Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Don't like klon sounds

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Maroon?… right I think you’re talking about Analogman King of Tone whereas I’m talking about the company King of Tone.
    Yes. Well, you have to admit it's an easy mistake to make :).

I'd never even heard of the company King Of Tone... !
    I’m 99% sure you’d hate their pedals so no need to explore further!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    TINMAN82 said:

I’m 99% sure you’d hate their pedals so no need to explore further!
    lol

You've actually got me interested now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited February 2022
    TINMAN82 said:
    Maroon?… right I think you’re talking about Analogman King of Tone whereas I’m talking about the company King of Tone.

I have no further comment then as I’ve never personally tried the Analogman. I gather it’s still a staple of Kenny Wayne Shepherds rig. 
    It's King Tone that make the Duellist, Blues Power etc...NOT King of Tone

https://www.kingtoneguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    TINMAN82 said:

I have no further comment then as I’ve never personally tried the Analogman. I gather it’s still a staple of Kenny Wayne Shepherds rig. 

Correct. I own a  Blues Power and still got that wrong. @ICBM still wouldn’t like it though  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited February 2022
    TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Correct. I own a  Blues Power and still got that wrong. @ICBM still wouldn’t like it though 
    He likes to be the contrarian for (perceived) Wisdom Frets

RandallFlagg said:

He likes to be the contrarian for (perceived) Wisdom Frets
    I preferred facepalms ;).

No, I just hear some things differently from (it appears) most people, and I'm always happy to go against 'popular wisdom' if that's not how it sounds to me... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7543
    It’s easy to forget that talking about how any particular pedal sounds, without reference to what it’s sending signal to, isn’t that useful, and can itself mean two completely different experiences that seem hard to reconcile 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I generally like pedals that work in most situations rather than ones that need specific settings into specific amps with specific settings in specific scenarios.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure I actually dislike those... but they're just the blandest, most uninspiring pedal I can remember trying - apart from the Marshall Bluesbreaker, which it's based on.

I have an Analogman KOT and it’s easily my favourite overdrive/boost pedal, as it excels with all of my various guitars and amps, either adding overdrive to a totally clean amp or boosting a dirty amp.

The volume control needs to be set above 12 o’clock on these, otherwise I agree they can sound dull and uninspiring (even the maker says this in the enclosed instructions) so maybe you didn’t have the pedal optimised to hear what it can really do?

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

Sassafras said:
    I generally like pedals that work in most situations rather than ones that need specific settings into specific amps with specific settings in specific scenarios.
    The pedals being (a bit unfairly) criticised on this thread are generally common types that are used within lots of different setups…Klon, TS, KoT. However, “most” situations will always be the case as some pedal EQs obviously suit certain amp types better (mid rangey TS into scooped blackface etc).
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Someone do a clip of a Klon with everything on half boosting a Mesa V twin that was already set up for a decent distorted rhythm sound, I bet it'll sound absolutely killer and make @ICBM find god.
  • TheMarlin said:
    I don’t like the Klon for gain. But as a clean boost, it’s ace. Tweaks the sound somehow, sounds better, adds a little bottom end, so that’s how I run mine. Tumnus is the best I’ve tried. Gain via a Timmy, and even then, only edge of breakup
    This is 100% spot on.
    I am just not sure the diodes are really producing.much if it's set as a boost. 

Maybe someone should make one with diodes taken out 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• TheMarlin said:
    I don’t like the Klon for gain. But as a clean boost, it’s ace. Tweaks the sound somehow, sounds better, adds a little bottom end, so that’s how I run mine. Tumnus is the best I’ve tried. Gain via a Timmy, and even then, only edge of breakup
    This is 100% spot on.
    I am just not sure the diodes are really producing.much if it's set as a boost. 

Maybe someone should make one with diodes taken out 
    Jhs reckon the gain needs to be around 60 percent if I recall, before the diodes are actually being over driven and thus imparting any character.

So yes, you could probably make a diode-less version. 
  • I don't think its particularly contrarian to describe the King of Tone as nothing special.

A dig through most KoT threads will find plenty statements along the lines of "tried one, didn't see what the fuss was about". 
  • I don't think its particularly contrarian to describe the King of Tone as nothing special.

A dig through most KoT threads will find plenty statements along the lines of "tried one, didn't see what the fuss was about". 

In fact, it sort of says it does what it sets out to do. It's not supposed to be weird or drastically change your sound, it's supposed to produce a pretty easy to get along with overdrive tone. 

Which, by definition, is a bit boring for those of us who want something fuzzy, fizzy, wiry or otherwise more signal-mangling. Horses for courses, innit? 
  • I like my Archer as a "fruity clean boost" but less so when wound up. I also really like my Jan Ray with a little more hair on it. 

But crikey, I never liked the Lightspeed I built despite that being everyone's absolutely flavour of the month a few years back. But I'm well aware that gear is hugely situation-dependent. Hell, I have pedals I love through one of my own amps but never liked through another: 

My old favourite Rat and relatively new shiny Revival Drive Compact are both amazing into my Badcat but comparatively rubbish with my TMDR. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Cirrus said:
    Someone do a clip of a Klon with everything on half boosting a Mesa V twin that was already set up for a decent distorted rhythm sound, I bet it'll sound absolutely killer and make @ICBM find god.
    I'll give it a try next time I've got one to work on. I'll take a bet that an SD-1 sounds better for that though :).

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1439
    I don't get it. Scratchy, buzzing mess. Just awful. What is it that people like about the Tone King? Please explain. Thanks.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11913
    I think someone need to put a Klon, TS, KOT, Timmy through a switch and try and dial them the same then do a blind test to see if we can tell the difference.
  • I think someone need to put a Klon, TS, KOT, Timmy through a switch and try and dial them the same then do a blind test to see if we can tell the difference.
    That's a great idea - maybe done with different amp types too