The Four Feathers (1939) is one I'd really recommend.
    For me Jarmusch is a bit hit and miss. However, I’d put Dead Man up there among my faves. Utterly mesmerising.
    west said:
    Fazer said:
    west said:

best one for me is the devil rides out , also straight on till morning with ... the tush is messmerising ..
    The Devil Rides Out has the greatest scene in cinema history!

I recognise title of Straight On Till Morning, but can't recall it.
    Will check it out. ;)
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    quarky said:
    Interstellar. 

Unpopular movie on this forum - bit like "Prometheus".

I liked it, and agree with ICBM that it gets better with 2nd, 3rd watch.
    I've seen it for the first time in IMAX and music felt too overwhelming, whole thing a bit chaotic, but still a solid movie. When I watched it at home and paid attention to certain details I started to rate it higher. 
    Possibly- With the lack of decent big, blockbuster sci-fi movies (there are some good indie titles) I rate it even higher but still...
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    ICBM said:7
    quarky said:
    Interstellar. 

I didn’t like it at all initially, and very nearly gave up on it a couple of times - until about a hour and three-quarters in, when it suddenly changed and became quite brilliant. I possibly should watch it again and see if the first part seems any better now I know the end.

8/10

I did give up twice over the years. Once because the copy I was watching was really bad, and another time because the audio was getting further and further out of sync.

Ironically, I just finished reading The Man Who Would Be King yesterday! 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    a modern remaking of Frankenstein, very low key (and budget) production shown on the horror channel. Was really good, an excellent retelling of the story. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    More catching up with things I've never seen...

Moulin Rouge

MrsICBM has seen this with some friends and didn't really like it, and I have to say I'm not a fan of musicals generally.

But this is a work of slightly demented genius. It is a musical, but it also comes across as a satire on musicals while being brilliantly made and even quite emotional in places. There's so much packed in it's almost hard to catch everything, and I think it probably needs watching more than once. (Which might be useful, since I'll be off work for some time!)

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Control.

Of course, I'm late to the party...but what a film. Shot brilliantly, superb acting and an accurate reflection of early Joy Division. I felt sad after watching it, but in a good way as it's reinvigorated my love for JD.

9/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Bird - Clint Eastwood directed biopic starring Forest Whitaker as Charlie 'Bird' Parker. Some great music, well acted, and beautifully filmed. Sadly, at just over two and a half hours, it was somewhat overlong and not always as engaging as it should have been 6/10.