Harley Benton guitars

What's Hot
dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
Do Harley Benton  favour 24 fret Guitars?  It seems the best guitar they have  is Amarok 6 which is - you guessed it !
 24 fret,  and all other guitars that have 24 frets have  slightly  better specs compared to the 22  fret guitars ,  i was looking at the range  when noticing that nearly all 24 fret have ss frets compared to the 22 fret guitars   , and  most of the 24 fret guitars have the better tops,   so to me they seem clearly  biased .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    They make basically one of everything I think!

Their high end guitars seem to be targeting the market for people who like good guitars for not too much money with no brand snobbery...

I'm a fan
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    H-B favours whatever they believe will sell this quarter. 

Define "better top". Attractive grain has no bearing whatsoever on tone. 

If a top consists of a 1.5mm veneer over plain looking solid wood, that is another layer of glue in the construction that the instrument might function better without. If glue sounded as good as wood, they'd make the whole guitar out of it.

Their high end guitars seem to be targeting the market for people who like good guitars for not too much money with no brand snobbery.
    H-B/Thomann manage to deliver at lower price points by cutting out the middle men. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    If glue sounded as good as wood, they'd make the whole guitar out of it.

That assumes that buyers ONLY buy based on tone. Makers have tried guitars made from carbon, resin and other materials but us guitar players are not particularly adventurous in our buying habits it seems. If you look on here how many guitars are strats, Teles, LPs, SGs compared to a thousand other shapes it shows just how conservative we all are. As for whether a tiny extra layer of glue could make a difference, I highly doubt it. How many people go for unpainted guitars? That is just another layer of unnecessary gloop but you never hear anyone saying it affects tone. Many (most?) guitar bodies are made from more than one piece of wood so glue is a fact of life anyway.
    The reality is that quality of construction and components are the key elements. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1405
    CE1 said:

How many people go for unpainted guitars? That is just another layer of unnecessary gloop but you never hear anyone saying it affects tone. 
    People complain about paint thickness (nitro over lacquer, blah blah) affecting tone all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    CE1 said:

That assumes that buyers ONLY buy based on tone. Makers have tried guitars made from carbon, resin and other materials but us guitar players are not particularly adventurous in our buying habits it seems. If you look on here how many guitars are strats, Teles, LPs, SGs compared to a thousand other shapes it shows just how conservative we all are. As for whether a tiny extra layer of glue could make a difference, I highly doubt it. How many people go for unpainted guitars? That is just another layer of unnecessary gloop but you never hear anyone saying it affects tone. Many (most?) guitar bodies are made from more than one piece of wood so glue is a fact of life anyway.
    The reality is that quality of construction and components are the key elements. 
    Billy Corgan does:-)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    CE1 said:

As much as I like Mellon collie and the infinite sadness it has to be said that Billy Corgan is a bit of a bellend
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited April 2022
    Yesterday I had a quick go on someone's new Harley Benton HB35+.  This is a 335-style guitar and it was literally AMAZING considering the price of £205 (inc shipping and VAT) from Thomann.  It strongly reminded me of an Ibanez and the build quality was just as good; set neck, push-pulls etc.  I have too many guitars to by another thinline f-hole now, but I'm very tempted just because the price is so low. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    CE1 said:

How many people go for unpainted guitars? That is just another layer of unnecessary gloop but you never hear anyone saying it affects tone. 
    People complain about paint thickness (nitro over lacquer, blah blah) affecting tone all the time.
    Really? Never seen any personally. Any examples on here? I could do with a laugh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    CE1 said:

IIRC, he's talking about paint colour, not the paint itself. Staining the wood would produce the same results. And he's not entirely wrong either. Lots of things influence what you hear [the perception of 'tone'] including what you're seeing, what expectations you have, your mood, prior experiences, but glue in the guitars construction? Not so much, unless it impacts your beliefs and expectations... :)  Then the effect may be pronounced.

If you wish to perceive something independently of other factors, you have to eliminate the other factors as much as possible (e.g. blind testing), but there are limits to that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    Has anyone tried the Hb Jazzmaster with the P90s in it? For £130 I think I might get one after selling some other gear but at that price I wonder if it would actually be good or just “good for the price”. 
  • foskfosk Frets: 140
    Reminds me of Agile from years ago, they were the darlings of the guitar forums on the internet!
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    By all accounts great guitars for the money. I’d probably take a punt on one if it wasn’t for the fact that Harley Benton for some reason makes me think of Fray Bentos, the makers of pies in a can…..
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Adamski said:
    By all accounts great guitars for the money.
    this, and nothing more. 

Bigsby said:
    CE1 said:

IIRC, he's talking about paint colour, not the paint itself. Staining the wood would produce the same results. And he's not entirely wrong either. Lots of things influence what you hear [the perception of 'tone'] including what you're seeing, what expectations you have, your mood, prior experiences, but glue in the guitars construction? Not so much, unless it impacts your beliefs and expectations... :)  Then the effect may be pronounced.

If you wish to perceive something independently of other factors, you have to eliminate the other factors as much as possible (e.g. blind testing), but there are limits to that.
    none of that matters,  its just the pickups............................................  ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    CE1 said:

As much as I like Mellon collie and the infinite sadness it has to be said that Billy Corgan is a bit of a bellend
    Wise words
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    Missing out the middle man and being large enough to have enough "buying power" to source hardware in bulk are the keys to Thomann's success with the Harley Benton brand.  They haven't gone as far as Behringer in building their own Chinese factory, but they are large enough to closely oversee and control the production processes.
  • fosk said:
    Reminds me of Agile from years ago, they were the darlings of the guitar forums on the internet!
    I still want an Agile les paul copy.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Bigsby said:

IIRC, he's talking about paint colour, not the paint itself. 
    And - from the text, I didn't watch the video - he actually says that his white Reverend is the best sounding one he's got. I'm not sure I'd draw the conclusion that therefore white guitars sound best from that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Bigsby said:

IIRC, he's talking about paint colour, not the paint itself. 
    And - from the text, I didn't watch the video - he actually says that his white Reverend is the best sounding one he's got. I'm not sure I'd draw the conclusion that therefore white guitars sound best from that.
    Hmm, I don't know. My white Gibson Les Paul Custom sounds better than my red Encore.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Their high end guitars seem to be targeting the market for people who like good guitars for not too much money with no brand snobbery.
    H-B/Thomann manage to deliver at lower price points by cutting out the middle men. 
    ...that's ONE reason why they are cheaper yes.

There are others...

Nobody pays for the name "Harley Benton" on a headstock, people are willing to pay for the Gibson/Fender name and so on, which particularly those two companies make much hay out of.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited April 2022
    ...that's ONE reason why they are cheaper yes.

There are others...

Nobody pays for the name "Harley Benton" on a headstock, people are willing to pay for the Gibson/Fender name and so on, which particularly those two companies make much hay out of.
    are you really telling me that an HB is equally as good as a USA Gibson/Fender, and its only the name on the headstock that is the difference ? 

Ive had 1 HB,  it was good, yes  -  for the money - but reality check,  its not as good as a "Fender/Gibson/insert name of choice"

Ive had Tokais that were fantastic,  "better" than an Epi, sure but as good as my  GIbbo LP ?   no. 

Their "low end" is remarkably good value  -but so are a lot of other "buy it in from the far east and put our name on it" brands  simply because the QC has improved  100 fold in recent years.    20 or even 30 years ago, no one would mention MIK/MIC Squiers with any reverence, but reality they have become great VFM guitars.  

I also direct you to the pic of the broken Epi neck/headstock what was posted recently.   I would imagine there might be some similarity 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom