The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Put me down for a "meh". Rehashing the clara/Dalek thing, crossed with the Danny/Cyberman thing, rendering the entire Master/Missy thing pointless, though conveniently leaving all of it open enough that either could actually regenerate into someone else entirely. 

Bill saved by love, obviously. 

And the Doctor being in regeneration peril, except it's false jeopardy because 1) we know the doctor won't die, he'll just regenerate, and 2) we know a  new guy is getting introduced at christmas, so we basically know how that will play out.

Is the christmas one being done by Moffat or Chibnall?
    Moffat ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hope its not a woman as the doc tbh, missy as the master started to get up my nose.
    would be great if tom baker or hartnells doc came back for a series, whilst all this regeneration malarkey was sorted.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    If we are talking raiding the past ....

I'd love to see Paul McGann do a stint as the Dr on TV (he's done lots of radio). Did anyone see the short prequel with him a couple of years back? only a few minutes long but he really caught the Dr Who vibe superbly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    axisus said:

I'd love to see Paul McGann do a stint as the Dr on TV (he's done lots of radio). Did anyone see the short prequel with him a couple of years back? only a few minutes long but he really caught the Dr Who vibe superbly.
    He did the tv movie version in the 90's, the first real attempt at a modern reboot - Considered fairly terrible, but in fairness it probably stands up quite well against moffats most recent efforts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

He did the tv movie version in the 90's, the first real attempt at a modern reboot - Considered fairly terrible, but in fairness it probably stands up quite well against moffats most recent efforts

Yeah I'm a Dr who fan, I've had the dvd for years! Don't judge him on that though, you need to see the short prequel where they 'kill him off'
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

I watched that at the time, my memory of it is that McGann was fine but the whole thing seemed very Americanised and aimed at people who'd never seen Dr Who before.  But I only saw it once and my memory can be unreliable....
    Philly_Q said:
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

I watched that at the time, my memory of it is that McGann was fine but the whole thing seemed very Americanised and aimed at people who'd never seen Dr Who before.  But I only saw it once and my memory can be unreliable....
    I still think that the best bit is Sylvester McCoy's stint at the start. At the time is saw that and thought YES!!! This is how Dr Who should be! Shame they got rid of him 5 minutes later.
    I'd forgotten that it started with McCoy regenerating into McGann.  I don't really have an opinion on McCoy as the Doctor, I pretty much gave up somewhere during Peter Davison's stint and watched almost none of the Colin Baker or McCoy stories.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I really like the McGann radio plays of Doctor Who, but now that the bad stuff from the Time War has all been retconned out so it's all nice and fluffy and Galifrey isn't broken any more... why not a more happy/happyish Doctor?

Besides I thought Kris Marshall was tipped as the next Doctor?
    Myranda said:
    I really like the McGann radio plays of Doctor Who, but now that the bad stuff from the Time War has all been retconned out so it's all nice and fluffy and Galifrey isn't broken any more... why not a more happy/happyish Doctor?

The bookies think otherwise .. I think he'd be a bit lightweight. Even Matt Smith had some gravitas.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    Myranda said:

The bookies think otherwise .. I think he'd be a bit lightweight. Even Matt Smith had some gravitas.
    I liked him in Death In Paradise... written slightly less bumbling I think he'd make a fun Doctor... although, I'd love to see an Idris Elba doctor... all angry and scary...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I really hope not he would be awful.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Yeah I really hope not he would be awful.
    ... and shouty in the extreme.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Myranda said:
    Fretwired said:
    Myranda said:

I liked him in Death In Paradise... written slightly less bumbling I think he'd make a fun Doctor... although, I'd love to see an Idris Elba doctor... all angry and scary...
    I think Idris Elba would make a fine Master .. all angry and aggressive.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Idris Elba is a rubbish actor. He's not better than Jason Statham. I don't get it. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Idris Elba is a rubbish actor. He's not better than Jason Statham. I don't get it. 

I agree to a point - he's very good at what he does, but so were many great stars like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    It's odd, he was nuanced and subtle in The Wire. Dire in Luther.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    The bookies have her as favourite and she is great mates with the new showrunner so it looks like it could be a done deal ...

Fretwired said:
    The bookies have her as favourite and she is great mates with the new showrunner so it looks like it could be a done deal ...
    I've only seen her in Fleabag so no idea what she's like in a "dramatic" role, but I think she could be OK.  Probably wouldn't hang around very long, but then they never do nowadays.