The demise of sketch shows.

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9717
    axisus said:

Have I missed any good uns?

Yes. The Sketch Show - Tim Vine, Lee Mack, etc...

https://youtu.be/koNwUeG-iKE
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Is everythings a drum a Sketch Show? 

That skit (everything's a drum) was brilliant. I watched two whole episodes and that was the only bit I liked. Gave up ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Not telly but I still think Beyond Our Ken and Round the Horne were hard to beat as fast paced sketch shows.
    They've stood the test of time pretty well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Is everythings a drum a Sketch Show? 

That skit (everything's a drum) was brilliant. I watched two whole episodes and that was the only bit I liked. Gave up ...
    Fair enough, I'm guessing "I think you should leave" would be a similar hit/miss ratio.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Not the Nine O Clock News  was excellent in it's time, and still holds a high water mark

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I think one of the letdowns of a lot of sketch shows is the sheer repetitiveness of them. I really enjoyed Armstrong and Miller's street talking WW2 pilots but it was the same exact thing every week - maybe a dozen characters in total given a slightly different piece of dialogue each week to fill out a series. That's where the likes of Python did well - hardly super original with every sketch but not just the same thing ad infinitum.

Limmy's Show is recent and it's one of the best TV shows for a long time.

Key and Peele is recentish and it's outstanding as well.
    First series of Limmys show was incredible. 
    I checked out Limmy's Show as it seems to be available on Youtube in its entirety. Good job we're all different I suppose - that's about as bad as it gets for me. Key and Peele hit the mark much more often though:

I can't really think of any contemporary ones other than SNL in the States, which is awful, or possibly Horrible Histories (does that count?)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23016
    fob said:
    I checked out Limmy's Show as it seems to be available on Youtube in its entirety. Good job we're all different I suppose - that's about as bad as it gets for me. 
    I watched a couple of episodes as well - I think it's on iPlayer, or was - and I'm with you, I didn't like it.
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited October 2021
    Andy: wanna sketch show
    Lou: are you sure, you've always said as an art form it was past its hey day
    Andy: Yeah ah know, I wanna sketch show
    Lou: but you know how disappointed you get when it doesn't compare to your idealised reminiscences of the 1970s
    Andy: Yeah ah know, I want a sketch show
    Lou: okay how about this one?
    Andy: I don't like it.

Tune into the forum in a few days for the next episode or a repeat, it's on BBC we doubt you can tell the difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    fob said:
    I think one of the letdowns of a lot of sketch shows is the sheer repetitiveness of them. 
    I don't agree with that personally, I think there's a lot of fun in repeating characters, I think that Mitchell & Webb did that really well. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16132
    I think there is a resistance to do it because it's a minefield ; some Wokeweasel somewhere will find a way to draw a tenuous link to some kind of issue ,rally the mindless of Twitter to hitchhike on the silly bandwagon and cause the artist more grief than it's worth.
    Damn them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    Philly_Q said:
    fob said:
    I checked out Limmy's Show as it seems to be available on Youtube in its entirety. Good job we're all different I suppose - that's about as bad as it gets for me. 
    I watched a couple of episodes as well - I think it's on iPlayer, or was - and I'm with you, I didn't like it.

I watched it for about 10 minutes once just because I couldn't believe how bad it was. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Not everybuudy's cup of tea but my favourite comedy show/guy is Spike Milligan

This is typical of Spike....

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ He was an odd character........we used to live about 4 houses away from him .He shot at kids with an air rifle if they climbed on his fence.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited October 2021
     I liked most that have been listed but there was one I couldn't stand: Mike & Bernie Winters  
    Mellish said:
     I liked most that have been listed but there was one I couldn't stand: Mike & Bernie Winters  
    American comedy is so different to ours (eg not funny!)
    Mike and Bernie were not American they were from N London ( Cockfosters )

Dominic said:

Yes, they were around the same time as Morecambe and Wise give or take :) 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Schnorbitz was the real star! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23016
    Mellish said:
    Dominic said:

Yes, they were around the same time as Morecambe and Wise give or take :) 
    In Wales we had a comedy duo called Ryan and Ronnie.  They seemed very famous to me as a kid, but in fact - having just looked it up - their career was quite brief, from the late '60s to the early '70s. 

We often used to see Ryan Davies in our local newsagent and in my mind's eye he was quite old, but in fact he was only 40 when he died!

@Philly_Q I have visions of you back then looking at Ryan Davies as if he was Methuselah age-wise :)