Mint means mint

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5432
From an ad on my local buy-sell Facebook group. "I would describe the guitar as mint as it has very light play wear". 

Mint means  "fu**king perfect". It does not mean "quite good, considering".

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7217
    Exactly.  "Mint", or "minted" (as they often say around where I stay) = "In freshly minted condition" obviously related to manufacture of coins.  Coin collectors would love a Kruger Rand with light signs of usage, and you wouldn't expect to receive a set of special edition coins with signs or wear.  Maybe he thinks it's like a slightly sucked mint sweet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2996
    edited May 2022
    BillDL said:
    Exactly.  "Mint", or "minted" (as they often say around where I stay) = "In freshly minted condition" obviously related to manufacture of coins.  Coin collectors would love a Kruger Rand with light signs of usage, and you wouldn't expect to receive a set of special edition coins with signs or wear.  Maybe he thinks it's like a slightly sucked mint sweet.

No we don't, thats why bullion coins are sold in either capsules - for a single coin, tubes - from 5 to 25 coins, and ''slabs'' - coins that have been graded.  And then there is the whole coin grading thing, the Sheldon Scale being the most popular one in use today around the world, and how - deopending on coin mingtage and rarity/desirability, a coin graded as ''MS70'' can be worth ten times as much if not more than the same coin with a grading of ''MS69''.  And it is possible to get coins from the end of the 19th century and begining of the 20th century that have never left their packaging since they left the mint - I've not long completed a collecting a set of 1914 full gold Sovereigns that have never left the card squares that they left the various different mints in.  Even Krugerrands, it's actually very easy to buy a 1967 Krugerrand that has never been taken out of it's capsule, or tube, and with Krugerrands - introduced in 1967, the premium on  a first year mint, is very little compared to a 2022 minted Krugerrand, they're not even close to being worth an extra 50% more than the latest batch to leave the mint.  These sorts of coins are made from precious and semi precious metals, unlike guitars, scratchers and wear are very very unwanted traits, that's lost  weight, it's not much weight, but enough scratches and wear will reduce the value of any coin to it's melt value.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Maybe it's got a hole in it.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1117
    I bought a pedal listed as mint recently, the seller got really pissy when I mentioned the glue residue all over the back. Just don’t list it as mint unless it really is - I don’t really care if a pedal is merely in excellent condition unless you make me care by claiming otherwise 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    I'd never use terms like mint if selling and I always have a few questions about condition when buying as it seems we don't all view things in the same way! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    Agreed!
    One of my favourites 'the guitar is in mint condition apart from a slight scratch on the headstock, etc'. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5036
    edited May 2022
    If a guitar for sale that I’m interested in says excellent or mint condition but you can’t really tell from the pics, I’ll ask for details - any marks, dings, scratches, fretwear…? It’s surprising how often the reply says something like - just a few small marks and scratches, nothing through the paintwork, very little fretwear…
    Right, so actually it’s not in ‘excellent condition’ at all!  s
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Minty seems to be a new word for bedroom dealers. Almost mint, except for the snapped headstock ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I like mints they're nice.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    If a guitar has been played at all, I wouldn’t use the word mint. There’s always the chance there could be a mark that you’ve not even noticed and a seller could find.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    So can you call a factory reliced guitar as "mint" if it doesn't have any extra scratches on it? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    "Mint, apart from the fire damage"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Kilgore said:
    So can you call a factory reliced guitar as "mint" if it doesn't have any extra scratches on it? 
    Or perhaps they get more mint as they deteriorate? So they aren’t truly mint until they completely cease to exist.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    CE1 said:
    Kilgore said:
    Or perhaps they get more mint as they deteriorate? So they aren’t truly mint until they completely cease to exist.
    Schrodinger's Strat? 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    been at least 10 mins since this thread occured last
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe it's got a hole in it.
    that was always the best bit
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    I always took mint condition, when used honestly, as a subjective term, meaning close to perfect, rather than perfect.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    I always took mint condition, when used honestly, as a subjective term, meaning close to perfect, rather than perfect.
    mint =  coin "just pressed from the mint"  as in perfect  - anything else is A1 and lower 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Some people’s bar of quality is horrendous, yet complain about Gibson QC…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    If a guitar has been played at all, I wouldn’t use the word mint. There’s always the chance there could be a mark that you’ve not even noticed and a seller could find.
    If it's been played as part of setting it up in the shop it's not mint?