Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People who don't like flame tops on PRS guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• Definitely not keen on any guitars with flame tops, whatever they may be. 

The only PRS I ever really wanted from their range was a Goldtop DGT, with moons. Had one, was good, but kind of knew from the outset it would never be a keeper. 

I think PRS already has that blingy vibe, so a flamey top just pushes it over the edge into total blingdom. So would probably rather have the flamey LP if pushed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Not fussed re figured tops, I have one but would have been just as pleased with a plain top.

I do like a 'nice' sunburst finish tho.

Fave guitar tho? My blonde Esquire.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28569
    I like figuring in woods (I've started liking it more as I work with wood more) but I prefer the uneven stuff as it looks more natural.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • the only real flame top was on Jimmy's strat an Monterey.
  • Sporky said:
    I like figuring in woods (I've started liking it more as I work with wood more) but I prefer the uneven stuff as it looks more natural.
    I like wood too, which is why I like sunbursts - with solid colours you can't see the wood! The LP in my avatar pic is a plain top but I do like flamers too...

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    That's nice. Subtle but dark burst, not too flamey, a bit uneven and with plenty of grain figure as well. If only they were all like that!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah - there's a lot more character there. If only it was 1-piece...
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Depends. I used to be bananas for OTT flame and quilt tops. Not so much these days - grown to dislike perfect tops now. Love interesting tops, though like the Lester above.

edited September 2013
    Sporky said:
    Yeah - there's a lot more character there. If only it was 1-piece...
    Noooo! The perfect - ie positive/negative - bookmatching is superb on that one. I know some people don't like it, and when its very tight even flame some think the two pieces are misaligned because there's always a light stripe on one side of the join and a dark on the other - but that one illustrates exactly why it should be like that. I love the way the two halves shift and reverse when you alter the lighting angle. One-piece tops just don't look right.

That one really is one of the best-looking Les Pauls I've ever seen... or it would be if someone got rid of that horrid cheap-looking cream plastic triangle slapped on the front of it, anyway ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    That one really is one of the best-looking Les Pauls I've ever seen... or it would be if someone got rid of that horrid cheap-looking cream plastic triangle slapped on the front of it, anyway ;).
    Wot, u mean that Fatboy aged guard?! I'm such a traditionalist that I think: they were designed to have a guard, therefore I must have one on there. I really must put some pickups in the guitar though, I'm sure it would improve the sound...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16743
    Sporky said:
    i think that happened to me.   I get excited by interesting looking pieces of wood because i start to think what i would like to build with them.

Sometimes i have gone specifically for a tight even flame

sometimes a ridiculously perfect quilt

for colours like this it really needs to be perfect in colour as well as figure, and that makes it more expensive if it was not super pale that blue would turn green or even muddy.   it really is a wonder of nature

i really like unique pieces of wood

but i find something like these equally exciting

what can i say... i like them all.  
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822
    I dislike the PRS headstock shape more than any figuring on the top ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Natural wood is nice for acoustics .DuPont custom colours for electrics or sparkle...no flame for me. As someone said earlier it looks nice but I could never play anything that pretty ....couldn't keep up with my guitar which is no place to be.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Flame tops don't bother me. I'd much rather see the wood grain than have a plain finish, and a little figuring make it interesting. Having said that, I quite like plain colour Strats. Ostentatious finishes do irritate me though, whether it's quilt, bulls eyes or glitter. There's a point where it seems, and this is totally personal subjectivity, that more attention has gone into the looks than into the sound, and that turns me off.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • flame, quilts etc are up there with chorus pedals as the most yucktastic guitary things you can have.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I like solid colours on a PRS like the Navarro model, it's just something about them looking like they are ready for business. I also really like a bashed up PRS, it's wrong, but right. 

I like figuring, but I prefer it to be interesting. As others have mentioned really over the top quilts just make me think of blingy Schecters and the like that are always a letdown when you play them. 

On LPs I like a plaintop burst. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I like that a lot. 

Deffo on the "Not overly blingy" end of PRS.
    Indeed - despite meeting one of ICBM's generally decent rules of "NO!", that's quite pretty. I still prefer satin finishes though.
    edited September 2013
    Nah, it's fine. It is very tight and even, but there's enough variation in the angle of the stripes to make it not look too artificial, and the colour tones it down. Most importantly it's not sunburst :). Even more so, no birds...