Incredible Story: Rare Gibson LP Guitar Found in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    andy_k said:
    Not top wrapped, so maybe it sold again already, or this might be immediately post restoration.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?attachments/285872461_568776011280332_8243148922711898298_n-jpg.18244/

( Link probably won't work, but it is listed in bursts for sale thread )
    Has Joe got buyers remorse ? 
    If J.B payed more than 90k for that( which i think i read he did ) then its a bad purchase imho,even with the restoration it will still struggle to get more than 140k,maybe he's realised this and wants to move it on quick ? ,what i can't understand is he already owns a few original bursts so why purchase this battered one ?.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    mark123 said:
    andy_k said:
    Not top wrapped, so maybe it sold again already, or this might be immediately post restoration.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?attachments/285872461_568776011280332_8243148922711898298_n-jpg.18244/

( Link probably won't work, but it is listed in bursts for sale thread )
    Has Joe got buyers remorse ? 
    If J.B payed more than 90k for that( which i think i read he did ) then its a bad purchase imho,even with the restoration it will still struggle to get more than 140k,maybe he's realised this and wants to move it on quick ? ,what i can't understand is he already owns a few original bursts so why purchase this battered one ?.
    IMHO, thiis guitar is far from 'battered', basically perfect condition, just aged, played and now fully restored.
    It was played a lot ( 2 refrets ) and has only had a Bibsby fitted, which now leaves a shadow, and a couple of small holes.
    I'm assuming the tuners ( no mods done ) and pickups ( at least one ) have been replaced with sympathetic parts, so it is now a players grade instrument, which probably sounds great ( the fact that it was played a lot ), so I wouldn't imagine Joe would lose any money on it, and probably make a nice £15-25 K profit for taking the time to get the work done.
    Compare this one to the French 'case queen', recently discovered too, which has far less ageing, and will probably be valued at least £100k more, which one would be more suitable as a playable instrument?, rather than a pure investment.
    For ref---

• diapdiap Frets: 135
    Sounds a bit thin.

Maybe that's why it's a minter?
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    edited June 2022
    I guess this just goes to prove that not all vintage guitars are actually good guitars to play, or good sounding guitars. No matter how much of a holy grail item they are supposed to be. Take off your rose tinted spectacles and what you've got is something that is just "old and knackered" and well past it's best days. Beyond resurrection.

What do you do with such lemons? Can't throw them away, they are too valuable. I guess they just become an expensive ornament somewhere that nobody ever uses. Or they get passed around the used market forever more as the next new buyer realises what a bad instrument it really is and moves it on again.
    Keiko said:
    I guess this just goes to prove that not all vintage guitars are actually good guitars to play, or good sounding guitars. No matter how much of a holy grail item they are supposed to be. Take off your rose tinted spectacles and what you've got is something that is just "old and knackered" and well past it's best days. Beyond resurrection.

What do you do with such lemons? Can't throw them away, they are too valuable. I guess they just become an expensive ornament somewhere that nobody ever uses. Or they get passed around the used market forever more as the next new buyer realises what a bad instrument it really is and moves it on again.
    Whoa, I think that is a bit of a leap too far there.
    We're talking about 2 uncirculated bursts here, where do you get the idea that this 'proves' anything? or that these are 'old and knackered' 'well past their days' 'beyond resurrection' 'lemons' and 'bad instruments' ?????
    We haven't heard one ( the one that has been played a lot, and shows wear ) and only have a single YT clip of the other.
    Remember, we are discussing the holly grail here, not many left around to discuss, so I wouldn't be assuming anything about these guitars, unless you have first hand experience.
    YMMV, IMHO, etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    To me that "thin" sound on the one in France sounds exactly like dozens of YouTube clips of people playing blues on vintage Gibsons.  No better, no worse.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    Philly_Q said:
    To me that "thin" sound on the one in France sounds exactly like dozens of YouTube clips of people playing blues on vintage Gibsons.  No better, no worse.

He might have tuned the fucking thing. That first guitar tone stank as well - how do you get it that buzzy?

I'm afraid I clearly don't/can't/unable to appreciate that.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Philly_Q said:
    To me that "thin" sound on the one in France sounds exactly like dozens of YouTube clips of people playing blues on Les Pauls of all ages.  No better, no worse.
    FTFY
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    impmann said:
    Philly_Q said:
    To me that "thin" sound on the one in France sounds exactly like dozens of YouTube clips of people playing blues on Les Pauls of all ages.  No better, no worse.
    FTFY
    Yes, that's a very fair point.  Not sure why I even said vintage.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

How many people had fathers that could afford to spend £50 on a guitar back in 67?  That's a sizeable % of what my parents first house cost them back in the late 60's.
     ...just 6 years later ('73), I bought my first electric - an AVON SG copy - price new (without case!) was £45

18 months later, my first Fender Strat - £195 new (no case). At that time a Les Paul was £265
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    impmann said:
    Philly_Q said:
    FTFY
    Yes, that's a very fair point.  Not sure why I even said vintage.
    I think we all know by now, the 'tone' we hear on all these clips, old or new, comes mainly from the amp used, and there is a tendency to play this stuff through small Fender amps, which need to be cranked to get there.
    I don't think 'thin' is a word often associated with humbuckers, but old ones, or low output ones, work best when the amp is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.
    As Dan of TPS might say, 'dynamics and compression', you lose a lot of that subtlety when using modern or higher output pickups, and not much tends to work well after it has been through YT recording.
    One thing vintage stuff does have going for it, is we are probably talking about wood that has been dried out for at least 75 years and has spent a lot of that time as an instrument, some things tend to improve with age, 
    A 2022 reissue will be built from a tree that was cut down in the last 5 years at the most I suspect, so some of the mystique lies there.
  • ATB_GuitarsATB_Guitars Frets: 214
    andy_k said:
    roberty said:
    I saw on Joes Instagram he’s taking it to display at a guitar show along with some others from his collection so unlikely being resold. 

I suspect he might get to jump his favourite luthiers queue for a re-fret though
    The photo is from that guitar show
    Everything is for sale at a guitar show, JB probably has his eye on the more recent one that resurfaced in France, almost mint.
    Just to clear a few things up. No it is not for sale (yet) and Joe does not have buyers remorse, yes despite paying more than £90k for it - I would have bought it myself it it had been that cheap!

Not everything at guitar shows are for sale. We bring along items that are for show only and for the show in Orange County Joe bought a stunning selection of some of the rarest guitars out there as well as the Tommy Bolin Burst. None of these were for sale.

He has had Glaser in Nashville refurb it and do the repairs. He told me one of the pickups could be salvaged the other will need a rewind which has not been done yet so he 'borrowed' the PAF's you see in the recent pics at the OC Show.

He said he is very pleased with the way it has turned out and it will become part of his touring roster. He should be bringing it back over the to UK next year when I am going to take the last owner since 1967 to come and hear it being played which should be quite something.

The Burst has been renamed 'Royal Albert' by Joe!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Sounds cool - People do love to speculate ;)
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 87
    Joes also posted in the last couple of days him playing the Royal Albert with the borrowed PAFs.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18777
    andy_k said:
    roberty said:
    I saw on Joes Instagram he’s taking it to display at a guitar show along with some others from his collection so unlikely being resold. 

I suspect he might get to jump his favourite luthiers queue for a re-fret though
    Everything is for sale at a guitar show, JB probably has his eye on the more recent one that resurfaced in France, almost mint.
    Just to clear a few things up. No it is not for sale (yet) and Joe does not have buyers remorse, yes despite paying more than £90k for it - I would have bought it myself it it had been that cheap!

Not everything at guitar shows are for sale. We bring along items that are for show only and for the show in Orange County Joe bought a stunning selection of some of the rarest guitars out there as well as the Tommy Bolin Burst. None of these were for sale.

He has had Glaser in Nashville refurb it and do the repairs. He told me one of the pickups could be salvaged the other will need a rewind which has not been done yet so he 'borrowed' the PAF's you see in the recent pics at the OC Show.

He said he is very pleased with the way it has turned out and it will become part of his touring roster. He should be bringing it back over the to UK next year when I am going to take the last owner since 1967 to come and hear it being played which should be quite something.

Presumably as it had fewer additional holes than the Prince Albert?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    57Deluxe said:

How many people had fathers that could afford to spend £50 on a guitar back in 67?  That's a sizeable % of what my parents first house cost them back in the late 60's.
     ...just 6 years later ('73), I bought my first electric - an AVON SG copy - price new (without case!) was £45

18 months later, my first Fender Strat - £195 new (no case). At that time a Les Paul was £265
    £265 in 1973 equates to £2,326 now.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited June 2022
    andy_k said:
    roberty said:

@ATB_Guitars ;How dare you use facts to ruin the wild speculation of the experts on here!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think some people are confusing guitar shows with museums here, everything has a price, if it has no price label, you probably can't afford it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Here's JB playing it