Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the next 'big thing' in FX/Modellers?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    dindude said:
    I’ve just watched the Andertons vid of the Boss IR200 vs Strymon Iridium (was genuinely interested as a headphone/recording device with my pedalboard). Sound wise, I’m really not sure we’ve come as far as we say we have, they sound like my Digitech RP-something from 20 years ago. 
    I thought, given the name the ir200 was just an IR based cab sim. Your comment made me look it up.  Thanks:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For what it's worth, I still don't think that there's any substitute for a real cab and volume in a live context (at least, not at pub/club level), even with a modeller.

It's the volume that gives you the "boom" and sheer in-the-room presence, and it just doesn't seem the same when there are other instruments coming out of the speaker at the same time.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    For what it's worth, I still don't think that there's any substitute for a real cab and volume in a live context (at least, not at pub/club level), even with a modeller.

It's the volume that gives you the "boom" and sheer in-the-room presence, and it just doesn't seem the same when there are other instruments coming out of the speaker at the same time.
    Totally agree. In fact I saw Don Broco last week. They and all the supports had silent stages except drums of course (the first support was just a kid singing to a backing tracks...he sucked). I was fairly near the front. There was no foldback on the front of the stage and the FOH speaker were spread fairly far apart so I felt there was quite a big void of sound coverage. In fact I remember thinking how quiet all the acts sounded compared to what I'm used to (which tbf, is blisteringly loud). I also spent most of the gig thinking "where the hell's the guitar?!". Honestly the guitar was inaudible. All I could hear was kick drum, vocals and synth. I bet a big guitar cab on stage would've helped A LOT!
    For what it's worth, I still don't think that there's any substitute for a real cab and volume in a live context (at least, not at pub/club level), even with a modeller.

I think the only one that appreciates that is the guitar player not the audience 
  • @John_A I think like @sjo89 says up above, I've seen footage of gigs where they're all kemper etc and often it's pretty tricky to hear much if any guitar? Probably much worse still if you're relying on dodgy soundguys at weddings?
  • sjo89 said:
    dindude said:
    I’ve just watched the Andertons vid of the Boss IR200 vs Strymon Iridium (was genuinely interested as a headphone/recording device with my pedalboard). Sound wise, I’m really not sure we’ve come as far as we say we have, they sound like my Digitech RP-something from 20 years ago. 
    Andertons have a knack of making everything sound awful...
    They're fine with Teles into valve amps.

But if there's tech or metal playing involved it's not so good. They really need a metal player. And someone who isn't tech-phobic. Chappers and Rabea have fulfilled that role in the past - but they need a regular new member who isn't afraid of modern technology and actually learns how to use it before the camera rolls. 

• sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    John_A said:

I think the only one that appreciates that is the guitar player not the audience 
    Well I disagree with the notion that just because I'm a guitarist means I'm biased to wanting more guitar in a mix. I think if you listen to pretty much all great songs with guitar (particularly rock) the guitar is usually very prominent and it provides the "filling in the sound sandwich", as it were. When the guitar is inaudible, the sound is weak and thin. With a loud guitar, the sound has heft and impact.
    edited November 2021
    sjo89 said:
    John_A said:

Well I disagree with the notion that just because I'm a guitarist means I'm biased to wanting more guitar in a mix. I think if you listen to pretty much all great songs with guitar (particularly rock) the guitar is usually very prominent and it provides the "filling in the sound sandwich", as it were. When the guitar is inaudible, the sound is weak and thin. With a loud guitar, the sound has heft and impact.
    Agree with everything you’ve said, but at smallish venues I don’t think a loud amp is the way to get that, and maintain a nice balanced mix.  Even bigger gigs, I remember seeing the Darkness in Nottingham recently and Dan’s Marshall’s were so loud they were taken out of the PA so if you stood stage right all you could hear was guitar and stage left just the opposite 

Saying that a Kemper/Helix through a rubbish PA isn’t great, it’s got to be a quality PA
  • Im not sure its the next big thing, but having tried Helix, Kemper, Fractal etc… the best amp sound ive come across is the DSM and Humboldt Simplifier DSX.

Real good amp sounds, dead easy to use, FX LOOP and stunning reverb.

A midi controlled version must be on the way.
  • Have you compared it to the standard Sinplifier @Wazmeister? Wonder if the core tones are as good or not.