Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People who don't like flame tops on PRS guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• I like both figured tops and plain tops, I like them all....as long as it's well made, plays well and sounds good who cares! Now here's some perfect quilt for you ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love a blingy guitar. My next build is likely going to be a blue, purple or green wudtone quilt (burst if I can with a golden colour) topped super strat with a wenge or maple and ebony neck with gold frets, a gold bridge and gold pickups. But I might use stainless frets and burnt nickel hardware, I'm undecided...

Either way, it'll be bling heaven and I'd love it. Granted, most of you would vomit, but since when did guitars need to look smart, serious or... Suitable!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I like both figured tops and plain tops, I like them all....as long as it's well made, plays well and sounds good who cares! Now here's some perfect quilt for you ;)

That, is absolutely fabulous. Collings isn't it?
  • hywelg said:
    That, is absolutely fabulous. Collings isn't it? 
    Yes, it's a City Limits Deluxe. Collings are expensive but they make the most exquisite instruments, I've never had one that's been less than perfection. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    How's about my Morgan ?  I wanted wood, but not too much and no flaming - think he nailed it.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I like both figured tops and plain tops, I like them all....as long as it's well made, plays well and sounds good who cares! Now here's some perfect quilt for you ;)

That is truly hideous.

This is personal opinion as well so I apologise in advance, but I've never played a Collings guitar that was less than perfectly made or had any character at all. The same as the usual accusation levelled against PRS, I know... but magnified.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4270
    edited September 2013

Yes, all personal opinion of course, but have to agree that the Collings above is the antithesis of everything I like in a guitar. It has that cheap cheap tacky look, which is odd given the price tag, and knowing how perfectly they are crafted.

I have owned one Collings electric and played quite a few, and I would rate them as the very very best in build quality. The one I had sounded more in tune than any other guitar I have owned. Even when all my other guitars were reading as perfect intonation on the tuner, the Collings still sounded more in tune. A bit indefinable, but still noticeable. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

However, still sold it as it lacked some kind of character. Something missing, probably as indefinable as the tuning thing, but still missing.

Anyway, a bit off topic there. But summary is:  Flames are bad, Quilts are horrid. :D

• All this talk of prs over the last couple of days has got me gassing for one bad again, I know I'll enjoy it for a few weeks then the weird sense of must not ding it will creep in and 2 weeks later I'll sell it again but still.... I want one. It's been the same pattern for my last 9 prs guitars except now I'm ready to ding it I think?
    Why not just buy a pre-dinged one? Cheaper and you won't lose as much money when you inevitably get that nagging feeling of not wanting to own a PRS again?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha I like the maple on the collings, but not the colour. It would be cooler if it was purple or darker, maybe grey. Maybe because it would mute it?

And had better looking knobs. Easily fixed, that one...
  • I like subtle flame, with the mineral streaks etc, like on original 58-60 LPs.  I don't usually like the really symmetrical and stripey tops but there's always exceptions.  I went for a used R7 myself, cheaper than an R8 and waaay cheaper than an R9.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I think les Paul's can get away with a flame top more than a prs, because they have less bling on them in the first place. Even down to the shape of the body and headstock .

They're just it more subtle in the 1st place.
    Haha I like the maple on the collings, but not the colour. It would be cooler if it was purple or darker, maybe grey.
    Black?

:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;32193" said:
    Why not just buy a pre-dinged one? Cheaper and you won't lose as much money when you inevitably get that nagging feeling of not wanting to own a PRS again?
    I did that and stupidly sold it on instead of a musicman.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I'm a sucker for an interesting and/or unusual looking piece of wood. The trouble is that birds-eye, flame, and quilt have been done and overdone to the point that they're neither interesting or unusual these days. I've had it up to here with AAA grade this and 10-Top that and a nicely chosen piece of wood which hasn't been treated in a way which makes any figuring leap out and poke you in the eye with a stick is infinitely more appealling. That said I've seen some lovely use of spalted timbers, and not necessarily just in hand-crafted exotica either, some of those spalted top, 2HB, set-neck Telecasters Fender did a couple of years ago were absolutely stunning....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10576
    tFB Trader
    I don't really like flames on Gibbos, PRS or anything much ... I have subtle quilting on my V100 top (well the veneer over the top) and that's almost too much for me. It's fine on other peoples guitars ... knock yourselves out, but I like my guitars a bit plain and utilitarian ... except my Ibanez semis ... but then they are solid colours. It's not flametops on PRSs I hate it's the fact they are PRS :) Total prejudice ... and proud of it.
    Oh apart from one certain PRS SE 'One' that I lust after ... but then that's dead plain ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Are we not all victims of fashion ?

I currently enjoy natural plain clear coated wood, no stain, no flame. In 2004 I drooled over AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA flame maple tops with gold nuggets ingrained. In the 80s I was a Floyd Rose fanatic.

If we kept the same tastes through life, the used market would dry up. New fashion justifies GAS.

• Jalapeno said:
    How's about my Morgan ?  I wanted wood, but not too much and no flaming - think he nailed it.

Not sure he quite nailed the 'no flaming' part of the brief...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I probably meant Quilt ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    edited September 2013

I can't do bling to any real level.

Quilts are an absolute no, as is gold hardware, as are most bursts that aren't traditional vintage sunburst / cherryburst types.

Having said that my Strat has an AA flamed neck, so that's probably sacriledge right there. Nothing else on the guitar is bling though so I like it as a subtle bit of interest, it wasn't the reason I bought the guitar either, just happened to be the guitar I liked.

Those heavy blinged Schecters and the like make a little bit of sick come into my mouth.