Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Don't like klon sounds

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    PopDufc said:
    I have a fulldrive 2 and began to be put off by an " artificial " overdrive sound at all levels. Son in law has a boutique clone ( Ryra Klone) and I thought all my OD prayers would be answered. Plan was to but a TC electronic Zeus. Listening to the Ryra through my little, bedroom, setup I realised I like the Klone less than the Caline Crazy Cacti! 
    I want to have a lead tone similar to changing the amp to a different channel with a footswitch. My little blackstar my-1rh has no such ability. 
    I'll keep on looking for a genuine overdrive sound.
    Sounds like a Timmy is what you want, or a decent boost. Boss OD-3 is great for home use also. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    PopDufc said:

I want to have a lead tone similar to changing the amp to a different channel with a footswitch. My little blackstar my-1rh has no such ability. 
    I'll keep on looking for a genuine overdrive sound.
    You probably need a Blackstar overdrive pedal. (I think the LT Drive, but I haven’t tried one for a long time.)

The overdrive channel on the Blackstar is not *too* far removed from a Tube Screamer-type overdrive used as a clean-ish boost, but I would think the voicing of the Blackstar pedal is closer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 647
    To me overdrive, boost, distortion, fuzz are all pretty broad terms with a great deal of overlap.
    I don't think there is a "correct" way to use any of them. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    The Soul Food isn't a great Klon clone, it's a great pedal (imho) and I'd take one over a TS pedal any day but it's not a great Klon. I found this out by "upgrading" to a Ryra Klone and after the initial honeymoon phase I went back to the Soul Food. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    My pedalboard for some time now has been a KOT into a Klon KTR.
    The KTR is always on and I use both sides of the KOT.

I don't hear what ICBM is saying about the KOT being bland.
    It needs to be played at volume and what you plug it into matters.
    What I like about it is you can still hear the guitar- a Tele sounds like a Tele, a Strat like a Strat.
    With most higher gain pedals they sound like the pedal.

That used to be my thing but the longer I do this the more I want to hear the guitar and the playing, not the pedal.