Grooveboxes, synths, iPad rabbit hole

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    DM1 is a surprisingly good sounding drum machine app for peanuts too. Actually made it on to our album on one track. 
    Some of the kits sound very good and it’s easy to use. There’s a new version out but I’m not sure if an upgrade is necessary for my uses.
    My most recent score is AUM, a mixer/recorder which can be loaded with virtual instruments and also analog audio input. I’m finding it very complicated and might have to resort to printing out the manual but when it is in the hands of someone who knows what they’re doing it’s an amazing tool. I’m new to computer music and midi, and grasping the language and terms is my first hurdle. The depth and complexity of the sounds you can create make it worthwhile though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Paul_C said:

I haven't even plugged the Circuit Tracks in yet and wonder if I really needed it.

I hooked my Circuit up to the IPad the other day and I can really recommend it. 

The Circuit can sequence the iPad and programming with nice velocity sensitive pads is much nicer than pecking away at a touch screen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I'll give that a try at some point - the Tracks is currently sitting in its box at the moment.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    For wibbly wobbly noises and Radiophonic randomness, it is hard to beat the Arturia Buchla Easel V soft synth. (I downloaded the free demo and use it to create loops.)

KORG ARP Odyssey software is capable of generating electro percussion and Eno scapes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

For wibbly wobbly noises and Radiophonic randomness, it is hard to beat the Arturia Buchla Easel V soft synth. (I downloaded the free demo and use it to create loops.)

KORG ARP Odyssey software is capable of generating electro percussion and Eno scapes.

That Arturia synth isn't in the app. store, are there other ways to acquire things like that without dealing with Apple direct?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    My mistake. Arturia Buchla Easel V is not offered as an iOS app … yet. 

Instead, it runs on a computer as either a standalone or as a plug-in instrument within a DAW. It probably demands a screen large enough to show what the controls and patch cables are doing.

Meanwhile, three classic synthesizers are offered plus an electronic percussion synthesizer. Check those out while the 50% sale is on.

If I could only choose one, it would be the Prophet VS softsynth. Plenty to learn within one instrument.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If you’re connecting an audio interface to your iPad, or using lots of audio apps, it’s worth checking out AUM. Let’s you route and mix audio and midi. It works nicely with my interface too:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/aum-audio-mixer/id1055636344
  • For any iOS users out there MusicTech.net have some great lists of apps that are worth checking out for instance:
    https://musictech.com/guides/buyers-guide/best-sound-design-apps/

Among there you can find Vosis: an app that lets you make music using images as an input!
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/vosis/id783342051
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Welcome to the rabbit hole!

I don't play guitar as much these days(life) so my iPad has become one of my main sources for noisemaking. 

Couple of my favourite apps:

Pure Acid

All in one Acid groovebox, simp TB-303 bass and TR-808 / 707 / 909 drums all under one roof with a brilliant sequencer and onboard effects.

Koala Sampler

Simple and intuitive sampler with almost limitless depth, my daughter has great fun with this one going round the house recording noises then sequencing them up into little riffs/beats.

Honourable mention for anything by Bram Bos , Hammerhead is probably my favourite IOS drum machine.

Easter just around the corner aswell so there will likely be some good sales on.

Any specific questions feel free to message me :)

tFB Trader
    I've just ordered a Polyend Tracker to go with my Circuit Tracks so I'm even deeper down the hole!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Has any one tried Eventide effects? Just noticed most of them are on the App Store, and it looks like using AUM I should be able to run guitar through them 
  • I've just ordered a Polyend Tracker to go with my Circuit Tracks so I'm even deeper down the hole!
    That looks like such a nice bit of gear! Seems to be a modern classic 
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    For me the game changer on the iPad rabbit hole has been korg iM1 and AUM. This allows “levels” of traditional keyboard scenario with the korg offering but the ability to load and manipulate other synths withe the iM1 within AUM. Also coupled with m-audio oxygene v4
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    Sonicware's new SmplTrek looks interesting, so much so I've backed it. I was tempted by their previous Liven8 but didn't go for one in the end. Check out the SmplTrek here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonicware/smpltrek-portable-production-sampler
  • Polyend are teasing something new. Waiting to see what that is, otherwise may get a Tracker 
    tFB Trader
    Polyend are teasing something new. Waiting to see what that is, otherwise may get a Tracker 

It looks to have light up pads so it seems like it might be a Circuit Tracks type thing.

• Polyend are teasing something new. Waiting to see what that is, otherwise may get a Tracker 

It looks to have light up pads so it seems like it might be a Circuit Tracks type thing.

I think it will be a sequencer like their Seq. All the focus has been on the lights and the grid. Pre Tracker sequencing was a bit more of their focus. I’m curious now as to whether it will ne a pure controller, or if there will be an instrument side to it too
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    @personalnadir i have several of the Eventide apps, they sound really great to my ears. you can make almost endless effects chains in multiple channels in AUM.
    I would really recommend the Midi guitar 2 app too, if you fancy running your guitar through all the various synth apps.
  • kin said:
    @personalnadir i have several of the Eventide apps, they sound really great to my ears. you can make almost endless effects chains in multiple channels in AUM.
    I would really recommend the Midi guitar 2 app too, if you fancy running your guitar through all the various synth apps.

Thanks, out of the lot of them, is there any one you'd recommend. The Blackhole reverb and the microtuning one are the two that caught my eye.

Recently I've grabbed Enso for iOS after seeing it featured on Andre LaFosse's channel (recommend it for experimental looping ideas). Looks like a lot of fun, really looking forward to giving it a go:

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    blackhole is an excellent reverb, does subtle to insane. micro pitch, crystals and q vox are a bit more of a challenge to get everyday guitary sounds out of ( not a problem, as I'm rarely looking to recreate traditional tones ) but can and do get very out there with very little effort.