Advice on my (probably) final guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I think the "American sounding" Avalons were the D300, S320 etc that were designed to sound more American, and have different bracing
    I have a D300 and it's very different to the normal Avalon sound
    Americana | Avalon Guitars - Handmade acoustic guitars, hand crafted in Ireland

Those ones have less complex harmonics, and can work better with some arrangements

I'd say the best Avalon guitars for flatpickers would be ones with very stiff spruce (e.g. Adirondack) tops
    I'd heard it was something to do with the fact that Avalons have a pin bridge whereas Lowdens have a through bridge. I wouldn't have thought it would make too much difference though.TheMadMick said:
    I tried to e mail Steve to get a progress report on my guitar last week and had expected a response by now. So I phoned a few minutes ago and got the messaging service. Hope I'm not panicking but they have my £1k deposit. Fortunately it's on a credit card!

By any chance does anyone know what's going on or is it just they have shut down for a time because of the weather?
    I wouldn't worry - in my experience, communication can go a bit quiet when there's nothing much happening but I'm sure they'll come through soon. Customer communication seems to revolve around Steve himself and if he is diverted for any reason there could be some delays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    edited February 2022
    btw - One thing I'd change on the Avalons I custom-ordered
    I'd have one-piece saddles instead of the split ones

Would you like to explain why please? I've never had much a preference either way.
    I think the intonation on the G string usually sounds better on a single saddlepiece - I think it's one of George Lowden's design ideas, but I think an adjust single piece saddle is a better idea. 
    Avalon will build it with a one piece if you ask in time- it's the last thing that gets added

Do some research and see who agrees with me?
  • Took a look on the web and there seem to be 2 non exclusive reasons for a split saddle.

1. Because the intonation is based on the thickness of the string's "core" the thickest one is the B string. However, thickness increases the vibrating length to get the intonation right (it says) so the B string needs to be quite a bit longer than a single saddle will permit.

2. To get even response across all strings with an under saddle pick up, the strings should sit square to the saddle and that can best be achieved with a split saddle.

Can't say whether or not either or both are correct but they sound convincing. I have to say, doing a lot of my playing in a cold church, I tend to tune a few cents sharp to allow for the room to heat up and the warmth from my fingers letting the strings lengthen slightly.
  • I think the split saddle is primarily a marketing idea that caught on. If it is done properly a single piece saddle works very well. One thing that does make a difference is the thickness of the saddle. 
  • Gave Avalon another ring yesterday and got the answering service again. Hmmmmmm????
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I'd leave a message asking for an update over your guitar build. Have you got their email address? Maybe email them, asking for same info. But I still think it'll be fine :) 
  • I think the split saddle is primarily a marketing idea that caught on. If it is done properly a single piece saddle works very well. One thing that does make a difference is the thickness of the saddle. 
    If so, Stefan Sobell and HJ Williams are marketing junkies. Personally, on the guitars that use it that I own, it is a real positive.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    Gave Avalon another ring yesterday and got the answering service again. Hmmmmmm????
    there's not many people there, Steve doesn't sit there all day, don't fret
    the luthiers work somewhere else in the building, so wouldn't be answering the main phone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited February 2022
    Gave Avalon another ring yesterday and got the answering service again. Hmmmmmm????
    there's not many people there, Steve doesn't sit there all day, don't fret
    the luthiers work somewhere else in the building, so wouldn't be answering the main phone
    Totally with @ToneControl here. Steve is trying to control a business, while being "arms length" polite to each customer. I am very sure that all is well. Imagine a builder who has a 2.5 year build list responding to a question regarding progress ? .......In context  I am sure all is well. ( Cannot wait for the finished product to be posted ! )

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    Well, finally got a response from Steve at Avalon. They have been ravaged by COVID for nearly 3 weeks. Phew!!

It was due for delivery 18 March (the day after St Pat's day) but I doubt that will be met now.

Some pics show the neck is on, the fretboard is on and waiting for its frets, the body is complete. The next activity, I'm told, is spraying and that takes a while (nitro).

Well, I hope it's worth the wait. I'm quite attached to it already and it's not even complete yet.
    Well, good news for sure. If if were me, I'd be chomping at the bit to get at it ;). I hope it turns out to be everything you've wanted in an acoustic. Fingers crossed :) 
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    Hi folks. Just joined the forum having stalked for a while.
    Congrats @TheMadMick on the Avalon. I collected my third from Steve last week, so obviously I’m a fan. Don’t have a walnut one though… yet. He’s been a gentleman to deal with. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with your new arrival.
    Vinny.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Vinny ; - welcome to TFB :). Admin/Mods are in New Members should you need them. Enjoy! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, finally got a response from Steve at Avalon. They have been ravaged by COVID for nearly 3 weeks. Phew!!

It was due for delivery 18 March (the day after St Pat's day) but I doubt that will be met now.

Some pics show the neck is on, the fretboard is on and waiting for its frets, the body is complete. The next activity, I'm told, is spraying and that takes a while (nitro).

Well, I hope it's worth the wait. I'm quite attached to it already and it's not even complete yet.
    Please let us know what it's like, when you finally get it.
    Where we were yesterday. Due to go to be nitro sprayed soon.

Item detail

Well jealous :) 
    edited March 2022
    Well, it happened again. E mailed Monday for progress but no response until Wednesday - at least I didn't panic. Turns out Steve was in hospital.

The guitar has now had its wash coat of nitro (assume that's a primer coat) and, as expected, the delivery date has gone out - now 8 April. Shame, I was supposed to have it yesterday!

Pity the Good Lord didn't bless me with patience!
    Well I'd be every bit as impatient! But hang in there mate, you'll soon get your hands on her :) 
    Progress!!!

Item detail

Looks good to me. Needs a little more spraying. Should be next week of week after when I get it (I hope).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    edited March 2022
    Don’t you hate it when you add a comment to a thread and then realise it’s quite an old thread and you just commented on the first page.  You look to the end of the thread and find that your comment is entirely irrelevant.  Oh well.