Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squier Classic Vibe - Proper Grown-Up Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791
    notanon said:
    Paul_C said:

I had a couple of CV Teles and a CV Strat a while ago and liked them all.

Thanks to this thread (and my own inability to restrain myself) I've just ordered a Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar from Andertons in ltd. ed. purple metallic.

If be interested in your opinion when you get that delivered. Been toying with the idea of getting one of these.

It has arrived.

Lots of bits of plastic need removing and it needs a set up - it may well need some fretwork and the frets definitely need a polish as they're horribly scratchy. 

The purple is nice.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Update: I have polished the frets with 1200 grit and some 0000 wire wool and set it up with some 10s for now (I have some 11s on the way but the 10s may well be fine for the way I play) and there's nothing in the way of fret buzz, so all is fine.

One of the tuners is slipping at one point in its rotation so I've got to send Andertons a video to hopefully get them to post me a replacement, but it works well enough for now.

All in all it's not a bad little guitar for the money, the worst thing for an inexperienced buyer being the nasty scratchiness of the frets.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    My view on the lack of attention to detail on the fret work for Squiers has to be purposeful as they couldn't differentiate enough from the player/usa series otherwise.

Equally consistency with some much better finished than others. 
  • I've got two telecasters - a 50s and 60s - and a 60s Jazz bass. All from the old Chinese line and excellent across the board.

The 60s Jazz is actually my main touring player and is a bit of a gem; we were headlining Cardiff Pride a few years back and I was momentarily bereft of basses after an extended period using loaner gear, so bought this one off Gumtree and the guy met me in the car park of the festival. Tuned it to check there was signal, tweaked the action slightly backstage, and walked on with it. Then I took it live on Soccer AM next morning:

I've tweaked it a lot over the years so it's now got a new pickguard, bridge, and EMGs but only because I'm incapable of leaving a guitar to be a guitar. The original hardware was all decent quality.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a CV50s Tele which I got from a member on here in a swap for my RG. It's very nice, I enjoy playing it, but I'm probably going to move it on as I really have no need for it.

Build quality is very good, apart from one fret where I can feel the end very slightly. Other than that it seems great, although I can't comment on the original bridge pickup as it has a SD quarter-pounder in there now. The neck pickup is very nice though!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I bought a CV Jazzmaster from Andertons earlier this year. Like @Paul_C 's Jaguar, the frets were horribly scratchy and need serious smoothing and polishing. The fretboard was very dry, the switches needed contact cleaner, and the set up was horrible. After sorting all that out, inserting a shim and upgrading to a Staytrem trem bar,  I'm left with a very nice guitar, though I have not played a Fender JM for comparison. If a beginner had bought it though, without knowing what needed to be done to make it playable, it would be a very bad experience. 

I'm loving my Jaguar now I've got used to it, the only trouble is that I'm sorely tempted to get another (Jazzmaster or Tele) :open_mouth: 
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    Bought a CV Jazzmaster last year from Andertons. Came with 9s which didn't make any sense to me. Frets were horribly scratchy and the fretboard looked dry. A polish and some lemon oil later and I love it. Some flatwound 11s on there and it holds tune like a beast. I prefer the neck on this to my Streamliner so considering buying a CV tele too. Definitely worth the £350.

Don't think I've ever touched a Fender so no basis for comparison but it's a quality guitar.
    Paul_C said:

I'm loving my Jaguar now I've got used to it, the only trouble is that I'm sorely tempted to get another (Jazzmaster or Tele) :open_mouth: 

It's occurred to me that as it's unlikely I'll get anything from my kids for Christmas, maybe I should get myself a little something guitar-shaped.

I can always put it away for a few weeks and surprise myself on the day.

It's been calling to me since the day the Jag arrived and showed itself to be a delight, so I've just ordered one.

60s Custom in Candy Tangerine.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Did Squier do a Jazzmaster before the Classic Vibe??

An Olympic White Squier JM has come up for sale round the corner for £250. That's a decent enough deal in't it??

Not sure if this link will work but it's here

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• @McToot said:

An Olympic White Squier JM has come up for sale round the corner for £250. That's a decent enough deal in't it??

They did a Vintage Modified JM in that colour, looks like that one's been given a mustang bridge and a buzz stop thing. 
    The Vintage Modified JM and Jags were generally regarded as good quality guitars.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    @McToot said:

They did a Vintage Modified JM in that colour, looks like that one's been given a mustang bridge and a buzz stop thing. 
    The Vintage Modified JM and Jags were generally regarded as good quality guitars.
    Thanks mate - yes, the vedor has replied that it's a Vintage Modified model (made in Indonesia with the Duncan designed pups)... I've PMd you as well...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Been looking around and I think I'd like one of the Squier Classic Vibe Strats with the matching headstock. Looks like they got the Lake Placid Blue more right on that than most modern Fenders, too.

They look to be an awful lot of guitar for the money and I used to love the neck on my old Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar so...
  • I think they look great. However, I tried three in a shop (strat, Tele, Jaguar) and all of them had issues. Some worse than others, but none of them worth buying. I was guitar shopping with my cousin, he bought a player Tele instead and the difference was astounding.

The issues ranged from tuning stability, extremely heavy, frets unpolished (you could see the file/sandpaper marks on every fret!) poor sounding pickups, poorly cut nuts.

I wouldn't rule all of them out though as it may have been bad luck, but the Player Tele by comparison had well finished frets, very lightweight, great sounding pickups and better hardware.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Serious twist to the conversation here - there seems to be a divide between people finding CVs which are damn near perfect (my CV 60s Tele back from the MIC days was) to ones which in an extreme case have file marks on frets.

My other CV was a new Jaguar and apart from the usual dirt out of the box - so needed new strings and a clean - it was pretty damn good.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    edited November 2021
    NGD: CV Tele in candy apple green from Andertons.

https://imgur.com/a/sgUUsf6  (how does one embed the photo?) 

Plays nicer out of the box than my CV jazzmaster did. No issues with the frets or the fingerboard that I've found. Just wish it came with 10s instead of 9s. Neck a bit thinner than I was expecting. Don't remember ever playing a tele before so it's all brand new to me and I like it so far. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thefez said:

Plays nicer out of the box than my CV jazzmaster did. No issues with the frets or the fingerboard that I've found. Just wish it came with 10s instead of 9s. Neck a bit thinner than I was expecting. Don't remember ever playing a tele before so it's all brand new to me and I like it so far. 

That’s an outrageous colour - and I mean that in a good way!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    thefez said:

Happy NGD! Looks great! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    I've never owned a new Squier, but have owned a first release CV 50s Tele, a VM SSH (not HSS) Tele and a Standard Series Strat.

The were all nice guitars, but apart from the CV would have needed pickup upgrades to be serious instruments.

They all had functional, but rather thick finish.

They were all under 3 years old at the time of me procuring them and already had significant fret wear, so they were moved on eventually (after fret dressing).

The difference between the Squiers and the Bajas and Fender Classic Series Tele I've owned made it worth paying the extra for the Fenders.