So ... what's your favourite ever album?

What's Hot

Comments

• MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    axisus said:
    Endtroducing by DJ Shadow ....
    That's had a couple on mentions so I thought I'd check it out. I cannot fathom what people see in that at all!!?!? I'm not knocking anyone's taste in music, but it is just so far from something I could find interesting personally.  Each to their own as they saw, I know that plenty of people would reel in horror at my number one,
    Well, yeah, but I don't get why people rave about Pink Floyd. Really not a fan of most rap. Black Metal. Etc.

Not really relevant to the thread, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    axisus said:
    That's had a couple on mentions so I thought I'd check it out. I cannot fathom what people see in that at all!!?!? I'm not knocking anyone's taste in music, but it is just so far from something I could find interesting personally.  Each to their own as they saw, I know that plenty of people would reel in horror at my number one,
    Well, yeah, but I don't get why people rave about Pink Floyd. Really not a fan of most rap. Black Metal. Etc.

Maybe it’s a surprising choice on a guitar forum as it has no (original) guitar playing on it. If this were a hip hop or production forum it’d be up there every time I guess. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited April 2022
    The Beta Band, 3 Ep's. 

Still sounds like the future. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited April 2022
    prowla said:
    The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops
    Have you got a Linn Hi-Fi?

I have had - though quite a while after I bought the album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Maybe it’s a surprising choice on a guitar forum as it has no (original) guitar playing on it. If this were a hip hop or production forum it’d be up there every time I guess. 

I can see 'Endtroducing...' turning up on a forum listening party in the near future. Plenty of variety so far: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3258336/#Comment_3258336

At least you've had a listen @Axisus ;) Perhaps Unkle's 'Psyence Fiction' might be a slightly gentler one to try if you start with the Ashcroft and Yorke collaborations.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, for example if that cunt Vladimir Putin said so, I’d choose Sound Affects, by The Jam.
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited May 2022
    This, really.
    The Darkness - "Permission To Land"
    What can you say? 
    I was 10 when this came out, just days shy of turning 11 actually. 
    I've heard a shitload of rock/metal over my life up to that point because that's what I grew up with. Everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top, and everything between but these guys are the first band where I just went full blown fanboy. Got to have the singles, the EPs, the albums, all different formats. The tees, got to get to the shows, the fan club, the stupid desktop app they made, the monophonic ringtones on the Nokia 3310... the posters, pick up any mag with an article/interview, newspaper clippings etc.
    The band who made me want a Les Paul and long hair.
    You know?

But to speak of the album itself...
    It's just 10 perfectly crafted songs of no bs. 
    The lyrics are bananas and have double meanings.
    The guitar riffs and solos are absolute rippers.
    They made it for $10k... and wow where it ended up... multi-platinum sales, multiple Brit awards, Ivor Novello awards...
    Musically, it recalls all the bands I've discovered and grown to love since - Queen, Thin Lizzy, GnR, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Boston...

I can stick it on anytime and play it back to back. I can't do that with any album they've made since but that's ok. I wouldn't be where I am now without Permission to Land so, there you have it.

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4831
    edited May 2022
    This, really.
    The Darkness - "Permission To Land"
    What can you say? 
    I was 10 when this came out, just days shy of turning 11 actually. 
    I've heard a shitload of rock/metal over my life up to that point because that's what I grew up with. Everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top, and everything between but these guys are the first band where I just went full blown fanboy. Got to have the singles, the EPs, the albums, all different formats. The tees, got to get to the shows, the fan club, the stupid desktop app they made, the monophonic ringtones on the Nokia 3310... the posters, pick up any mag with an article/interview, newspaper clippings etc.
    The band who made me want a Les Paul and long hair.
    You know?

But to speak of the album itself...
    It's just 10 perfectly crafted songs of no bs. 
    The lyrics are bananas and have double meanings.
    The guitar riffs and solos are absolute rippers.
    They made it for $10k... and wow where it ended up... multi-platinum sales, multiple Brit awards, Ivor Novello awards...
    Musically, it recalls all the bands I've discovered and grown to love since - Queen, Thin Lizzy, GnR, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Boston...

I can stick it on anytime and play it back to back. I can't do that with any album they've made since but that's ok. I wouldn't be where I am now without Permission to Land so, there you have it.

It's a fuckin amazing album and runs me close to being the best, however my 11 year old self did that with Metallica and I was older when The Darkness hit. They are still very much one of my faves of all time and the band I've seen live the most. 

They're my fave guitarists of all time too, and they've also written songs since that are as good as the debut, but yeah not a full album as good. Love em!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Electric  - The Cult
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    bobblehat said:
    Electric  - The Cult
    Loved that album when it came out! Great tour as well.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6124
    Philly_Q said:
    Robin Trower - Live!

Robin Trower Live - Wikipedia

I'm not always a big fan of live albums, especially if I was very familiar with the studio versions of the songs before hearing the live ones.  In this case, it was the second or third Trower album I bought, probably in 1980, so to me these are the definitive versions of the songs.

Trower is one of "my" artists, in the sense that I still buy every album, 40-odd years on, even if they're not so great any more, but he was absolutely at his peak in the 1970s.  Yes there's the Hendrix influence, but Robin Trower - and "Robin Trower" was a band in those days - had their own style as well, with the wonderful vocals and bass playing of Jimmy Dewar (RIP) and not forgetting the drums of Bill Lordan (and his predecessor Reg Isidore).

I don't play this album constantly, sometimes it might be years between plays, but it never fails to make me happy (and I'm not an overly happy person).  It's just a single album, 40 minutes or so, but it's got a great mix of short, to the point rockers (Alethea, Lady Love) and longer, moodier tracks (Daydream, I Can't Wait Much Longer).

There's a wonderful bit at the end of the closing track, Little Bit of Sympathy, where Trower half says, half sings "thank you very much, goodnight!" and it always brings a smile to my face.
    I love this album too @Philly_Q. It's an incredible example of Robin and his band at their best. Jimmy Dewar's vocals are like nectar.  I remember sitting outside on a hot summer's day in the late 70s with this album playing in the background and thinking that the track 'Daydream' just perfectly captured the languid heat of that day. A truly wonderful memory. Thanks for reminding me. :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited May 2022
    Favourite ever is Performance, Rockin' The Fillmore by Humble Pie.

Breathtakingly powerful from the moment it starts. Incredible playing from the young Peter Frampton and the interplay between him and Steve Marriott was so exciting. It was THE album that inspired me to learn to play. The gatefold cover alone was amazing with all those photos of the band playing live. They looked cool as fuck and I wanted to be part of that world.

I mean it's  1972, you're 13 years old, you buy an album with the birthday money your aunt gifted you, based on the pictures you've seen on the cover. You've read about the band but never heard them play, you tentatively put it on the record deck and 'boom' you're hit by this..

Christ.. that was a life changing moment for me!

• westwest Frets: 996
    Kebabkid said:
    If I could have a second favourite and very different album to Thin Lizzy's 'Live and Dangerous', it would be Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' - perfection on all counts

seconded .... "wont you pour me a cuban breeze gretchen ..... "  i struggled with this also ,,,
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    The Who - Quadrophenia. Masterpiece.
    cruxiform said:
    The Who - Quadrophenia. Masterpiece.
    Monstrously good, and Entwistle's bass playing on it was a revelation to me back then.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    It’s too difficult to just pick one , impossible I’ll have a goo though and I pick

“ Aerosmith - Classics Live “ 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7329
    Just listening to Permission to Land now, as I never listened to it at the time. Pretty fun. I quite like that Justin Hawkins YouTube channel as well. 
  • axisus said:

I can see 'Endtroducing...' turning up on a forum listening party in the near future. Plenty of variety so far: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3258336/#Comment_3258336

At least you've had a listen @Axisus Perhaps Unkle's 'Psyence Fiction' might be a slightly gentler one to try if you start with the Ashcroft and Yorke collaborations.
    Endtroducing is superb. Yes no original playing, but samples from all kinds of obscure and old and classic jazz, funk and rock, with a very vintage and analog feel. The way he put all these together to make them feel like fully formed compositions is astounding.  songs Like Stem.... and Midnight in a Perfect World are beautiful, almost like classical compositions.  It's probably one of the greatest albums of music of all time if you ask me! A 10/10 if there ever was one. 

Yes, good call for a listening party @digitakettle ;