Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John Cruz Custom Guitars(Update from John Cruz)

What's Hot

Comments

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1061
    Why a retailer would make advance payments to a new company of several hundred thousand euros is beyond me.
    A new company whose owner was tarnished from the off.
    With regards to risk, I just am astounded as to the decision making by the retailer here. It is insane to say the least.

Those figures suggest they would be funding the start up to a degree, yet the new companies experience and knowledge I think only went as far as guitar making in previous employment and not running a business. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23507
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been trying to remember the name of the other Fender Custom Shop guy who went out on his own, and it just popped into my head... John Page.  He has/had a very different business model, with production outsourced to Japan (I think, although they may have switched to the USA now) and much more reasonably priced guitars.
    You are going to have to help me now as well - Who was the guy who built the guitar(s) for Robben Ford - Espirit style - Had his own company and I think for a while was part of the Premier Builders Guild
    Gene Baker?
    Yep.  Ronnie Montrose (RIP) was also using Baker guitars in his latter years.  Both Baker/B3 and John Page guitars have been available at Coda occasionally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1504
    Was John Page the guy that worked there when the Custom Shop was first launched? I do like the look of his branded guitars.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GoFish said:
    Was John Page the guy that worked there when the Custom Shop was first launched? I do like the look of his branded guitars.
    https://johnpageguitars.com/pages/about
    https://www.johnpageclassic.com/

(I'm not trying to sell you one ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14619
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been trying to remember the name of the other Fender Custom Shop guy who went out on his own, and it just popped into my head... John Page.  He has/had a very different business model, with production outsourced to Japan (I think, although they may have switched to the USA now) and much more reasonably priced guitars.
    You are going to have to help me now as well - Who was the guy who built the guitar(s) for Robben Ford - Espirit style - Had his own company and I think for a while was part of the Premier Builders Guild

Gene Baker?
    ta - related to Ma Baker ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    She taught her four sons to handle their guns.  She never could cry, but she knew how to die.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1504
    Thanks @Philly_Q ; - "Co-Founder" no less!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    GoFish said:
    I’m sure there was another guy, a tall skinny dude with a beard, builds a downsized 335 type guitar 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2431
    DrBob said:
    GoFish said:
    I’m sure there was another guy, a tall skinny dude with a beard, builds a downsized 335 type guitar 
    Michael Stevens....the other founder of the Custom Shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    I’m still waiting for a Mexican version of Cruzs guitars. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    GuyR said:
    I’m still waiting for a Mexican version of Cruzs guitars. 
    So are Proguitar.de
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    I saw a video interview with him at the Cruz Guitars workshop and the thing that struck me was that as he introduced the other people there, the majority of them had little/no guitar building experience. Of itself that’s not a terrible idea, irrespective of what you might think of him having someone like that trying to train/retrain a load of people in a new discipline is laudable. But to try charging 8k per guitar for the result feels a bit adrift 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3950
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3509
    I know someone who went to vegas, Bought a lot of drugs and women didn't pay for them then he came back to england, the dealers were on a plane across the atlantic banging on his mum and dads door, if they didn't re-mortgagethe house they'd kill him. They re-mortgaged the house, I know someone else who did something similar and he killed himself. 
    He best go into hiding because people do things to get that kind of money back.
    So the dealers knew his address? And then his parent's address, too? And hung about in the UK while the parents went throught he faff of remortgaging the house, getting the money in the bank, and then cashing it out to give the dealers? They aren't very busy people these dealers are they? Must have taken weeks. They could have been in Vegas all this time dealing drugs instead.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2562
    vegas dealers are notorious for giving out tens of thousands worth of drugs to foreign strangers on credit
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12319
    elstoof said:
    vegas dealers are notorious for giving out tens of thousands worth of drugs to foreign strangers on credit
    ...not to mention the services of 'laydeez'...
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2562
    I’m not sure I could even take 10 grands worth of drugs in one holiday, that’s a lot of drugs
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4356
    elstoof said:
    I’m not sure I could even take 10 grands worth of drugs in one holiday, that’s a lot of drugs
    You need to try harder! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742 said:
    Why a retailer would make advance payments to a new company of several hundred thousand euros is beyond me.
    A new company whose owner was tarnished from the off.
    With regards to risk, I just am astounded as to the decision making by the retailer here. It is insane to say the least.

Those figures suggest they would be funding the start up to a degree, yet the new companies experience and knowledge I think only went as far as guitar making in previous employment and not running a business. 

It was a completely batshit thing to do to give that amount of money upfront to someone with no track record of running a business with the hope that they know what they are doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1391
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/234026/john-cruz-guitars-at-guitar-guitar/p3

Previous thread. In Sept 22 I predicted the demise on p3. My numbers on the euro millions are…..
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024