Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People who don't like flame tops on PRS guitars...

What's Hot
Do those same people not like Gibson R9s then?

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Not really, give me a plain top please.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510

Do those same people not like Gibson R9s then?

No. Or not if they're too flamed, or with fine even flames, or - worst - 'chevrons'. Why the assumption that everyone likes flame top sunburst Les Pauls? It's one of my least favourite colours, unless it's fairly soft and subtle.

It's a slightly different thing though - I can even stand a bit more flame on a PRS, as long as it's not a sunburst.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited September 2013

Often strikes me as a bit of a prejudice just for the sake of it, but to each their own I guess. 

A LOT of manufacturers, particularly mid-range Ibanez, ESP, Schecter and such like overdo the flames, quilts, faux pearl binding and general bling far more than PRS ever do these days, but PRS are still always the easiest target as I guess they popularised the whole thing this time around and there isn't much else you can criticise the quality of their guitars for, so have a go at the bling instead! 

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've never been a fan of 'furniture' guitars. Battered Fenders are much more attractive to me than a shiny stripy thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Nope. Don't like sunburst full stop - its the sort of finish I'd expect to see on an orchestral instrument, not a rock n roll one. And flame tops... well, each to their own but I don't like them. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Some would argue that on a Les Paul, the flame would be the only real nod towards blingdom, whilst certain PRS models are already dripping with bling before you even get to thinking about the wood

• No prejudice for the sake of it, honestly.  I own a pair of quilted top PRSs, the only reason I have them is they were reasonably priced S/H and better instruments than the alternatives I could find at the time in the same price range.  A lot of private sellers with crazy expectations of price over the last 12 months, I actually got a better price from a dealer in the end.

If I was buying new I'd be picking plain top/solid colour because I think it looks cooler.  Honestly.  I also think a goldtop or ebony les Paul looks coolest.

I do love the colours of my PRSs, but honestly think the quilts are a bit cheesy and not as rock n' roll as a solid colour.  But I still think the instruments look far smarter than the MOP bling disasters you see from some LTD/Schecters, ugh!  All in all they're superb instruments I'm very happy with them otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Strangely I quite like looking at other peoples flame tops, but I just wouldn't want to own one.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    edited September 2013
    Yum!!

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited September 2013
    No prejudice for the sake of it, honestly.  I own a pair of quilted top PRSs, the only reason I have them is they were reasonably priced S/H and better instruments than the alternatives I could find at the time in the same price range.  A lot of private sellers with crazy expectations of price over the last 12 months, I actually got a better price from a dealer in the end.

If I was buying new I'd be picking plain top/solid colour because I think it looks cooler.  Honestly.  I also think a goldtop or ebony les Paul looks coolest.

I do love the colours of my PRSs, but honestly think the quilts are a bit cheesy and not as rock n' roll as a solid colour.  But I still think the instruments look far smarter than the MOP bling disasters you see from some LTD/Schecters, ugh!  All in all they're superb instruments I'm very happy with them otherwise.

Those are flames, not quilts - the blue one has a little bit of sort-of quilt, but it's still a flame I think. It's really nice, close to my ideal type of PRS top and colour.

This is a quilt - 

I don't like quilts at all, in any colour.

Also fully agree with you about Goldtops and black Les Paul Customs, which are by far the two best colours.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @fretfinder ... drool!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • When I first became aware of PRSs there was a definite wow as far as the flame finishes went as I must admit I hadn't seen anything like them before. The only Les Pauls I got to see up close were wine red or black, and Fenders/Squiers were solid or bursts. They looked another level up and clearly expensive and not a little intimidating.

Since then it has flipped and you can't move for £100 specials with thin veneers that to the untrained eye look no different, and so whenever I see them now my immediate response is that they look cheap and tacky, but not really in a way I like. Plain tops look so much classier these days by comparison.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    dogload said:
    .... Battered Fenders are much more attractive to me than a shiny stripy thing!
    Totally agree. Took me ownership of a 10 top PRS to realise it though.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    No prejudice for the sake of it, honestly.  I own a pair of quilted top PRSs, the only reason I have them is they were reasonably priced S/H and better instruments than the alternatives I could find at the time in the same price range.  A lot of private sellers with crazy expectations of price over the last 12 months, I actually got a better price from a dealer in the end.

Those are flames, not quilts - the blue one has a little bit of sort-of quilt, but it's still a flame I think. It's really nice, close to my ideal type of PRS top and colour.

This is a quilt - 

I don't like quilts at all, in any colour.

Also fully agree with you about Goldtops and black Les Paul Customs, which are by far the two best colours.

I've always thought flames were straight and quilts were when there is deviation from straight lines in to waves.  It is pretty obvious the one you've posted is definitely quilted.

Both of mine seem to have a mixture of both, when I look down at my Purple SC when playing it looks what I thought was 'quilt-y' at parts of the top side and again near the horn, which are the main bits of the body I see when playing standing.  It does look flamed in the centre, but I never look at it straight on I'm always playing the thing.  I've never thought about it much tbh!

The CU22 is a 10 top, it is quite symmetrical left to right but the pattern is again fairly flamed in the centre and getting a bit more wavy near the edges.

I quite like the tone of the maple capped CU22 and managed to get it for £1k delivered in the end.  At the time people were starting most ebay auctions higher than that, things are settling down more now in the past few months though.

My favourite looking PRSs are the Black and Silver ones Wes Borland used to use in Limp Bizkit, honestly.  Make them 22 fretters and lose the birds on the silver one and I'd be happy.  The black one with the binding is particularly cool IMO.  Like a superstrat in a sharp suit that would look good in almost any band, but you still know it is a mean rock guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I like flame,  my morgan is AAAAA,  apparently.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Plain tops everyday of the week for me.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited September 2013
    The Wes Borland black one is sweet, not a fan of that silver one though.

I'm not a fan of flame tops, recently picked up a PRS in blue similar the the one posted above, but other than that all my guitars are plain tops or solid colours.

• I prefer plain tops personally.

Not really into the 'bling' guitar thing (especially PRS's).
    I don't like Limp Bizkit, but a pic similar to that (I think he was standing with his head down and his arms hanging down by his sides) is the reason I finally realised PRSs were OK and I could accept owning one. He rescued them from the dentist-and-lawyer type image with a flame-top PRS on a stand next to a wicker-front Boogie in a posh front room...

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited September 2013

imageMy 1989 CU24 (modified). It's not a 10 Top and wasn't as visibly flamed as this when I got it but it's become more so over the years.

I don't mind them but prefer solid colours (sorry, was having issues with posting pic)