No Mesa Boogie amps in stock?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
Not sure if it's just Mesa Boogie or other brands as well but there appears to be pretty much no stock of Mesa Boogie amps anywhere here in the UK, or Thomann. Is this just global supply chain shortages or something related to the purchase by Gibson? 

Is "Pre-Gibson" the new "Pre-CBS"?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I’ve just bought a used Mark V 25 head (privately) and went in search of current stock in order to gauge the ‘street’ price of a new one. I rapidly came to the same conclusion as you - there are no new ones…
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    I seem to remember that Mesa left UK distribution/importing to a specific company which is part of the reason why the upcharge on new prices in the uk is so upsetting. That one company may have had Brexit red tape/ covid supply chain related disruptions, who knows?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited April 2022
    There are loads of problems at the moment- some of it is supply chain, post covid stuff, some of it is Brexit.
    I ordered a custom DW drum kit for my 50th over a year ago, delivery was for my birthday in January.
    Then it slipped to Feb, then March, now May- I am not sure I will see it this year.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24296
    A Mesa employee is on Basschat and he's been saying it's all supply chain cost increases and that the EU have more stringent and thus more expensive testing requirements so for the moment any stock they do build is staying in the USA.

No ETA on when that will change.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I'm a happy "pre-Gibson" Mark V 35 combo owner. The current price of a full set of replacement valves is eye watering though. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I’ve seen Mesa occasionally reply to similar polite griping on social media with something along the lines of part of what @fretmeister is saying above - the supply chain is a mess and the US market is temporarily the priority. 

I’m surprised they were selling many loud amps during lockdown at all but maybe now that things are opening up a little… just in time for panic-induced tube shortages of course…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup, supply chain issues combined with Euro regulations and the new Schumacher transformers.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It’s funny really, we spent decades paying over the odds for Mesa under the UK distribution of Westside, finally broke ranks and for about 2.5 minutes Mesa were sensibly priced. Now Gibson and ‘supply chain problems means that we’re back to a worse position . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    MESA used to use Magnetic Components transformers.

Magnetic Components have stopped trading, so they will have had to find another transformer supplier.

Transformers are a safety critical component so most companies use transformers that have passed the relevant approvals and then use these in several products as this greatly simplifies the approvals.

For the majority of consumer electronics you can purchase an off-the-shelf transformer where the transformer manufacturer has already done the approvals, however valve amps often use bespoke transformers and so if you change manufacturer and have to get a new part/s made you will need to get these new parts approved.

There is also a shortage of transformer laminations in the US (I've got this info from 2 separate sources), so this is probably holding up production too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    jpfamps said:
    MESA used to use Magnetic Components transformers.

Magnetic Components have stopped trading, so they will have had to find another transformer supplier.

Transformers are a safety critical component so most companies use transformers that have passed the relevant approvals and then use these in several products as this greatly simplifies the approvals.

For the majority of consumer electronics you can purchase an off-the-shelf transformer where the transformer manufacturer has already done the approvals, however valve amps often use bespoke transformers and so if you change manufacturer and have to get a new part/s made you will need to get these new parts approved.

There is also a shortage of transformer laminations in the US (I've got this info from 2 separate sources), so this is probably holding up production too.

This plus the UK approvals thing changed due to Brexit - now there are approvals regs for EU and separate ones for the UK. Its pretty much of a muchness in terms of the requirements, but now two separate approvals meaning two separate costs.

Another example of making Britain Grate
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Some good input above that I've heard from various sources - A couple of additional points - I heard from one UK Martin Guitar dealer that there will be no/little deliveries into the UK this year - Heard recently that PRS USA only had around 60 staff in most days in Jan due to covid - Hence everything is slowed down

Another story I picked up from the trade was all about the supply of parts, from different factories from different parts of the world and how many businesses, for a few years now, have relied on this whole 'just in time' process - As it improves cash flow - But it is now causing production issues - Effectively he said 'we can build the guitar - we can get the pick ups, we can get the tuners, we can get the bridge, the wood, the finish, but we can't get the cases'   - Which reminds me that my local hardware store was talking about issues with DULUX paint supply - They can make/mix the paint, but they can't get enough tins at the moment
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Some good input above that I've heard from various sources - A couple of additional points - I heard from one UK Martin Guitar dealer that there will be no/little deliveries into the UK this year - Heard recently that PRS USA only had around 60 staff in most days in Jan due to covid - Hence everything is slowed down

Another story I picked up from the trade was all about the supply of parts, from different factories from different parts of the world and how many businesses, for a few years now, have relied on this whole 'just in time' process - As it improves cash flow - But it is now causing production issues - Effectively he said 'we can build the guitar - we can get the pick ups, we can get the tuners, we can get the bridge, the wood, the finish, but we can't get the cases'   - Which reminds me that my local hardware store was talking about issues with DULUX paint supply - They can make/mix the paint, but they can't get enough tins at the moment
    The tins were an issue over 12 months ago when I last bought Dulux paint. Shows how long some of these issues take to sort themselves out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    When I was recently looking to buy an amp and still undecided what to get i did a lot of window shopping online. 

It struck me that amp stocks are pretty low across the UK from many major manufacturers. 

Really popular amps like DSL40 are hard to come by right now. There's some stock, but you have to look around. 

• So…when the fuck is this happening then?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    There's a secondhand Mark V in at Peach?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24296
    Mesa are concentrating on the US market. They have component shortages according to a Mesa engineer who is a member on Basschat. They also need to get their newest products approved for EU standards, which costs time and money.

It doesn't seem to have occurred to them to build them all to EU standards and the yanks can still have them. Even the Chinese knock off places build to EU standards.

Aside from the stupid prices for their stuff these days I would really be put off because of how difficult it will be to get spares when something needs repairing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    The Gibson Garage in London is opening in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure they'll stock Mesa, albeit at crazy prices.

Why wouldn't you just buy a second hand Mark III-V though?
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    The secondhand market prices for Boogie seems to have risen a little due to lack of new stock - but then again like all vintage/sought after gear, getting clean examples of the "classic" models is getting harder as the years go on 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    Opens tomorrow. Mentions Mesa, but no details. Mentions the Mk VII and the Badlander availability.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    The secondhand market prices for Boogie seems to have risen a little due to lack of new stock - but then again like all vintage/sought after gear, getting clean examples of the "classic" models is getting harder as the years go on 
    I’d say used Mesa prices have doubled for most models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom