Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Don't like klon sounds

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
So I've had an EHX Soul Food for quite a few years now. The more I play it, the more I don't like it. I find it too muddy sounding and, even tweaking the tone control, I just can't enjoy it. 

Seems the klon sound isn't for me so the Timmy search will properly begin I think. My Emma Electronics Onomatopoeia is great...not sure how that compares to a timmy though?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    MXR Timmy are easy to find used - think there’s one on here at the mo 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4828
    edited February 2022
    £75 here for the MXR one, it's a great pedal, I'm pretty sure Paul C says it's the same. Why mess round with the copies and the fakes, just buy the real thing?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited February 2022
    I love the MXR Timmy and it's indistinguishable from the Original Paul C version, but I wish I'd not flipped the original one I had though. The Soul Food shouldn't sound muddy though have you tried it with the buffer switched on? Klon(e)s are often liked so much because of the buffer.
  • Klones sound honky to me too
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    The Klon circuit only suits certain amps. I like it with my Fender HRD but it doesn't play as well with other amps I have. It's also best at low gain settings I find, with another pedal after it for higher gain tones. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4828
    Klon works great into plexi amps for a solo boost, even more so with the gain up a bit. YMMV and all that, but it's definitely magical into that style of circuit.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I really liked my Soul Food as a boost for my Jubilee, to me it did the same sort of thing as a Tubescreamer but a bit clearer/less compressed sounding. Also gave a nice bit of sparkle to the sound on cleanup whereas a TS cleans up poorly.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Boromedic said:
    Klon works great into plexi amps for a solo boost, even more so with the gain up a bit. YMMV and all that, but it's definitely magical into that style of circuit.
    This. Everything about it from the clean blend to the mid hump & bass tightening to the way the tone knob works shows it's designed to boost something else that's already distorting. Run it like that and it's unbeatable.

Of course, then you have a very expensive pedal that you never used on its own, but hey. More fun than treating it as a clean boost.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17621
    tFB Trader
    Klon works best as a shaping tool with something else. As a main drive it's a bit nasal sounding.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I dislike them quite strongly - they have a nasty metallic high-mid overtone which really grates on me. I've never tried an original, but I have heard several copies, both straight copies and with added EQ, and they all have it.

I have to say the ludicrous hype is also a major put-off. It's an overdrive pedal, which most people seem to think only sounds great when it's not being used as an overdrive pedal... that pretty much says it all to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    I don’t like the Klon for gain. But as a clean boost, it’s ace. Tweaks the sound somehow, sounds better, adds a little bottom end, so that’s how I run mine. Tumnus is the best I’ve tried. Gain via a Timmy, and even then, only edge of breakup
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited February 2022
    ICBM said:
    It's an overdrive pedal, which most people seem to think only sounds great when it's not being used as an overdrive pedal... that pretty much says it all to me.
    No different to a Tubescreamer then really, they sound awful (imo) unless being used as a boost for a dirty amp.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17621
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    ICBM said:
    It's an overdrive pedal, which most people seem to think only sounds great when it's not being used as an overdrive pedal... that pretty much says it all to me.
    No different to a Tubescreamer then really, they sound awful (imo) unless being used as a boost for a dirty amp.

Yeah that's how I feel about it.

I think TS pedals are horrible as drives as well.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Klon a and their clones always work better when your amp is almost on the edge of breakup in itself to my ears , Everyone’s ears perceive tone differently so if it’s not for you then that’s totally fine, I have that with JCM800”s .cant stand the things, the mid range and overall shrillness hurts my ears  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    TTBZ said:

I like Tube Screamers when they're actually adding dirt not volume though - still into a dirty amp, but with the pedal as an overdrive not a boost. They don't have the nasty grating tone either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I found all the Klon type pedals (RYRA & Ceriatone) not much good to me at home volumes. They might suit some players but I was left scratching my head in puzzlement as to what all the fuss was about…. :s
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I think the nocturne atomic brain is better than  a klon as a tone enhancing preamp. The ryra I had added a nice dimension but after getting a mystery brain from these quarters I traded it
  • ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:

I like Tube Screamers when they're actually adding dirt not volume though - still into a dirty amp, but with the pedal as an overdrive not a boost. They don't have the nasty grating tone either.
    Which other overdrives do you like? (Into a clean amp)

I've owned a few OD pedals over the years, never got on with a single one.

Like yourself I also do not really understand the hyperbole for the Klon circuit, does nothing for my ears. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    The klon circuit works as a mild overdrive into an amp at the point of breakup. If you don't play at volume try a king of tone circuit IMHO great with a clean amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like watching people argue about Klon diodes and which ones sound best, all the while everyone has the gain below half way and the diodes are not even being driven ;)

Drive pedals are funny. Ignore hype, try a few out. Similar circuits can sound quite different - but Klon types are pretty much always clones, so don't bother. Timmy is a nice drive - get the mxr and see if you like it.

I've found myself torn between the Blue Monster and a weird, ultra-cheap (but sort of rare) tubescreamer-with-no-diodes pedal. Both sound great to me and work. No one else seems to have used them or heard of them!