The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    It went a bit Dan Brown Catholic Church conspiracy theory I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition there, but it was done very well. Cracking episode, looking forward to part two next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I thought that was a great episode. This has been the most consistent series for a long time. It so nice not having to moan about the dumbness of ideas. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    Fretwired said:
    Another good episode .. is Moffat better when he's not having to prioritise Sherlock? Creepy monsters, a few neat twists, a tight script, although the new sonic glasses are annoying ..
    At least there's a valid reason for them to be glasses now, as opposed to "They look cool!".
    <space for hire>
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Thought this was one of the first since getting Capaldi that made use of him properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    I thought that was a great episode. This has been the most consistent series for a long time. It so nice not having to moan about the dumbness of ideas. 
    It's almost as though Moffat's been saving all the good stuff for his last run.
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    axisus said:
    You could be right, although I think its more to do with the fact he has time .. I think for a period Doctor Who played second fiddle to his other projects. He probably wants to go out on a high.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Just caught up following a night away.  Bloody good that one  (both the night away and Dr W).

Fretwired said:
    axisus said:
    You could be right, although I think its more to do with the fact he has time .. I think for a period Doctor Who played second fiddle to his other projects. He probably wants to go out on a high.
    ...and maybe get another job when he's done ;)
    <space for hire>
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Fretwired said:
    axisus said:
    Shame he couldn't do that with the hot mess that was the last series of Sherlock.

Haven't seen Saturday's yet, but I do agree that this series has been far better than the last couple- tight storylines that actually make sense without the need for "timey-wimey" hand-wavey bullshit resolutions, but don't have the shoehorned-in feel of the really early ones. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NickLNickL Frets: 153
    With this being a music-related forum and all that, was I the only one distracted by the first few bars of John Barry's Thunderball theme repeating (uncredited) throughout this week's episode?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Didn't like this weeks. Disjointed and trying to be clever.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    NickL said:
    With this being a music-related forum and all that, was I the only one distracted by the first few bars of John Barry's Thunderball theme repeating (uncredited) throughout this week's episode?
    Well spotted !

Much better, looking forward to Ep 2
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Didn't like this weeks. Disjointed and trying to be clever.

I think it was deliberately disjointed rather than ineptly so given the reveal at the end.

The villains reminded me of The Silence from a couple of series back.

Preview for next week promises the going down of all types of shit. Steeling myself for all sorts of disappointment.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    It went a bit Dan Brown Catholic Church conspiracy theory I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition there, but it was done very well. Cracking episode, looking forward to part two next week.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/qbzFZ
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Thought last night's episode was OK. Some neat ideas  .. the people playing the military leaders were too liberal and weak. Some big plot holes - what lab forces you to be locked in with a dumb bike padlock style lock mechanism and pumps all the air out of a potentially toxic lab every thirty minutes without an override.

On the plus side its good to have a three episode story line. Next week's looks good with the Monks in charge of Earth.

Looks like Kris Marshall is indeed the new Dr who. There's a trailer and a voice at the end says 'hello'. It does sound like him. I can't see the BBC throwing a red herring out.
    axisus said:
    Looks like Kris Marshall is indeed the new Dr who. There's a trailer and a voice at the end says 'hello'. It does sound like him. I can't see the BBC throwing a red herring out.
    And in another leak Missy might be a Cyberman ...

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    Fretwired said:
    Thought last night's episode was OK. Some neat ideas  .. the people playing the military leaders were too liberal and weak. Some big plot holes - what lab forces you to be locked in with a dumb bike padlock style lock mechanism and pumps all the air out of a potentially toxic lab every thirty minutes without an override.

On the plus side its good to have a three episode story line. Next week's looks good with the Monks in charge of Earth.
    The line about searching for research on Google was utterly cringeworthy. Peter Harness wrote the two-parter Zygon episode and this had much the same flaws: huge world shaking events but some utterly ridiculous aspects to it. 

• Fretwired said:
    Thought last night's episode was OK. Some neat ideas  .. the people playing the military leaders were too liberal and weak. 
    Totally agree. UNIT / The Brigadier would have sorted it sharpish like. "Five rounds........rapid fire".
    edited May 2017
    I enjoyed it, but there were silly flaws. They walked into a lab with coffee's and even my 12 year old daughter said "they wouldn't be allowed those in a lab"