Widest choice of acoustics in the UK

What's Hot
Friends, where, in your opinion, is the best place to go for a quality new acoustic guitar.  Which store/stores has the widest choice, biggest selection - am thinking Taylor, Martin, Gibson and Larrivee.  D-28 has always been my dream guitar but I want to play as many in one place, ideally a D-18, D & HD-28, Taylor 717 in the same place before I make my choice...without driving for hundreds of miles between playing them.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited February 2022
    Tough one. Last time shopping for my friend we did GuitarGuitar Epsom & Guitar Village Farnham, Surrey in an afternoon. Still bloody far for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Guitar Village is good but not worth that distance trip unless you're already near. Its not that big!
    Hobgoblin are pretty useful.
    Failing that, Brimingham has a collection of shops all close-ish to each other?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop
    I started with a Taylor, and was disappointed once I'd tried the brands below

Lowden - plenty of these around the UK shops 
    Avalon - very good value in the UK

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

In particular try Frailers in Runcorn - they have new Lowdens and many used Gibsons, Martins, Larrivees
    and Coda have lots of new stuff including Lowdens 
  • Tough one. Last time shopping for my friend we did GuitarGuitar Epsom & Guitar Village Farnham, Surrey in an afternoon. Still bloody far for you. 
    Thanks - not bothered about distance but Guitar Village have a lot in stock and were not on my radar.  Appreciate the steer

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited February 2022
    PMT would have D18, D&HD28 and Taylor 717 normally, but I don't think they stock Larries. GuitarGuutar, as mentioned, usually has Martin, Gibson and Taylor. That's where I bought my HD28. However, there's a shortage of these brands atm due to Covid restrictions  
  • GV are great and I've had 2 great acoustics from them. Coda isn't too far either (in context of a trip from Derby...) 

I'd strongly recommend trying an Atkin for an old-Martin-style thing, and they're a big stockist. This one is out of stock but I'd bet it knocks spots off a boggo D18

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/atkin-essential-d-aged-natural

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I'd second popping into a branch of Guitar Guitar, just for having a lot of guitars by a representative number of brands to try in one space. 
  • Lots of Martin and Taylor at Peach when I visited them shortly before Christmas. And a nice environment in which to try them out. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mellish said:
    PMT would have D18, D&HD28 and Taylor 717 normally, but I don't think they stock Larries. GuitarGuutar, as mentioned, usually has Martin, Gibson and Taylor. That's where I bought my HD28. However, there's a shortage of these brands atm due to Covid restrictions  
    I wanted to check some stuff out in Cardiff PMT - their website said they had stock, made a trip down, nothing was there.

Check first by calling.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I was going to mention Acoustic Music Co.  in Brighton which used to stock nearly every "top end"  -  just seen the website and now its just mandolins,  Even  Ivors  seems to have shed "all the good stuff"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    I was going to mention Acoustic Music Co.  in Brighton which used to stock nearly every "top end"  -  just seen the website and now its just mandolins,  Even  Ivors  seems to have shed "all the good stuff"
    Trevor at Acoustic music is retiring now
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
    BlazeHelm said:
    Friends, where, in your opinion, is the best place to go for a quality new acoustic guitar.  Which store/stores has the widest choice, biggest selection - am thinking Taylor, Martin, Gibson and Larrivee.  D-28 has always been my dream guitar but I want to play as many in one place, ideally a D-18, D & HD-28, Taylor 717 in the same place before I make my choice...without driving for hundreds of miles between playing them.....
    I have a beautiful D28 for sale. £1000 cheaper than retail. 
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    I'd second Frailers in Runcorn
    MrTee said:
    I'd second Frailers in Runcorn
    yep, no one seems to know about it, I've seen people turn up on a train from London, pick a Martin, and off they go, it's a huge and varied selection

Frank even used to have about 10 Larrivees at a time in there at one time

to those who don't know, Frank is past retirement age, and doesn't owe any money on the premises, so does not have to mark things up as much as other places. He used to fly to several guitar shows a year in the USA, and buy hundreds of used acoustics, but that's been curtailed by the rosewood ban and covid, so he does a lot more new stuff now as well
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    ....and his in store notice board has been home to many a fine guitar for sale from some big names too
  • I would add Gear 4 Music to this list with a caution, you have arrange for them tp have the guitar broughtt in to their showroom from their warehose, plus their range and stock of acoustics tends to be clustered around the big brands, like Taylor.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Forsyths in Manchester is also worth popping into, especially if you’re heading to Runcorn for Frailers. 
  • I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

In particular try Frailers in Runcorn - they have new Lowdens and many used Gibsons, Martins, Larrivees
    I live in Runcorn but dont use Frailers at all due to the horrible attitude of the fella that runs it when I went in there my first couple of times. I always shop up the road at Ideal Sounds,but Karl tends not to sell new. He also has a second shop across the road for storage. 
    I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

I live in Runcorn but dont use Frailers at all due to the horrible attitude of the fella that runs it when I went in there my first couple of times. I always shop up the road at Ideal Sounds,but Karl tends not to sell new. He also has a second shop across the road for storage. 
    wow, you're the first person I've heard say a bad word about him, everyone I know thinks he's ok
  • I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

wow, you're the first person I've heard say a bad word about him, everyone I know thinks he's ok
    Oh right. My guitar teacher was not even surprised when I mentioned the fella's poor attitude and my teacher is local too. Maybe I caught him on a couple of bad days? Surprisingly too,the native Runcorn people can still have a bad attitude to those of us originally from Liverpool,especially some of the older ones. Anyway,maybe I am seeing something that's not there? I'm just too old now to tolerate anything other than just good manners and civility. I try to do it.