Widest choice of acoustics in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2022
    just checked the Frailers website,  pretty good,  if you want a Martin................. disappointingly not a great deal else,  100+ Martins,  a few Taylors, 4 Lowdens,  couple of Gibsons and a Santa Cruz  and some cheaper stuff
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    bertie said:
    just checked the Frailers website,  pretty good,  if you want a Martin................. disappointingly not a great deal else,  100+ Martins,  a few Taylors, 4 Lowdens,  couple of Gibsons and a Santa Cruz  and some cheaper stuff

I'm seeing 30 Gibsons

edited February 2022
    bertie said:

I'm seeing 30 Gibsons

OK,  still heavily weighted to Martin tho..............  I couldnt see any Larrys sadly -  but TBH I didnt look that closely cos the amount of Martins were hurting my eyes and taking my soul  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    bertie said:

I'm seeing 30 Gibsons

OK,  still heavily weighted to Martin tho..............  I couldnt see any Larrys sadly -  but TBH I didnt look that closely cos the amount of Martins were hurting my eyes and taking my soul  

yeah, he used to have more variety before the crackdown on rosewood imports

yeah, he used to have more variety before the crackdown on rosewood imports
    such a f****ng shame..........................
    edited February 2022
    * double post *
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Coda in hitchin have a decent acoustic loft with some small makers featured.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    bertie said:
    I was in there just before Christmas and I’ve never seen so many Gibsons in one store, used and new. They definitely way outnumbered the Martins available.

it was my first time in the store.  Got talking with Frank, the owner, he’s quite a character with plenty of stories to share, though sadly not in the best of health. 

Definitely worth a visit, not many stores like that left in the UK now.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    ESBlonde said:
    Coda in hitchin have a decent acoustic loft with some small makers featured.
    Worth bearing in mind that they're actually in Old Stevenage, and have separate premises for acoustic vs electric. Both in the old town though. 

Hitchin used to have Machinehead, long gone. And John Myatt for more classical stuff. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No such store ( I wish there was ). Do you want the usual ( used = smelly / new = less smelly ) choice of Martin"s and Gibson"s,
    that have been traded in because a) it's a dog or b) it's ok but been bought/abused by an idiot who had no idea how to cope with a decent guitar. ?
    Beyond that, it's a roll of the dice.

The answer is to narrow down what you are looking for ( to some extent ) re tone|( what is that until you are what you perceive ?) , body size, etc. Then throw in budget. After that look at stores with a few guitars to check out Repeat and rinse until you get a shortlist, then work out why. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Peach have by far the biggest collection of Acoustic (and electric) guitars in the UK. It's not even close IMO. IF you haven't been to their place since they moved in to the massive warehouse in Colchester then it's basically like a Willy Wonka for guitars, that's the only way I can describe it. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4175
    tomjax said:
    bertie said:
    I was in there just before Christmas and I’ve never seen so many Gibsons in one store, used and new. They definitely way outnumbered the Martins available.

it was my first time in the store.  Got talking with Frank, the owner, he’s quite a character with plenty of stories to share, though sadly not in the best of health. 

I'll third, or fourth, Frailers. That's where my HD-28 came from. The owner was pleasant, treated me like an adult - basically gave me the run of the shop and told me to pick up and play what I fancied. Felt like the kind of guitar shop that's all but disappeared these days.

Shop stock is funny since Corona - places that used to hold a wide variety now with only a handful of midrange Fenders on the wall. It seems to be recovering a bit but, at the time, Frailers was the only place remotely nearby that had anything like a good selection.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    randella said:
    tomjax said:
    bertie said:

I'll third, or fourth, Frailers. That's where my HD-28 came from. The owner was pleasant, treated me like an adult - basically gave me the run of the shop and told me to pick up and play what I fancied. Felt like the kind of guitar shop that's all but disappeared these days.

Shop stock is funny since Corona - places that used to hold a wide variety now with only a handful of midrange Fenders on the wall. It seems to be recovering a bit but, at the time, Frailers was the only place remotely nearby that had anything like a good selection.
    I will have to try Frailers again as it simply doesnt sound like the shop I went into a couple of times.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    randella said:
    tomjax said:
    bertie said:

I will have to try Frailers again as it simply doesnt sound like the shop I went into a couple of times.
    Once upon a time I would have agreed. Have you checked the current  stock online ? Doesn't sound great.

artiebear said:
    randella said:
    tomjax said:
    bertie said:

Once upon a time I would have agreed. Have you checked the current  stock online ? Doesn't sound great.

surely still different to other shops, and where else is comparable in the north west?
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    Why has no one mentioned Promenade Music in Morecambe? Maybe not stuffed with Martins and Gibbos but they have quite a range of quality and mid priced guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4175
    randella said:

@guitarjack66 - oh no, now the pressure’s on! Don’t kill me if it disappoints again! :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know if it's been mentioned but guitar guitar are the biggest retailer in the UK.

You can ask to sample any guitar from their chain in one shop location, the proviso is you have pay a 10% deposit on each instrument for them to collect them together for you, but my understanding is this is refundable.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Smellyfingers ; - that's right, it is refundable, or they'll take it off a purchase :) 
    I don't know if it's been mentioned but guitar guitar are the biggest retailer in the UK.

You can ask to sample any guitar from their chain in one shop location, the proviso is you have pay a 10% deposit on each instrument for them to collect them together for you, but my understanding is this is refundable.
    any idea why they have no store in the Liverpool-Manchester Area?