Advice on my (probably) final guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited January 2022
    The plot thickens folks. I came across a YouTube video of the Lowden F23 being played in much the same manner as I play. It was awful!!!

I also found a McIlroy A25C for sale second hand and the YouTube videos showed a guitar much brighter than I'm looking for.

Maybe I'll take a trip to scratch this itch and find out what I really want.

Thanks for all your advice. I may end up at Promenade Music again for carbon fibre?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Good job you saw the YT  video! If you go to Promenade, Mick, try carbon fibre, sure, but also everything they've got. You know the drill, you're looking for one that you can't leave alone. Good luck :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mellish said:
    Good job you saw the YT  video! If you go to Promenade, Mick, try carbon fibre, sure, but also everything they've got. You know the drill, you're looking for one that you can't leave alone. Good luck :) 

Used to be a regular at Promenade when I traveled to Cumbria regularly. But I don't know about trying everything - life's to short for that. But I'll try and narrow it down a bit before arriving. Their website is quite good.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I've had three Lowdens - an F23C, an S32 and a WL22. I've also got a custom  2019 Ard Ri Avalon - an S7-OAK cutaway 12-fretter (Sinker Redwood Top / Oak B&S).

Comparing something from the Avalon custom Ard-Ri series with the F23C, which is from Lowden's basic range, is not a fair comparison.

The build quality and finish of my S7-OAK is superior to any Lowden I've had. you also get to choose some of the options and parameters e.g. mine has a non-standard 46mm nut width. The sound is magical - unlike any other acoustic I've played. Their guitars also usually come with a full photographic history of the build process.

Having said that, I am thinking of selling my Avalon. Why? I only play nylon string classicals nowadays and it has just been sitting there making me feel guilty. Just in case you were tempted, I should point out that I am left-handed (as is the guitar)!

If you haven't already done so, it is worth contacting Steve at Avalon directly as you may be surprised by the price. Having said that, because of the name, Lowdens generally have a better resale value. But if it is your last guitar? ........ (do you realy believe the!!??)

BTW - for something without Irish heritage, have you tried Brook?
  • GTC wrote - "The sound is magical - unlike any other acoustic I've played"

Would you like to try and describe what you mean. Please remember I'm an old strummer and tune geek.
    GTC wrote - "The sound is magical - unlike any other acoustic I've played"

Would you like to try and describe what you mean. Please remember I'm an old strummer and tune geek.
    Difficult to put into words - so I picked it up and gave it a rare (nowadays) outing. A complex tone - almost like a 12-string, particularly on the trebles but with the the main notes clearly sounding through - and fantastic sustain. Greater clarity than the Lowdens I've played. Sinker redwood is notorious for taking a long time to break in and it has been wonderful to hear such a lovely guitar getting better and better with time.

I should mention that I am a fingerstyle player. I've heard people say that Avalons have a more American sound than Lowdens  due to the bridge construction - perhaps more suited to a strummer / flatpicker.

Well, this brief outing with the Avalon playing a few classical-ish things has been enough to convince me that I must be mad to be thinking of selling it.

I hope this helps - and good luck with your decision
  • Thanks, that clarifies things a lot. I know what you mean about sustain. My L'Arrivee does the same but with a very mellow balance.
  • GTC said:

If you haven't already done so, it is worth contacting Steve at Avalon directly as you may be surprised by the price. Having said that, because of the name, Lowdens generally have a better resale value. But if it is your last guitar? ........ (do you really believe the!!??)

Thanks GTC - contacted Steve and he told me he had a guitar that should match my needs in process just now. Ready in about 6 weeks. Once I pick up the courage to pay the deposit, it should have my name on it. If it doesn't suit, I can return it - but I sincerely hope I don't have to. The photos look very promising.

Spec: Auditorium cutaway, Bear claw spruce and walnut. LR Baggs pick up. Pity I'm not blessed with patience!
    Sounds good - and not too long to wait either
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3692
    If you’re finding six weeks too long best you don’t look at Brooks  =)
    Six weeks will soon pass, Mick. Then, hopefully, she's a good 'un :) 
  • Great news :) Steve is a pleasure to deal with and the Avalons are superb. 
  • Thanx guys. Trusting all will turn out for the best. And Steve has the patience of a saint. I used to be a safety regulator and I'm used to asking questions. Steve answered each promptly and politely. But think I'll quit that while I'm still ahead!! ;)
  • Thanx guys. Trusting all will turn out for the best. And Steve has the patience of a saint. I used to be a safety regulator and I'm used to asking questions. Steve answered each promptly and politely. But think I'll quit that while I'm still ahead!! ;)
    He's great, he even sent me pictures of the guitar in progress, which helped with the patience problem and provided reassurance about the end product.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited February 2022
    I tried to e mail Steve to get a progress report on my guitar last week and had expected a response by now. So I phoned a few minutes ago and got the messaging service. Hope I'm not panicking but they have my £1k deposit. Fortunately it's on a credit card!

By any chance does anyone know what's going on or is it just they have shut down for a time because of the weather?
    @TheMadMick ; easy to say, but I wouldn't worry mate. I totally get your desire for an update (I'd be the same) but I'm sure all will turn out well :) 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    GTC said:
    GTC wrote - "The sound is magical - unlike any other acoustic I've played"

Difficult to put into words - so I picked it up and gave it a rare (nowadays) outing. A complex tone - almost like a 12-string, particularly on the trebles but with the the main notes clearly sounding through - and fantastic sustain. Greater clarity than the Lowdens I've played. Sinker redwood is notorious for taking a long time to break in and it has been wonderful to hear such a lovely guitar getting better and better with time.

I should mention that I am a fingerstyle player. I've heard people say that Avalons have a more American sound than Lowdens  due to the bridge construction - perhaps more suited to a strummer / flatpicker.

Well, this brief outing with the Avalon playing a few classical-ish things has been enough to convince me that I must be mad to be thinking of selling it.

I hope this helps - and good luck with your decision
    I think the "American sounding" Avalons were the D300, S320 etc that were designed to sound more American, and have different bracing
    I have a D300 and it's very different to the normal Avalon sound
    Americana | Avalon Guitars - Handmade acoustic guitars, hand crafted in Ireland

Those ones have less complex harmonics, and can work better with some arrangements

I'd say the best Avalon guitars for flatpickers would be ones with very stiff spruce (e.g. Adirondack) tops

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    btw - One thing I'd change on the Avalons I custom-ordered
    I'd have one-piece saddles instead of the split ones

• btw - One thing I'd change on the Avalons I custom-ordered
    I'd have one-piece saddles instead of the split ones

Would you like to explain why please? I've never had much a preference either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mellish said:
    @TheMadMick ; easy to say, but I wouldn't worry mate. I totally get your desire for an update (I'd be the same) but I'm sure all will turn out well :) 

Trust you are right. But I'm a natural worrier.