So ... what's your favourite ever album?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    sev112 said:
    Axe Attack Volume II
    I was genuinely going to say Axe Attack. Definitely a volume I guy myself. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    How odd that they picked that particular album by that particular band for that article!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    edited April 2022
    The Vapours - New Clear Days (1980 Release)....Had the original vinyl which is now goodness only knows where so replaced with CD a couple of years ago. As good today as it was in my teens.

A small sample for your enjoyment....

My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • Grampa said:
    The Vapours - New Clear Days (1980 Release)....Had the original vinyl which is now goodness only knows where so replaced with CD a couple of years ago. As good today as it was in my teens.

A small sample for your enjoyment....

Wow, only ever heard, well, the obvious one of theirs.
    This sounds like a Bruce Foxton-sung The Jam song. I'd have loved this back at the height of my Jam fandom. Proper Foxton-esque bassline.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2178
    Nevermind, followed closely by Ten. Morning Glory a strong third. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    edited April 2022
    I was into Led Zeppelin and Status Quo at the time but then I heard Deep Purple's Made in Japan and it was a lightbulb moment. I realised how enclosed 12 bar BOR was and, fun as they were, the Quo were very limited. Always loved and still love Zeppelin but Deep Purple and particularly Ritchie Blackmore provided the reference standard to which all other rock bands should be measured. Ritchie was a genius and never sloppy. He didn't do drugs but Jimmy did. There's the difference. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    Off the top of my head, I'd have to rate Operation Mindcrime as "one of" my favourites. There's just so much choice, but I do think that Queensryche album is a work of genius.
    There are a whole stack of albums which were highly influential in my life, but Mindcrime stands head and shoulders above them all in terms of what I'd choose to listen to now.

Such a shame what happened in the band's later years, but...right there, right then they were at the top of their game and nothing else came close.
    True and it was a hard album to follow up, but I think they produced another good un with Empire. Not equally good, but still good.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine. Love the production and atmosphere. There's nothing out there that sounds quite like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    This is a tough one, as I will change my mind many times. But, constrained by the fascist rules of the OP as we are, then...

Ten by Pearl Jam. No, wait, Vs. No, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Actually, Appetite for Destruct-Illusio-Appetite. No, no, wait a minute, Metallica's Black Album. Actually, speaking of Black, now I think about it, AC/DC's Back in Black. Oh, shit, Led Zep IV.

Yes, cheating a little. Joking aside, I'd have to say Endtroducing by DJ Shadow, as already mentioned by one right-minded person here. It's fucking incredible, just the logistical scale of it is amazing but it sounds so good. I've listened to it so many times, and every time I listen to it through different headphones, or in a different car, or on a different stereo, I hear stuff I'd not noticed before.

But, fuck the rules, there are so many albums vying for the top spot (and like someone earlier, I tend to go with favourite rather than best, as I shouldn't be proffering my opinion as in any way authoritative), and this will probably change next time I listen to Vitalogy, or Morning Glory (oh, damn, Morning Glory, yeah. Add that one into the list above).
  • Can I just say that Morning Glory < Definitely Maybe, so it can’t be the best album; it’s not even the best Oasis album.

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Talk Talk, "The Colour of Spring " Pure, brilliant, beautiful genius.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Had to give a wiz for that, but had to go for Talk Talk Great taste !
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    John Martyn - Solid Air...no...Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden...no John Martyn - Solid Air...no...Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden...

Tomorrow, the choices will be different...and again the day after...and on and on. I could never choose just one. Frankly, my top 50 would be fluid.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited April 2022
    artiebear said:
    Had to give a wiz for that, but had to go for Talk Talk Great taste !
    John Martyn - Solid Air...no...Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden...no John Martyn - Solid Air...no...Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden...

Tomorrow, the choices will be different...and again the day after...and on and on. I could never choose just one. Frankly, my top 50 would be fluid.
    I could easily have gone for any of these as well - or One World.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, I think I might choose Bee Thousand by Guided By Voices.

On first listen you might ask "what is this shit?", but play it through a few times and the hooks / ear worms are outstanding
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Endtroducing by DJ Shadow ....
    That's had a couple on mentions so I thought I'd check it out. I cannot fathom what people see in that at all!!?!? I'm not knocking anyone's taste in music, but it is just so far from something I could find interesting personally.  Each to their own as they saw, I know that plenty of people would reel in horror at my number one,
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Have you got a Linn Hi-Fi?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    If I could have a second favourite and very different album to Thin Lizzy's 'Live and Dangerous', it would be Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' - perfection on all counts