EHX DMM Nano!

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Keefy said:
    Shite. Sold it after a few hours. 
    Which, EHX DMM Nano or Xvive Echoman? And can you elaborate?
    Think I may have been slightly tired when I wrote that initial comment. The Nano. I have a 90’s big box I’ve used forever and I bought the Nano with hope of enjoying some convenience but it’s just nowhere near. Sounds weedy. The OG DMM has that weird syrupy homogenous quality that the Nano doesn’t seem to have. I don’t know if it’s a voltage thing, a chip thing, preamp thing. I’d imagine if you didn’t have a big box to compare it to it’d make someone very happy. For me it was night and day.
    I know what you mean about the syrupy sound of the big box DMM - my 1100TT definitely has that. I ought to AB it with my Memory Toy some time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:
    Think I may have been slightly tired when I wrote that initial comment. The Nano. I have a 90’s big box I’ve used forever and I bought the Nano with hope of enjoying some convenience but it’s just nowhere near. Sounds weedy. The OG DMM has that weird syrupy homogenous quality that the Nano doesn’t seem to have. I don’t know if it’s a voltage thing, a chip thing, preamp thing. I’d imagine if you didn’t have a big box to compare it to it’d make someone very happy. For me it was night and day.

Where did you get it from? No stock in the UK, from what I can see or are you based elsewhere?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Keefy said:

Where did you get it from? No stock in the UK, from what I can see or are you based elsewhere?
    Based in Sweden. In stock everywhere. Would forward one on if anybody wanted but, y’know, import tax. 
  • Okay ta.

I'm struggling to see how it's so dramatically different if they claim it's "basically the same circuit". We're back to this Big Box/XO debate again and it does my nut in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 in stock in the UK on Reverb, C'mon who's going to be the first on the block to snag one of these?
    telehack said:
    5 in stock in the UK on Reverb, C'mon who's going to be the first on the block to snag one of these?
    They seem to be hitting the streets at about £155, so direct competition for the Carbon Copy and DM-2w.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited November 2021
    Keefy said:
    telehack said:
    5 in stock in the UK on Reverb, C'mon who's going to be the first on the block to snag one of these?
    They seem to be hitting the streets at about £155, so direct competition for the Carbon Copy and DM-2w.

Where from is that price? [sic]

Keefy said:
    telehack said:

Where from is that price? [sic]
    Oops - the USA. £180 at Peach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahh tidy, ta

• I ordered and cancelled it. I really don't think it's gonna be worlds away from what I've got with the Echoman. They're all loaded with xvive chips at the end of the day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered and cancelled it. I really don't think it's gonna be worlds away from what I've got with the Echoman. They're all loaded with xvive chips at the end of the day.
     Think you’ve made a wise choice
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited November 2021
    I couldn't resist and got a DMM Nano to try. Here's a quick phone recording of it doing the washy modulated thing with no amp reverb or other pedals

Observations: for an analogue unit it's not particularly noisy unless you push the blend and/or repeats. The blend control's useful range if you're going straight into an amp is between 9 and 12 on the clockface - below that it's inaudible and above that it's louder than than your dry signal. Kill dry / full wet when it's all the way up. There's a bit of clock noise at longer delay times. You can get a soupy swirl of repeats going but I'm not hearing the "punchy first repeat and then quick degradation" thing that people go on about in DMMs - the degradation seems to taper more smoothly than that. The knobs are quite fiddly and you wouldn't want to be messing around with them on stage. It makes your whole signal sound more effected - more "pedally", somehow - than, say, El Capistan does. The chorus modulation is nice. I'm not sure where to put the mod rate for the famous DMM vibrato - and needless to say the mod controls have a completely crazy sweep - but I'm sure sure it's in there somewhere if that's what you're into. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited November 2021
    A rough'n'ready clip with more prominent vibrato modulation, which I had to record a bit quietly to stop my phone mic from clipping. The repeats get noisier as the time knob goes past 12 o'clock; here it's round 1230 with the mod rate round 2 o'clock.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It may or may not be less noisy than the original, but in this video it does sound pretty noisy. Probably noisier than my 1100TT.

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    The standard XO seems to be the same price as these so apart from space saving I can’t see the attraction. 

I have 2 XOs but one needs recalibrating. Recently I took it off my board for a more complicated midi analog delay but I’m thinking of going back to the trusty DMM and cashing in on the delay. 

I didn’t realise they also do a 550TT as well for not much more than the XO. Are the TT versions closer to the original big box or just more flexible?

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    edited November 2021
    keir said:
    The standard XO seems to be the same price as these so apart from space saving I can’t see the attraction. 

I have 2 XOs but one needs recalibrating. Recently I took it off my board for a more complicated midi analog delay but I’m thinking of going back to the trusty DMM and cashing in on the delay. 

I didn’t realise they also do a 550TT as well for not much more than the XO. Are the TT versions closer to the original big box or just more flexible?

I don’t know how close the main part of the TT circuit is to the original big box but the 1100TT is my analog delay of choice. (It’s also a favourite of Dan from That Pedal Show fwiw.) I have had the 550TT too, and to me the 1100 was worth the extra spend for the improvements in sound quality and noise floor - you may never use the extra delay time, but for a given setting the 1100 is working at twice the sample rate as the 550.

But yes, definitely more flexible!