Widest choice of acoustics in the UK

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GomersGomers Frets: 17
    Another big fan of Frailers here.  I've had umpteen guitars from Frank over the years.  My modus operandi seems to be, take current guitar to Frailers, play a few in store, trade my current guitar, come home, enjoy......and repeat....and rep. etc..

Was there 2 weeks ago and came away with a lovely 00-18.  His stock levels aren't the same as they were pre-pandemic, it used to be a proper Aladdin's Cave.  Still more stock than most and much more interesting too.

He likes a chat does Frank, he said his trips over to the US guitar shows are at an end now, a combination of Covid of course and I think his own health is not the best.  We were discussing the lack of shops around the North West these days, since the demise of Dawsons and Sounds Great.  He now seems to stock a lot more new guitars than used, his only used stock coming from trade-ins.  He's been a Martin dealer since the mid '80s so can pretty much get anything in their current line up. 

The Guilds and Larrivees have all vanished now and his Taylor stock is a fraction of what it used to be so the sheer variety of different maker's guitars is not the same now, unfortunately.

Think the previous poster about the bad experience must have caught them on a bad day.  I've always had a great experience and some of my best deals have been done in Frailers.  I'm a 90 minute round trip and must have been 15 times since my first visit and only once have I come away empty handed.

It's a great shop and maybe one day in the future, some of us could perhaps form a consortium to keep Frailers alive and kicking  ;)  It'd be a crying shame to lose that shop.

Forsyths Manchester also a great shop.

2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Guitarguitar, PMT and The Little Guitar Shop... Birmingham is a decent place to be for trying acoustics. 

I ventured out to Express Music in Coventry yesterday and was impressed with their setup, relaxed vibe and good choice of Taylors, Martins, Guilds and Atkins. I came home with a secondhand Atkin D37... and very nice it is too :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    I found some strings today,unopened,and remembered I'd bought them from Frailers about 2 years ago. Not everything was bad then!
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    And this thread continues. GG have a huge choice, Peach looks great ( I live beyond the wall , quite jaunt these days ).  Problem being that, there are so many UK builders working to a high standard not "represented in a local store near you" , I would only hope that you would look beyond the boring output available on your local guitar emporium,
    artiebear said:
    And this thread continues. GG have a huge choice, Peach looks great ( I live beyond the wall , quite jaunt these days ).  Problem being that, there are so many UK builders working to a high standard not "represented in a local store near you" , I would only hope that you would look beyond the boring output available on your local guitar emporium,
    I think that the boutique guitar prices are so high that their market is a lot more limited than your major brands in your average guitar shop. I simply couldnt afford to consider Luthier builds and I expect many others cannot either.
  • I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop
    I started with a Taylor, and was disappointed once I'd tried the brands below

Lowden - plenty of these around the UK shops 
    Avalon - very good value in the UK

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

In particular try Frailers in Runcorn - they have new Lowdens and many used Gibsons, Martins, Larrivees
    and Coda have lots of new stuff including Lowdens 
    I live in Runcorn but dont use Frailers at all due to the horrible attitude of the fella that runs it when I went in there my first couple of times. I always shop up the road at Ideal Sounds,but Karl tends not to sell new. He also has a second shop across the road for storage. 
    wow, you're the first person I've heard say a bad word about him, everyone I know thinks he's ok
    I also found him to be off hand and a little dismissive, not rude but also not very friendly. 
    I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

In particular try Frailers in Runcorn - they have new Lowdens and many used Gibsons, Martins, Larrivees
    I live in Runcorn but dont use Frailers at all due to the horrible attitude of the fella that runs it when I went in there my first couple of times. I always shop up the road at Ideal Sounds,but Karl tends not to sell new. He also has a second shop across the road for storage. 
    wow, you're the first person I've heard say a bad word about him, everyone I know thinks he's ok
    I also found him to be off hand and a little dismissive, not rude but also not very friendly. 
    I thought it was just me. Probably 'curt' is a good description of my experience too.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    I'd recommend also trying the newer brands that are more hand-finished or made in a small workshop

Bourgeois
    Santa Cruz
    Goodall
    Collings

I thought it was just me. Probably 'curt' is a good description of my experience too.
    Frank has always been friendly and chatty when I've been in there
    I was in Frailers today having a look around and the fella in there was pretty much ok with me this time. I just said I was looking around(some beautiful guitars there) and he said fine and left me to it. Had a brief exchanging of pleasantries when I left and all was good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom