Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Saw it at the Bristol Guitar Show the other weekend. Jobo has bought it already. ATB were going to do a restoration vlog but I doubt we'll get that now

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3255301/#Comment_3255301l
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    roberty said:
    Saw it at the Bristol Guitar Show the other weekend. Jobo has bought it already. ATB were going to do a restoration vlog but I doubt we'll get that now

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3255301/#Comment_3255301l
    Thanks Mate.

I saw the thread but didn't read through it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    All good @rocktron. It is a great story and it deserves its own thread
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    edited May 2022 tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Agree - We could have moved it from the Bristol Show - At the time the Bristol Show was the 'launch' of the story as it had only happened a few days before hand 

Not sure what else we can add to the video clip from Mike -  @Roberty and me have seen it and held it - Can't say I've played it as it was a wreck - The ultimate barn find would sum it up - I love the history/story of the guitar and the old man's tales 

I believe Guitarist Magazine are doing an article about it 

But yes JoBo was in the UK at a gig last week and collected it then - The ATB guys took it to the gig and given a back stage tour my Jo 

How many of us wish our dad's had have brought one in 1967 for £50
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited May 2022
    I spoke to one of the chaps from ATB about it at The Guitar Show on Saturday. Cool story. Not many people brought it up apparently. Joe B was also very cool about everything from all accounts.

The guy we spoke to, David spoke to us for ages about vintage guitars, of which I have an interest in, and my friend who I went with has an obsession with, so that was fun. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2996
    roberty said:
    Agree - We could have moved it from the Bristol Show - At the time the Bristol Show was the 'launch' of the story as it had only happened a few days before hand 

Not sure what else we can add to the video clip from Mike - I've seen it and held it - Can't say I've played it as it was a wreck - The ultimate barn find would sum it up - I love the history/story of the guitar and the old man's tales 

I believe Guitarist Magazine are doing an article about it 

But yes JoBo was in the UK at a gig last week and collected it then - The ATB guys took it to the gig and given a back stage tour my Jo 

How many of us wish our dad's had have brought one in 1967 for £50

How many people had fathers that could afford to spend £50 on a guitar back in 67?  That's a sizeable % of what my parents first house cost them back in the late 60's.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I spoke to one of the chaps from ATB about it at The Guitar Show on Saturday. Cool story. We were the only people to bring it up apparently. Joe B was also very cool about everything from all accounts. 
    From what I hear, Jo likes the nostalgia/history/stories that go with such guitars - I recall the story about a Flying V he purchased a few years ago - And on one of his album covers he talked about a 335, that a son was selling, that use to belong to his dad - He sold it to Jo at a gig and as a final request asked Jo to play a song that night, with that 335, as a tribute to his dad - Which he did - A nice touch 
    I spoke to one of the chaps from ATB about it at The Guitar Show on Saturday. Cool story. We were the only people to bring it up apparently. Joe B was also very cool about everything from all accounts. 
    From what I hear, Jo likes the nostalgia/history/stories that go with such guitars - I recall the story about a Flying V he purchased a few years ago - And on one of his album covers he talked about a 335, that a son was selling, that use to belong to his dad - He sold it to Jo at a gig and as a final request asked Jo to play a song that night, with that 335, as a tribute to his dad - Which he did - A nice touch 

He also tells the stiey a lot of one of his bursts, I cant remember what he calls it, but it was the one he bought in or came from Africa, that one has a cool history about it being toured around Africa, and how the original owner toured with it..
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Wonder how much ATB bought it for ? Then sold it for without touching it ? Guess we'll never find out .
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2462
    How does Jobo afford all this stuff? He’s not exactly Elvis level of popularity is he
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited May 2022
    From what I hear, Jo likes the nostalgia/history/stories that go with such guitars
    Yes, like those Epiphone Lazarus Les Pauls, which all have a great back story
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    elstoof said:
    How does Jobo afford all this stuff? He’s not exactly Elvis level of popularity is he
    Doesn’t he do a lot of trading? His dad is/ was a guitar dealer so I think JoBo knows his onions, it’s not mad vanity purchases. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    mark123 said:
    Wonder how much ATB bought it for ? Then sold it for without touching it ? Guess we'll never find out .
    They were straight up with the daughter/father about its value - Mike touches on this in the video when he tells them it was worth 6 digits - Not sure of the deal with the owners as option 1) was to buy it  and option 2) was to undertake an agreed commission sale - Rules of capitalism apply, but they were batting with a straight bat with the owners 

ATB were planning on having it restored by Neil @Ivison Guitars , but JoBo was happy to buy now, as is, and maybe in due course he might post additional info on his own media channel - Not sure if he still posts on a certain forum 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    elstoof said:
    He seems to be touring non stop. He just played the Albert Hall multiple nights, and while I don't really listen to him much, and if you believe the Internet he's not really that popular but actually, he is. 
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Valid question - He is a grafter with sell out tours and numerous albums - Not sure of his life style with needing/wanting 2/3 nice Italian sport cars, an entourage of 'pussy'  a holiday home looking over the Pacific Ocean or a South Hampton Ocean Front pad - I'm not sure of the finer detail, but suspect he is a 'Limited Company' and the company owns the guitars - I dare say guitars to him are more important than other 'expensive' belongings 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2394
    elstoof said:
    He only tours arenas these days, and I think he's bigger in the States than he is here - as in, has-a-full-road-crew-convoy-including-his-own-chef kind of big. He's got multiple large properties stuffed with vintage guitars and amps. He is absolutely raking it in.
    Tim
    elstoof said:
    He seems to be touring non stop. He just played the Albert Hall multiple nights, and while I don't really listen to him much, and if you believe the Internet he's not really that popular but actually, he is. 

He doesn't just tour a lot himself, he also ''sends'' lots of other blues musicians and bands touring around America, as well as touring with them when he can.
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    elstoof said:
    He only tours arenas these days, and I think he's bigger in the States than he is here - as in, has-a-full-road-crew-convoy-including-his-own-chef kind of big. He's got multiple large properties stuffed with vintage guitars and amps. He is absolutely raking it in.
     I read a while ago that his touring model and appropriate 'entourage' was all costed, as a profitable business and has been for many years, even in his early days of climbing the ladder
    timmypix said:
    elstoof said:
     I read a while ago that his touring model and appropriate 'entourage' was all costed, as a profitable business and has been for many years, even in his early days of climbing the ladder

He did an interview about it, there's the bus convoy thing where there are a bunch of blues musicians and bands, an travelling blues festival if you will, him touring with his own band as a seperate thing.  The guy has his fingers in a lot of pies, hats off to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    He and his manager Roy Weisman worked out very early on that to make any money at all they needed to cut out ALL the middle men/corporations/record companies and do everything themselves on their own terms. They do everything in house. They hire the venues, put their own rig and crew in, record, produce and distribute their own music. No one else gets a cut.

He’s now pulling a number of other musicians up the ladder with him and giving them the benefit of the groundwork he has laid. Joanne Shaw Taylor being one of them. 

I like him, he’s one of the good guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom