Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alec Baldwin accidentally shoots woman dead on set

What's Hot

Comments

• If professionals get it wrong, why hold actors to a higher standard?
    feeeeeelllinngggssss, woaaaahhhhh feeellinnggsss, woaaahhhhh feeelings..... youuuu'rreee not verrryyy niceeee.....

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Hootsmon said:
    What dosen't add up for me is he must have been pointing the gun at the woman and you don't even do that with a gun loaded wih blanks. Pointing it and puling the trigger is to be expected with another actor for a particular scene involving a gun but pointing and firing on a cinematographer? yes, it's true we don't know, but if he has been messin' around he's fucked
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/25/entertainment/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-shooting-monday/index.html

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    FastEddie said:
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Kilgore said:
    <snip>

It can't be an actors responsibility to "know what state it is in". 
    I disagree; it should be the responsibility of the person holding the gun to know the state that it’s in. As @FastEddie said it only takes an hour to learn. In the same way that actors learn to fall if they want to do their own stunts they should be qualified in gun handling if they want to play a part that requires them to handle a gun. 
     If an actor is in a scene which requires them to wear some kind of safety equipment, harness for example. Is it their ultimate responsibility to check the equipment?

If an actor is in scene requiring they drive a vehicle are they responsible for checking the vehicle is safe?

The answer to both is no. An actors job is to pretend they're doing stuff that they're not actually doing.

It is the responsibility of other professionals on set to facilitate this in a safe manner. 
    I could not disagree more. 
    Learning how to check a weapon is so simple, it's as easy as putting on a seatbelt. 

It takes a few seconds to hand over a weapon correctly. That's it. There is nothing complicated I promise you. I can introduce you to soldiers who could not lay an E chord but can check a weapon. 

@FastEddie , you make an interesting argument for education in the field of weapon handling; however, in 2017 seven people were injured through accidental firing of weapons.  A further one was fatally injured by an accidental discharge of a weapon.  These incidents were not down to some Hollywood mishaps, where an amatuer mis-handled a loaded weapon, they were down to weapons being handled by members of H.M Armed Forces (gov.uk, 2018).

If professionals get it wrong, why hold actors to a higher standard?
    Firstly nobody is arguing that actors have to be held to a higher standard, just the same standard. Secondly there are probably more military personnel handling weapons, it is their day job after all, and they do it day in day out whereas a fewer number of actors who don’t handle a gun every day let alone every scene so statistically you’d expect more accidents. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:
    What dosen't add up for me is he must have been pointing the gun at the woman and you don't even do that with a gun loaded wih blanks. Pointing it and puling the trigger is to be expected with another actor for a particular scene involving a gun but pointing and firing on a cinematographer? yes, it's true we don't know, but if he has been messin' around he's fucked
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/25/entertainment/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-shooting-monday/index.html

I don't think rehearsing a scene, would be classed as "messin' around".
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    FastEddie said:
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Kilgore said:
    <snip>

I disagree; it should be the responsibility of the person holding the gun to know the state that it’s in. As @FastEddie said it only takes an hour to learn. In the same way that actors learn to fall if they want to do their own stunts they should be qualified in gun handling if they want to play a part that requires them to handle a gun. 
     If an actor is in a scene which requires them to wear some kind of safety equipment, harness for example. Is it their ultimate responsibility to check the equipment?

If an actor is in scene requiring they drive a vehicle are they responsible for checking the vehicle is safe?

The answer to both is no. An actors job is to pretend they're doing stuff that they're not actually doing.

It is the responsibility of other professionals on set to facilitate this in a safe manner. 
    Learning how to check a weapon is so simple, it's as easy as putting on a seatbelt. 

It takes a few seconds to hand over a weapon correctly. That's it. There is nothing complicated I promise you. I can introduce you to soldiers who could not lay an E chord but can check a weapon. 

@FastEddie , you make an interesting argument for education in the field of weapon handling; however, in 2017 seven people were injured through accidental firing of weapons.  A further one was fatally injured by an accidental discharge of a weapon.  These incidents were not down to some Hollywood mishaps, where an amatuer mis-handled a loaded weapon, they were down to weapons being handled by members of H.M Armed Forces (gov.uk, 2018).

If professionals get it wrong, why hold actors to a higher stanHandsome_Chris said:
    FastEddie said:
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Kilgore said:
    <snip>

I'm thinking you're joking right?
    Yes?
    Should I bite by telling you the multiple ways in which soldiers use live rounds?

I'd wager that all of the accidents are by the RAF and Royal Navy. They don't see rifles and pistols very often and get a can get bit flustered. 

I'll leave that there.   ;-)
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited October 2021
    m_c said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:

Practising your fast draw with folk in your line of fire is not messing around? yeah right
    tae be or not tae be
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    drofluf said:

Firstly nobody is arguing that actors have to be held to a higher standard, just the same standard. Secondly there are probably more military personnel handling weapons, it is their day job after all, and they do it day in day out whereas a fewer number of actors who don’t handle a gun every day let alone every scene so statistically you’d expect more accidents. 
    So you're saying that actors should be held to the same standard as the military?

But in your own words "it is their day job after all, and they do it day in day out"

Exactly, actors don't do it every day which is why it's not their responsibility. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Hootsmon said:
    m_c said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:

Practising your fast draw with folk in your line of fire is not messing around? yeah right
    from what I understand, he was pointing the gun at the camera, hence the DP getting shot, as she was behind the camera.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    What's with this back and forth? 7 pages of it. A woman has died, there's a man injured. An investigation will be held and, hopefully, one or more blamed. I'm as sentimental as the next man, I realise you have points to make and this is a forum, but in a situation like this where everyone seems to want to be right, maybe it's best to just let it go. Just my opinion :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:

So you're saying that actors should be held to the same standard as the military?

But in your own words "it is their day job after all, and they do it day in day out"

Exactly, actors don't do it every day which is why it's not their responsibility. 

With respect to basic weapons safety yes they should be held to the same standard, but I got burnt on that yesterday as well so it’s not a popular view round here…

My point on it being their day job was that more military  are handling weapons more frequently so it might be reasonable to expect more accidents. 
    FastEddie said:
    FastEddie said:
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Kilgore said:
    <snip>

If professionals get it wrong, why hold actors to a higher stanHandsome_Chris said:
    FastEddie said:
    Kilgore said:
    drofluf said:
    Kilgore said:
    <snip>

I'm thinking you're joking right?
    Yes?
    Should I bite by telling you the multiple ways in which soldiers use live rounds?

I'd wager that all of the accidents are by the RAF and Royal Navy. They don't see rifles and pistols very often and get a can get bit flustered. 

I'll leave that there.   ;-)
    @FastEddie go easy on us crabs please mate those bangs and flashes up close can be really scary :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Hootsmon said:
    m_c said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:

The reason they were in his line of fire was because they were filming him rehearsing using a gun which he and they had just been told was not loaded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7214
    Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @monquixote , you've been trolled.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Fantastic.
    I'm glad everyone is finding this amusing...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Charlton Heston:

“Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people.”

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    Mellish said:
    What's with this back and forth? 7 pages of it. A woman has died, there's a man injured. An investigation will be held and, hopefully, one or more blamed. I'm as sentimental as the next man, I realise you have points to make and this is a forum, but in a situation like this where everyone seems to want to be right, maybe it's best to just let it go. Just my opinion :) 
    I’m guessing you’re new around here….. B) :)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @tone1 yes, joined late August this year. Because of that I maybe have no right to speak out. It's just that I'm sure you know so much about guitars and I'd love to read it. That would be wonderful :) 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    Hootsmon said:
    m_c said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:

My guess would be that's the scene they were rehearsing.
    Actor practising the movement of drawing the gun and pointing it towards the camera, while the film crew/director checked camera angles/movement.

I'm pretty sure you'll of watched plenty shows/films where guns have been pointed at cameras, and that doesn't happen without actually pointing a gun at the camera.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18748
    Charlton Heston:

“Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except innocent people that happen to be in front of it.”

Updated in light of recent events.