Help needed! Uploading images to imgur then downloading to fretboard.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DiscoStu said:
    You've got me curious now!

Can you see the images in the OP of this thread of mine?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221116/ngd-its-a-tele-but-it-isnt
    Nope, just the links.

One other thing to mention - if you're using the attachment tool on mobile, you may have to hit space after pasting to get the image to appear.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Direct loading of images to this forum *IS* a function that's currently being worked on.
    This.

Basically, there will be a subscription model (since image hosting costs £££, and there's the extra manpower requirement for checking uploaded images for copyright etc). I'm more or less settled on £3.50/month, which should cover us for the foreseeable future. An added bonus is that subscribers don't see ads.

I'm working on the finer details, like the integration with Patreon to make it a seamless subscription and renewal process; unfortunately, they don't provide a test API to develop against, so it's kind of live-or-nothing....hence taking my time over it to make sure it's all going to behave itself when left unattended.

Basically, though, when it's done subscribers will be able to directly upload images from any device and we won't need to care too much about how much storage is used. At least, unless we have loads of people subscribing and then they all unsubscribe en masse after uploading a ton of images.
    I can see it's a difficult call.

Personally if I was running FB(I'm not, so can feel free to be irresponsibly opinionated), I would not go to the subciscriber model, because that might limit the wildness of your of some of your content. FYI the Acoustic Guitar Forum is very civilized(some could say tame) and operates a subscription model.

Instead I would charge a hefty fee(say 10-12£) just for listing a guitar for sale, on the basis that is a community for the specially interested and motivated, financially.

And that, if you sold say a Gibson Les Paul on ebay or I think Reverb, you'd be looking at paying £100 in commission, for a £ £1000 guitar. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited January 2022
    viz said:
    DiscoStu said:
    You've got me curious now!

Can you see the images in the OP of this thread of mine?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221116/ngd-its-a-tele-but-it-isnt
    Discostu, you’re using the full desktop version of tfb on your mobile (I do this too). If you used the mobile version, both types of link just show the link. Not the pic. 
    THIS is the way.
    I always use 'Full Site' from the option at the very bottom of the screen below the Vanilla/Chris info. Just tried going back to the 'Mobile Site' and my embedded pics now appear as links, whereas @Roland 's image shows properly.
    Another of this site's idiosyncrasies.
    Right, gonna try again because now I know that not everyone can see my images even though I've been copy/pasting for years and thought it working!

This should be a photo of my Explorer, posted using the attachment tool. I tried it earlier but the image disappeared every time I pressed enter, but this time I've pressed Space as per @Jonathangus .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Any better?
  • DiscoStu said:
    Any better?
    Yes!  Embedded on desktop and mobile.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

DiscoStu said:
    Any better?
    Yes!  Embedded on desktop and mobile.
    Yay!
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Well done @DiscoStu :+1: