Grooveboxes, synths, iPad rabbit hole

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    d8m said:
    d8m said:
    I only discovered today that the SP404 MKII: https://www.roland.com/uk/products/sp-404mk2/

Can record in guitar while playing a loop and has built in Boss amp modelling.
    That's super cool and something I've been wanting for ages. 

I'm amazed they aren't more popular with guitarists, but they don't seem to promote that feature (The MKI couldn't do it) and due to the chip shortage it's been impossible to get hold of anyway.
    Im trying to not look into the SP404 MKII that much as GAS will start....!

I'd probably buy one if there was so way of sequencing other than finger drumming. 
    I was looking at a model cycles the other day then thanks to some of your posts slipped towards Circuit tracks!

Ive been fully iPad untill now but its my birthday next month so fancy getting into the hardware game.

Talk me out of it!!!

I won't, they are brilliant!

I have GAS for the new Polyend Play that's coming out at Superbooth so I might be persuaded to part with my Circuit Tracks if you are after one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    I only discovered today that the SP404 MKII: https://www.roland.com/uk/products/sp-404mk2/

I'm amazed they aren't more popular with guitarists, but they don't seem to promote that feature (The MKI couldn't do it) and due to the chip shortage it's been impossible to get hold of anyway.
    It's a bit different, but might be worth looking at the Poly Effects Beebo, got those Mutable Instruments modules and a fantastic looper, IRs, conv reverbs. I've not yet hooked it all up and had them running at the same time though, so not sure whether the CPU can do all at once. I have the looper, cabsims and reverbs running together at the moment.
    tFB Trader

It's a bit different, but might be worth looking at the Poly Effects Beebo, got those Mutable Instruments modules and a fantastic looper, IRs, conv reverbs. I've not yet hooked it all up and had them running at the same time though, so not sure whether the CPU can do all at once. I have the looper, cabsims and reverbs running together at the moment.

I ideally would want something which is at heart a sequencer. 

I could get a Decent looper and MIDI sync it to my Circuit Tracks or Polyend Tracker, but I would want the ability to chop up and process the guitar loops I was recording in. 

The Elektron Octatrack is amazing at this, but it's extremely expensive and legendarily hard to learn, the SP404 seems to be very good at it and even allows you to effectively reamp your guitar in the box, but it's a very limited sequencer. Probably a good box to combo with another device like a Syntakt, or Digitone.
    There's also the MPC line up. The Akai Force seems to go for £650 - £720 2nd hand, which is a bit cheaper than the Octatrak.

I was seriously considering one of these for quite a long time. For now I'm getting a lot of what I wanted out using an iPad with my audio interface, so have held off on it.

tFB Trader
    There's also the MPC line up. The Akai Force seems to go for £650 - £720 2nd hand, which is a bit cheaper than the Octatrak.

I was seriously considering one of these for quite a long time. For now I'm getting a lot of what I wanted out using an iPad with my audio interface, so have held off on it.

The Force seems like a bit of an appendix in the Akai lineup and so close to Ableton in a box that I'd feel like just moving to a laptop. 

I very nearly bought an MPC Live II, but I was a bit worried it was so DAW like that I would lose the immediacy of the groovebox concept. They do look amazing and the software update support has been next level so it's possible I might buy one in future.

The MC-707 is so close to being the perfect box but it's let down by pathetic sample time. 

The Verselab could maybe do it, but it's weirdly vocal focussed without thinking about guitar players.

i know what you mean. Does feel like there’s a gap in the narbet regards samplers 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I know it’s not hardware per say but have you looked at Loopy Pro on iPad? It’s very configurable so might be able to achieve what you are after.

tFB Trader

Woodbrass have leaked the specs of the Polyend Play

Looks like the same capabilities as the Tracker but without 128 step patterns or sampling. It does have extra polyphonic tracks for midi sequencing like the Digitakt though.

Not something I'm too interested in for the price, buy probably a good buy for anyone who doesn't like the tracker interface.
    edited May 2022
    One of my favourite apps!

d8m said:

It seems good - not got round to using it much but seems to do everything I'd want a sampler to do. Came across this fellow who was making a case for it over the SP404

edited May 2022
    d8m said:

It seems good - not got round to using it much but seems to do everything I'd want a sampler to do. Came across this fellow who was making a case for it over the SP404

One thing I really like about it is it has the ability to import video to extract audio, so I essentially screen record my Ipad playing a song in spotify then can easily lose an hour just chopping and playing around with it.

Other than that i run it in AUM and record output directly from other apps.

Drambo 2.0 update is live.

Now to spend some serious time getting to grips with this app.

d8m said:

After owning this app for over a year I am finally having a proper go at learning how to use it.

The morning I spent within 5 minutes I had chopped up the amen break, put a mutating bass preset over the top of it then played some chords on the on screen keyboard.

baby steps but so much fun!

• Just a quick note to say Eventide's Blackhole Reverb app is reduced to £8.99 at the moment:

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Just a quick note to say Eventide's Blackhole Reverb app is reduced to £8.99 at the moment:

Thanks for heads-up @personalnadir ;It's not just Blackhole, I'm seeing all Eventide iOS apps at lower prices – £0.89 for Tremulator up to the £8.99 you spotted and most around £4-6. Bundles are reduced too.
  • Just a quick note to say Eventide's Blackhole Reverb app is reduced to £8.99 at the moment:

Thanks for heads-up @personalnadir ;It's not just Blackhole, I'm seeing all Eventide iOS apps at lower prices – £0.89 for Tremulator up to the £8.99 you spotted and most around £4-6. Bundles are reduced too.

Thanks, good spot. Just grabbed the Crystal Harmonizer, Rotary Mod, Ultratap and Micropitch plugins too.
    tFB Trader
    d8m said:
    d8m said:

After owning this app for over a year I am finally having a proper go at learning how to use it.

The morning I spent within 5 minutes I had chopped up the amen break, put a mutating bass preset over the top of it then played some chords on the on screen keyboard.

baby steps but so much fun!

On Elektronauts people are going crazy about it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206

I have the MPC Live 2. It's amazing. I use it live with my band with an Akai MPK mini keyboard. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1211
    Bang for buck - second hand maschine mikro and an old akai sampler. Mines 2Xs2000 full 32mb and one with 8 outs. 50 quid the pair. £100-150 for the maschine, mines a mk1 and fine. That gives you modern touchpad massive libraries , a well known interface, as well as the  proper vintage crunch from the akai. 
    Dont worry, be silly.