Vox Delaylab Review/Appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    Although to be fair had I known about the reverse/forwards mixability, I would've taken a punt ages ago. But they stuff what is a *VERY* unique feature into the manual, and do not capitalize on it at all. There is nothing else on the market that does this apart from the Line 6 M9. The TC Flashback cannot do it, the Timeline cannot do it, the Eventide Timefactor cannot do it.
    @Drew-fx Can you explain what you mean about the reverse/forwards mixability? I have effects that do reverse delay and normal delay. So are you saying put a reverse effect into a normal effect in series or is there a special patch that is able to process a signal in parallel and output a reverse and a forward signal at  the same time?
    In all 3 of the reverse modes the speed/tone knob mixes between fully forwards delay and fully reversed delay. Meaning at 50% you get the effect of two delays at once; one set to forwards and one set to reverse.

I've been using this in Tacoma for about 4 years and always had to resort to using two delay pedals; which is limiting because of the lack of presets, and very often the lack of sync'd tap tempo between the two. I ended up at two Boss DD7's which I recently sold because I was bored of them. Now a single pedal - the DelayLab - gives me that sound again, and I get the benefits of presets as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Does someone fancy giving me a rundown of how the tap tempo works on this? To be honest i'm always put off this and the X4, DL4 etc by the inability to tap it in while the effect is bypassed. I use a Deluxe Memory Boy and like that it can be synced up and ready before I kick it in.
    mike257 said:
    Does someone fancy giving me a rundown of how the tap tempo works on this? To be honest i'm always put off this and the X4, DL4 etc by the inability to tap it in while the effect is bypassed. I use a Deluxe Memory Boy and like that it can be synced up and ready before I kick it in.
    I don't find it a problem really. But you're right... you cannot tap the tempo until the patch is active.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Drew_fx said:
    mike257 said:
    I don't find it a problem really. But you're right... you cannot tap the tempo until the patch is active.
    can you save it once its tapped?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx said:
    mike257 said:
    can you save it once its tapped?
    yeah you can save it.

i remember reading about that issue that someone brought up, and another guy said that he saved based on the songs, so he may have had 5 analog delay's saved but with different tempo's...so there is that option given there are 30 spots to save.
  • If that's a big must have, I think the Nova Repeater can tap tempo when bypassed. I'll check tomorrow.
    @GavHaus

seriously mate, there is no reason not to buy this thing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    mike257;338507" said:
    This is also what put me off the tc and vox when I was looking a while back..
    shuikit said:
    mike257;338507" said:
    tap the tempo with the drummers 4 count?
    meltedbuzzbox;338666" said:
    shuikit said:

mike257;338507" said:Does someone fancy giving me a rundown of how the tap tempo works on this? To be honest i'm always put off this and the X4, DL4 etc by the inability to tap it in while the effect is bypassed. I use a Deluxe Memory Boy and like that it can be synced up and ready before I kick it in.

Yes. Or on part of the song where I don't want delay, so then I don't have to switch it on then immediately tap tempo, which would make the first few delays out of time
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited August 2014
    You cannot tap in the tempo while the effect is not active.

But unlike the DL4 it does not forget tempo changes every time you bypass it (only when you switch to another patch) so yeah you could potentially tap in in the count in then bypass.

also with 30 patches you could just have a preset tempo for every song.

Also another thing I liked: while changing the tempo makes a whoosh pitch bending sound when using the analog/tape delays, its silent when using the digital one, presumably because most people use clean digital delays for rhythmic stuff where whooshyness is unwelcome, a nice touch I thought.
    shuikit said:
    shuikit said:

mike257;338507" said:Does someone fancy giving me a rundown of how the tap tempo works on this? To be honest i'm always put off this and the X4, DL4 etc by the inability to tap it in while the effect is bypassed. I use a Deluxe Memory Boy and like that it can be synced up and ready before I kick it in.

Yes. Or on part of the song where I don't want delay, so then I don't have to switch it on then immediately tap tempo, which would make the first few delays out of time
    Gawwwdd.. that's a level of anal that even I don't go to!

Seriously... no-one is going to notice those first few delays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbot said:

Also another thing I liked: while changing the tempo makes a whoosh pitch bending sound when using the analog/tape delays, its silent when using the digital one, presumably because most people use clean digital delays for rhythmic stuff where whooshyness is unwelcome, a nice touch I thought.
    The reverse analog delay has a little tape type rewind type noise at the start of the delay. I was deeply impressed by that.
  • I've had mine a while, I really like that you can just use a standard volume pedal on a patch by patch basis and assign it to control one or more parameter.
    edited September 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    shuikit said:
    shuikit said:

This might be true, but it's more that it's an extra thing to have to do...  Probably something that I could get used to if I had to, but as it stands I've gotten used to working this way and in general (not just guitar based) I prefer to use tools that are flexible enough to work the way I do things rather than let them dictate to me how to work....
  • shuikit said:
    The problem with that is that I sometimes use a strong dotted 8th delay so the timing of it is 
    Drew_fx said:
    shuikit said:
    shuikit said:

This might be true, but it's more that it's an extra thing to have to do...  Probably something that I could get used to if I had to, but as it stands I've gotten used to working this way and in general (not just guitar based) I prefer to use tools that are flexible enough to work the way I do things rather than let them dictate to me how to work....
    It doesn't really dictate to you though does it?

Just saying, you know, with it being a programmable pedal and all.....
    Ehhh... I'm not fussed. Would it be better if you could tap the tempo before activating the preset? Yeah, but I'm not going to let it bother me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    shuikit said:
    The problem with that is that I sometimes use a strong dotted 8th delay so the timing of it is 
    Drew_fx said:
    shuikit said:
    shuikit said:

It doesn't really dictate to you though does it?

Just saying, you know, with it being a programmable pedal and all.....
    It does in that you have to activate the delay before you can tap the tempo....  I'm not saying it's a massive thing, just it was enough to put me off for the way that I like to do things when I was looking at them a while ago...

I liked the way the Nova Delay did this, in that each preset you could either set a tempo or the preset could use the 'global' tempo which could be tapped in before the preset was engaged.  The main problem I had with the Nova delay was that the presets were difficult to switch on the fly which I managed to cope with for a few years, then I got a bit tired with how 'digital' it sounded and started looking at other offerings...

At the moment I'm using a VS dual tap delay, which is working okay for me except I have to adjust a couple of knobs every now and again...

So - for me ideally, I want individual preset footswitches and a global tap tempo....

edited September 2014
    duplicate post