Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alec Baldwin accidentally shoots woman dead on set

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
edited October 2021 in Off Topic

Tragic for family, but also grim for Alec too ...
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Absolutely horrendous all round. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12363
    That's terrible news for all involved. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812
    Yes, very tragic. She was a director of photography & the man was the director.
    It'll be a while until any facts emerge, but the current explanation that a prop gun loaded with blanks misfired, sounds peculiar.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Fucking hell.
    Even though it is an accident that must be a hell of a weight to have to carry around.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15501
    Obviously we don't know any of the specifics of this case, but I've always wondered about the blank firing weapons they use on films etc. In the military on exercise they fit something called a blank firing attachment to rifles (they're those big yellow things you see sometimes), which basically plugs the barrel so it creates enough back pressure to mimic a bullet and allows the reload mechanism to cycle. However, they still allow some of the gasses and crud to come out of the barrel, which can be dangerous (will shred paper at 10 yards kind of thing), which is why you're told not to point the weapon at someone at close range. However, in films they don't seem to have that restriction.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    I remember when the same thing happened to Brandon Lee on "The Crow" - terrible accident.

Baldwin has been quite open about depression and suicidal thoughts - I really hope he's being looked after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Alec Baldwin might be a firearms expert, I don't know, he is an American so he could well be.  Blanks or not that weapon should be treated like a live weapon with real ammunition, and the fact that this happened is evidence enough that there was gross negligence.  
    Alec might only be partly culpable, there would be a firearms expert on site, probably a team of, and they have failed to control the use of this weapon.

Such a stupid accident, no matter what the particulars are.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 584
    Hopefully this incident will change things over there and not allow blanks to be used any more. Is it really necessary with modern technology? Hope Alec gets the help he needs to overcome this. Living with the thought of somebody's death on your head is a terrible thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Switch625 said:
    Hopefully this incident will change things over there and not allow blanks to be used any more. Is it really necessary with modern technology? Hope Alec gets the help he needs to overcome this. Living with the thought of somebody's death on your head is a terrible thing.
    Agreed.  Then can literally cgi anything into a movie with scarily good results. 

sinbaadi said:
    Alec Baldwin might be a firearms expert, I don't know, he is an American so he could well be.  Blanks or not that weapon should be treated like a live weapon with real ammunition, and the fact that this happened is evidence enough that there was gross negligence.  
    Alec might only be partly culpable, there would be a firearms expert on site, probably a team of, and they have failed to control the use of this weapon.

Such a stupid accident, no matter what the particulars are.
    He's likely to be not culpable at all.

There will be a full investigation and it is possible that the firearms experts and the production company are liable, but AB will have relied on those experts and followed instructions as to how to use the weapon, where to point it for the purpose of getting the scene filmed etc etc.

Speculation about facts and the reactions of authorities in an entirely different jurisdiction don't help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I don’t understand how it could’ve happened with blanks, although it sounds like they can still be nasty from what people have said ^. As my missus said earlier, his acting career is probably wrecked now, let alone his mental health. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I agree with @sinbaadi what were live bullets in it for? If they were necessary, someone should have been in charge of safety. How tragic, though, a terrible thing to happen :(
    Mellish said:
    I agree with @sinbaadi what were live bullets in it for? If they were necessary, someone should have been in charge of safety. How tragic, though, a terrible thing to happen :(
    no one has said there were live rounds in it. We don't know anything yet.

Mellish said:
    The reports say blanks.

Blanks can still kill.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Oh sorry, the idiot in me didn't read the report. Schoolboy error! 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1000
    Here's a crazy idea. Lets stop glamorising guns and killing people altogether.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    There was a film industry "armourer" on the radio this morning who said it should be absolutely impossible for this to happen with "movie blanks", which are apparently different from the type of blanks you or I might buy (if we had any reason to buy blanks).  He said the worst that might happen, with old Western-style rifles or pistols, would be a powder burn.  All very strange, and tragic.
    Keiko said:
    Here's a crazy idea. Lets stop glamorising guns and killing people altogether.
    is that what the film was doing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Philly_Q said:
    There was a film industry "armourer" on the radio this morning who said it should be absolutely impossible for this to happen with "movie blanks", which are apparently different from the type of blanks you or I might buy (if we had any reason to buy blanks).  He said the worst that might happen, with old Western-style rifles or pistols, would be a powder burn.  All very strange, and tragic.

And, as has been said, it's happened before. Strange. 

Very sad for all evolved though. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11789
    Philly_Q said:
    It ain't necessarily so.  From the BBC's website re. Brandon Lee's death in similar circumstances:

"It was later determined that the gun used had earlier fired a round that caused a cartridge to become lodged in the barrel. When blank rounds were later fired, the cartridge was dislodged and released."