Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there going to be a guitar glut?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    edited September 2021
    crunchman said:

There are a lot of second hand guitars available in reputable shops where you shouldn't have problems.  They will be a bit more expensive than a private sale, but generally still a lot cheaper than new.
    Not always. :-)

https://reverb.com/uk/item/44793541-gibson-kirk-douglas-signature-sg-2021-ebony-usa
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    Logie said:
    I must be more trusting. Out of what must be 70+ guitars by now only three were bought new and the last one was in 1990.
    Either I’m very lucky or it’s not that much of a minefield buying secondhand. 
    It's possibly more about how big the impact is if it does turn out to be a con rather than it being a high chance of it being one.

With the amount of guitars you buy it might even be the case that being conned once is offset by all the money you're saving on the other 70 guitars. But I imagine most people aren't getting through that many. If someone can only afford one and that turns out to be a con then it could be disastrous.

There are a lot of second hand guitars available in reputable shops where you shouldn't have problems.  They will be a bit more expensive than a private sale, but generally still a lot cheaper than new.
    I have bought quite a few secondhand guitars from Ebay, Gumtree and Reverb and it is always a nervy thing. Been burned a couple of times so I did vow to only buy privately from trusted sources (eg established participants on a forum such as this).

Have also seen secondhand examples in shops that are clearly suspect or not quite as they have been advertised.

I did break my code in the Spring and bought Mustang from Ebay - but it was cheap and I got it for modding, so I was ok if it had a minor issues or two (actually it proved to be a fine guitar). So even though I am now more cautious, I would like to say most sellers are honest - I may be deluded, but think it important to have a positive view on people...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    Logie said:
    I must be more trusting. Out of what must be 70+ guitars by now only three were bought new and the last one was in 1990.
    Either I’m very lucky or it’s not that much of a minefield buying secondhand. 
    It's possibly more about how big the impact is if it does turn out to be a con rather than it being a high chance of it being one.

With the amount of guitars you buy it might even be the case that being conned once is offset by all the money you're saving on the other 70 guitars. But I imagine most people aren't getting through that many. If someone can only afford one and that turns out to be a con then it could be disastrous.

Depends, if someone just wants "a guitar" they could go to their local shop and see which they like out of the handful of second hand guitars in stock.

But if they want something specific like "a blue Strat with a vintage radiused rosewood fretboard" there's much more chance they'll find that either buying new from a shop or second hand from a punter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom